Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Humans [Rant]

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic
NictraSavios
  • Members
  • 75 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2015 03:51 AM

Today nearly each key has just one functionality. I think this is a legacy of the mechanical type writer where it wasn't possible or needed to build complex/dynamic keyboard layouts.

There are 3 main reasons for this.

1) I know us programmers are sheltered, we sometimes forget but I will remind you. Humans Are Idiots. It sounds complex if you say:

"Hold this key and this key makes this key do that, but hold just that key and this key and it dose this, now hold that one and this one and it now dose something different"

Then they give up and use the easy solution... no matter how expensive or stupid.

No... Humans like A to B ... This Dose This. Thats why the majority of computer users know none or almost no keyboard shortcuts

2) Legacy of the old keyboards. Hey... those 50-70 year old basement nerds like it the way it is. And right now, they own the companies that make our crap.

3) Its much faster to type with both hands constantly clicking then holding down keys and remembering complex sequences.

Oh and also.... WinKey, Fn Key, Capslock, Alt, Cnrl + Keys ... still say each key only has one function ?

[Split from Wish List. ~jaco0646]

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts
  • Last active: Nov 30 2018 08:50 PM

I know us programmers are sheltered, we sometimes forget but I will remind you. Humans Are Idiots.

Espcially as regards the fact that you, I and virtually every other member of these forums is a human behind a computer somewhere, I think it's worth reminding you that humans are not idiots. The modern world is full of complex operations and tasks that the "stupid person" must go through every day, and yet they manage to do it repeatedly with few (if any) problems. This article speaks very well to that point.

NictraSavios
  • Members
  • 75 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2015 03:51 AM

I know us programmers are sheltered, we sometimes forget but I will remind you. Humans Are Idiots.

Espcially as regards the fact that you, I and virtually every other member of these forums is a human behind a computer somewhere, I think it's worth reminding you that humans are not idiots. The modern world is full of complex operations and tasks that the "stupid person" must go through every day, and yet they manage to do it repeatedly with few (if any) problems. This article speaks very well to that point.

I am not targeting computer users. The vast majority of humans are uneducated and illiterate, by the western worlds definition, this labels them as unintelligent, dumb. This can be disputed, but I personally measure intelligence by the speed and clarity one is able to convey ideas... I've personally been to Africa (Niger to be exact ) and Thailand, I can say that even in their native language, those who are uneducated have difficulty doing those things. Education simply breeds intelligence.
( And of course there are always exceptions )

Now, looking at the western world. We have no ability to solve non-linear problems in comparison with those in third world countries. We have horrible motor skills and are not that resourceful in comparison.

Next year, for my 18th birthday I plan to go to the Vatican, where the fact that they devote themselves to one subject (religion), can make them seem very stupid in another... Although to offense to anybody, but I find anyone who wastes their life on prayers lacks rational abilities.... So they could seem stupid to some as well.

Say what you will, but if you simply change your perspective a little, anybody can be made to look like an idiot. So , in essence, my statement is correct. Everybody is an idiot to somebody.

Also... that is not a myth. If you believe it is, tell that to the upwards of 300 e-mails I get weekly, sometimes daily, asking me very simple questions that are all explained through common sense. I have had 12 e-mails last week asking me roughly "Does the button that says 'done' mean that I'm finished?" Yep. 12. 2 weeks ago I had 7 ask "Dose 100% mean a whole ?" ... and in my adv. math class a girl didn't know what anti-virus is.

Hell, look at this website. Users are lazy, ignorant and ultimately stupid... Myself included sometimes. We as a species are lazy and ignorant. The internet is no different.

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts

I am not targeting computer users.

If you weren't targeting computer users, why would bring it up in a computer user's thread? :?

The vast majority of humans are uneducated and illiterate, by the western worlds definition, this labels them as unintelligent, dumb.

And that says nothing towards anyone's capacity to learn, despite how that capacity has been used to this point.

...I personally measure intelligence by the speed and clarity one is able to convey ideas...those who are uneducated have difficulty doing those things.

And yet you measured their ability to do so in language, which is not the only means by which an idea can be conveyed (and indeed is a misleading indicator as many languages are not developed to the level of vocabulary that other languages are). And I believe that you need to examine your use of "uneducated," as to this point it has been used in such a broad manner as to be somewhat meaningless.

Say what you will, but if you simply change your perspective a little, anybody can be made to look like an idiot. So , in essence, my statement is correct. Everybody is an idiot to somebody.

This is a rather monumental backtrack on your previous position, not a vindication of it.

Next year, for my 18th birthday...

Ah, wherein the truth lies...

Despite what people do or don't know, that means very little towards what they are capable or not capable of knowing.

Eedis
  • Members
  • 1775 posts
  • Last active: Aug 14 2015 06:33 PM
I love you, Sinkfaze... Just wanted to point that out.
AutoHotkey state, the forum, Poly, and Drainx1. The short story.
I love my wife, my life, my atomic-match; for giving me the greatest gift a man could ask for, such a perfect and beautiful little girl.
9rjbjc.png

Mickers
  • Members
  • 1239 posts
  • Last active: Sep 25 2015 03:03 PM

Next year, for my 18th birthday I plan to go to the Vatican, where the fact that they devote themselves to one subject (religion), can make them seem very stupid in another... Although to offense to anybody, but I find anyone who wastes their life on prayers lacks rational abilities.... So they could seem stupid to some as well.

Hmmm... :?

I personally think that people who spend all their time trying to increase their material goods and pursuing their own hapiness and spend 0% of their time examining their own beliefs on is/isn't there anything after death are stupid.

If their is something beyond the physical world then its an infinite percent more important to make sure you understand your place in it than anything you can do here. :wink:

fred
  • Members
  • 263 posts
  • Last active: Oct 24 2013 02:02 PM
Of course i agree with sinkfaze.
My mother could not finish school because as oldest child she had to go to work but that doesn't mean she was an idiot.

But sometimes when i watch the news and see how humans hurt other humans (or animals) then i think people are idiots... :(
I'm just trying to help, so don't kill me if i'm wrong.

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts
I had missed one minor detail:

Although no offense to anybody, but I find anyone who wastes their life on prayers lacks rational abilities....

I'm hardly a religious person in any orthodox sense (I consider myself more spritual), but you have to look at what the prayer has to offer to the person giving it. Yes, it is sometimes impressed upon people as a rite of wish-giving, but largely what prayer across all religions accomplishes is to focus the mind on a more universal truth: being happy with and thankful for what you have and not bitter and jealous of what you don't have. And the prayer part itself is merely the performance; in order to perform well one must study what they're thankful for, rehearse how to say the what's and why's of their thankfulness. To that end, prayer assists one's clarity of thought and rational abilities rather than wasting them.

Eedis
  • Members
  • 1775 posts
I completely agree with Sinkfaze, although, I am an atheist myself and do believe, which is obvious from my standpoint, that prayer is pointless.

"2 hands at work accomplish more than 1,000 hands clasped in prayer." -Anonymous.
I love my wife, my life, my atomic-match; for giving me the greatest gift a man could ask for, such a perfect and beautiful little girl.
9rjbjc.png

Zod
  • Members
  • 214 posts
  • Last active: Jan 26 2012 08:02 PM
Prayer is the Jewdeo-Christian substitute for meditation. It uses the concept that we many are part of a larger whole, the world around us is not ours to control and to seek to be gracious. Many would consider these qualities to be sought regardless of pias beliefs. The statement

2 hands at work accomplish more than 1,000 hands clasped in prayer.

is quite narrow minded in that it leaves out the effects of prayer on those that do it. It is similar to the logic that an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of type writers could reproduce all the works of man
Posted Image Stolen from SKAN

girlgamer
  • Moderators
  • 3263 posts
  • Last active: Feb 01 2015 09:49 AM
There is a world of difference between religion and spirituality. One involves the soul and the way the person perceives and interacts with the "world" and the universe and the other involves formalisms, doctrine, and ritual. Far too many people today mix those up and get suckered into religions that give the nod to spirituality but limit the individual's spiritual growth in favor of submission to doctrine rather proceeding beyond the trappings of religion to the truth behind it.

But in terms of uneducated vs idiotic people I have my own views on whether education builds intelligence or if, in fact, intelligence pursues education to expand it's horizons. I know any number of "formally educated" people whose thought processes rival those of one-celled organisms. And and equal number of them who have never had the opportunity for formal education but who shine with an ineffable brilliance. You gotta love the human race if not for it's brains then for it's diversity.

The universe is a wondrous place! The faster you create unbreakable code, the faster the universe creates people that can break it. All scripting follows the rule Rule Of Twos -- 1) Good, 2) Fast 3) Cheap -- pick any Two.
I guarantee absolutely nothing about any code I provide except that it works in my machine. ‚óŹ
MMO Fighter   KeyLooperDemo   Key Spammer   TinyClickRecorder  GGs Password Generator.ahk
For the newest version of AutoHotkey and some killer scripts go here.
Rock-on%20kitten.gif

Mickers
  • Members
  • 1239 posts

"2 hands at work accomplish more than 1,000 hands clasped in prayer." -Anonymous.

I believe it is idiotic to put merit in something an "anoymous" person said. WHO said it is just as important as what was said. If Adolf Hitler made this statement than I doubt you would have dared utter it to make a point against religion. Conversly if say Obama said it the point he would have been making would have been completely different (he would also have been impeached).

Since no one is perfect and no one ever will (until the borg take over that is) opinions are just that. There will never be a simple correct answer for this or anything. That is until you join the six foot under club and stand facing with either judgment or nothingness. The only difference is being wrong and being non existant. :wink:

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts
I think the key to the debate over the quote is what exactly it means to "accomplish". Obviously two hands engaged in labor will do more physical work than 1000 hands that aren't, if that's what is meant by accomplish. But, on the other hand, it would be hard to argue that two hands throwing rocks at the Egyptian military earlier this year deterred them more than the hundreds (possibly thousands) of hands clasped together forming a human shield did.

Mickers
  • Members
  • 1239 posts
@Sinkfaze
lol that was a hilarious analogy as well as very well thought out and relevant.

Eedis
  • Members
  • 1775 posts
To me, I don't care who said the quote, it's the way I understand the quote and the way the quote is taken that matters (Also, it was a billboard. :D)

Also, you guys forget that I am an atheist. You guys wouldn't believe the quote for the simple fact that you believe prayer does accomplish something, whereas, I do not. Therefore, to me, praying does not accomplish a thing.
9rjbjc.png