Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Decompile .chm files without installing anything!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2015 02:36 AM
Wow. I was looking for a way to decompile AutoHotkey.chm, to use the index.hhk as a sitemap.
Turns out, the help viewer can do that!
C:\Users\Nimda>hh.exe -decompile AutoHotkey_Help AutoHotkey.chm
:)
I hear 7-zip can do it too.

• Guests
  • Last active:
Now, I just want a way to "pack it back up" (with my changes) without installing anything!

TLM
  • Administrators
  • 3864 posts
  • Last active:

:shock: tnx 4 the headsup!

Posted Image

don't duplicate, iterate!

• Guests
  • Last active:

Wow. I was looking for a way to decompile AutoHotkey.chm, to use the index.hhk as a sitemap.

C:\Users\Nimda>hh.exe -decompile AutoHotkey_Help AutoHotkey.chm
:)
I hear 7-zip can do it too.

thank you VERY much for the hint with "7-zip" ! great day, best wishes

osirisgothra
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: May 13 2015 03:06 PM

If you are using .*n[ui]x (aka *nix), you can just use '7z e FILE.CHM' just be sure to have the file in it's own empty directory before doing this because it will use the current directory as a base unless you specify one. Type '7z' by itself to get quick help on how to use it.

If you are new to linux/freebsd or simmilar OSes, read this first: You need to be in a shell to do this, you can run a shell from almost any GUI by either pressing CTRL+ALT+F2 (to avoid vt0 or vt7 or vt12) and get back to the GUI by pressing ALT+RIGHT_ARROW untill you get a GUI again _OR_ press CTRL+F2 while in your favorite window manager (default key binding for running programs) and type x-terminal-emulator, which will pick the default terminal for your system. The reason I say that is because some of the systems are no longer shipping with xterm (i just upgraded to Kubuntu 15.04 with KDE5 and there is no xterm, and soon there will be no X either).  I hope that helps (didnt want to put you new guys into the shell without knowing how to get back). MAC USERS: I have no **cking clue, sorry.