Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

AutoHotkey_L v1.1.03

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic
Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:
As I feel that any further discussion about the documentation of Gui names is probably a waste of my time, I'll only say (paraphrase) this once more: What was formerly a "Gui number" can now be non-numeric. That is more or less the extent of the "new behaviour."

...I think I prefer "Gui, New, SomeName, hwndVar" or "Gui, New, vSomeName hwndVar" more...

Then Gui SomeGuiName:New, SomeOtherName?, hwndVar would be possible, since that's how Gui works.

But having "Gui, New" not change the default would be more annoying.

I will take it under consideration.

...hrm, OK...is there anyway to "use Git" (or any VCS) without fully installing it?

Just click "Download" on github.

(it apparently takes over Windows Explorer with alot of new menus),

AFAIK, it adds just two context menu items for folders. If that's too much for you, give up or get the portable version.

supercalifragilistic
  • Guests
  • Last active:

Yes. My previous answer to your question may have been inaccurate. The correct answer was that Gui names do not need to end in "Gui". It is added to the label name automatically, exactly the same way it was for Gui numbers. ("Two" and "2" should have the same behaviour; they're both names.)

Thanks for your answer, Lexicos. so will it be possible to change the text of the help file in the GUI topic under the Label point. May be you can change :

Sets custom names for this window's special labels. For example, Gui 2:+LabelMyGui would use the labels MyGuiClose and MyGuiSize (if they exist) instead of 2GuiClose and 2GuiSize.

by

Sets custom names for this window's special labels. For example, Gui 2:+LabelPoppins would use the labels PoppinsGuiClose and PoppinsGuiSize (if they exist) instead of 2GuiClose and 2GuiSize." to make the things more clear.

or something like that !!!
Thanks again for the good work.

• Guests
  • Last active:

Then Gui SomeGuiName:New, SomeOtherName?, hwndVar would be possible, since that's how Gui works.

...that's how Gui currently works, it doesn't have to be supported or documented like that in the future. Tacking a number (& now a name) on the front of a Gui command was likely a "quick hack" to make it work, we don't have to continue down that path. Design a syntax that looks good & makes sense, not one that handles all the old possible cases.

Just click "Download" on github.

...but OK, that gets me the files to edit, but then how do I "push" the changes back to you?

Did you look at how my Gui_New() behaves? I think I like the result of it.

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:

it doesn't have to be supported or documented like that in the future.

I see no good reason to change it.

Tacking a number (& now a name) on the front of a Gui command was likely a "quick hack" to make it work,

I believe you are mistaken.

...but OK, that gets me the files to edit, but then how do I "push" the changes back to you?

I'm sure you can think of something. I only need the files, or a diff/patch.

Did you look at how my Gui_New() behaves?

No. Now I have. If I implement Gui New, it will likely use the same syntax as Gui Show.

• Guests
  • Last active:

I see no good reason to change it.

...because it looks better/cleaner?

I believe you are mistaken.

...in what way?

I'm sure you can think of something. I only need the files, or a diff/patch.

...OK, that makes it easier...I thought you wanted a GitHub pull request.

If I implement Gui New, it will likely use the same syntax as Gui Show.

...the current syntax of my Gui_New() is mainly cuz it's a function...& I didn't wanna parse out vSomeName from the options. I'm quite happy with my function, but it would still be a good idea to create a built-in Gui, New so everyone else can start off making Gui's the right way. People are always confused creating Gui's...especially multiple Gui's. I can only help them, on the forum, after the fact, since I can't improve their default learning experience, by creating built-in commands/functions. I will, however, get started on the Docs tho.

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:
Your personal sense of what "looks good" is not sufficient justification to change the current syntax. It looks fine to me.

...in what way?

mis·tak·en Adjective /məˈstākən/
1. Wrong in one's opinion or judgment.

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
  • Last active: Nov 19 2015 11:58 AM
imo current Gui behavior is fine