Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

AutoHotkey vs. AutoIt?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic
TechNoah
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Mar 21 2013 06:26 PM

The AutoIt documentation is SOOOOOOOOOOOO disorganized. They don't have a command list like AHK does. That is why I love AHK. I learn best if it is presented in a A-to-B (A=B, A is B, A means B, A does B etc.) way.

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:

They don't have a command list like AHK does.

To be clear, do you mean that the AutoHotkey has a command list and AutoIt doesn't, or that AutoIt's command list is unlike AutoHotkey's?

In all fairness, AutoIt doesn't have commands like AHK does either. tongue.png

It does, however, have functions and a function list in the documentation.  If I google "autoit commands", it's the top result.

Andromon
  • Members
  • 129 posts
  • Last active: Jun 08 2014 12:09 PM

Is just my impression or is AutoIt community slightly bigger than AHK one?

Spanish and just learning AHK, please be patient with me! Thank you.

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: Jul 18 2017 06:01 PM
Really? I feel like ahk is bigger... Hmmm
Because there are new users everyday!
Hmmm I don't know.. Anyone got stats?!
:p
Why ahkscript.org? - autohotkey.com is outdated

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:

Quality over quantity...

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

Quality over quantity...

I agree.

If you use the forums as the size (quantity) benchmark, then AutoIt has a larger community. 53K+ members vs. ~23K. 1 million+ posts vs. < 500K posts.  600+ users online (in the past 60 minutes) vs. ~140 users online (in the past 15 minutes).

One observation that caught my eye.  The last major AutoIt update was released in December 2011 (last bug fix in Jan, 2012).  More than year since any release.  Something to keep an eye on.

Now if we could only fix this f#@!ing forum...

Andromon
  • Members
  • 129 posts

Really? I feel like ahk is bigger... Hmmm
Because there are new users everyday!
Hmmm I don't know.. Anyone got stats?!
tongue.png

Sorry I just have autist spectra disorder (lol, I know too much personal information for this topic...), and I start feeling like nervous when I get not replied in the forums, for that I usually use very big forums, because I'm constantly checking my email to see if someone answers me.

My mind is kinda strict, so if I start something, I keep it in the mind until I finish or I dismish it, for that I was saying that the AHK community is smaller than AutoIt, but in general I was meaning smaller than other languages communities.

But yes, I took a look at AutoIt3 and I don't like it too much, I'll keep with AHK for the moment.

Why I don't understand is why you say AHK is only for Windows automatization, why can't you use in Linux?

Zaelia
  • Members
  • 754 posts
  • Last active: Jan 17 2015 02:38 AM

This will not be arguments, but an evidence if we trust in natural selection law...

"Google trends" have more features and a new look, you can compare easly and we have a map now.

http://www.google.co...ohotkey, autoit

In short we can see that Unicode and x64 stole the trend global market but us forum transitions was(are) hard, therefore we are stable...

Also, you can check CNET (the major) or Softonic or other alternative platform:

autoit3.3.8.1 (added january 19 2012) 153,685dl with 68dl last week

ahk1.0.91.04 (added march 14 2013) 234,473dl with 450dl last week (always in top 10 in automation software)

In short autoit download are in a serious crisis, 2 years ago they was at same , last years at half (if I have good memory).

Add to this  for add a compare point... it's equal

http://www.alexa.com.../autohotkey.com

http://www.alexa.com...utoitscript.com

So it seems that trends and download battle are past (but not in France...damned froggies), however about forum, my personal opinion is that it's impossible to don't loose precious old members and we are breathless, the forum become less creative (less good script) and less atractive(rough transition) and less live (less troll in offtopic), but still helpfull with a gold mine community!

"You annoy me, therefore I exist."

Andromon
  • Members
  • 129 posts

Yes I believe that AHK is gaining popularity respect to AutoIt, but still a very few known programm.

What I don't understand it's why people say it's useful just for Windows.

gamax92
  • Members
  • 411 posts
  • Last active: Aug 06 2013 05:00 AM

Well, thats because it's written for windows. While you can perhaps run AutoHotkey in wine, the originial purpose of automating things won't work properly.

IIRC wine doesn't allow for windows programs to interface with the native programs, severly limiting what it can do.

There could be a linux or mac version of AHK, but it wouldn't have all of the same features because some are really just "Windows Only"

It would also be a major rewrite because all of the Windows Calls would have to be translated to say Linux Calls or Mac Calls.

Zaelia
  • Members
  • 754 posts
  • Last active: Jan 17 2015 02:38 AM

It's complicated and boring to write and maintain, for example that's why Poly used mono, in brief if you rewrite ahk in C# then mono will translate messages (if no bug or possible).

An other example, we can use Java Native Acces and we have to use http://en.wikipedia....X_Window_System or other lib, maybe the best solution but we have to write every feature depending of OS specification. you can have a look here if you are interested http://en.wikipedia....ative_Interface

"You annoy me, therefore I exist."

Andromon
  • Members
  • 129 posts

So I think guys are in general somewhat "geeks"

In general, I have in mind that geeks use Linux since they say it's better if you know programming.

Do you use Windows even you know real programming? Why? What's the best OS then?

tndstudios
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Last active: Jun 07 2013 02:23 PM

Autohotkey is the program I discovered first...

I'd like to mention though that the number of users on a forum do not dictate how popular Autohotkey or Autoit is. I've been using AHK for many years and I have only recently started to visit these forums. I am certain many other people are similar in that regard; not everyone has something to say about the program and instead just use it.

If it is worth anything, One could also say that AHK's documentation is so well-done that fewer people need help learning the ropes... now if only other programming languages like C++, java, etc would take from AHK's example!