Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Humans [Rant]

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic
tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM
Ok damnit

Your just being as idiotic as I am an ass

You said you stateing that prayer is pointless was obvious wtf is the frakkin point of arguing if it was directly or not stated

You just an idiot
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts
  • Last active: Nov 30 2018 08:50 PM

I did not insult prayer. I merely stated that, from my point of view, prayer is pointless. I never once directly stated that prayer was pointless.

So you just directly stated that prayer is pointless, then proceeded to say that you never directly stated that prayer was pointless. :roll:

Trying to qualify your statements with "your point of view" is silly, because everyone who has been attempting to discuss this with you has been addressing your point of view(!). Who else would they be addressing? Who else would you be talking about?

Let me try a little thought experiment with you: Imagine someone walking up to you on the street and starting a conversation where you divulge a little bit of background about yourself. After listening to your story, they proceed to tell you, "Well given your situation, having a wife and a child is pointless," and walks away. Don't suppose you'd take offense to that, would you?

Prayer, meditation, << your label here >>, is a major pillar of some people's way of life, just as your family is a major pillar of your way of life. When someone who doesn't understand your situations and circumstances offers up an offhanded dismissal of something that's important to you, they are insulting you, even if that person doesn't feel it should be offensive to you.

Does this make sense now?

Eedis
  • Members
  • 1775 posts
  • Last active: Aug 14 2015 06:33 PM
What I am saying is that I am not telling you to stop praying because it's pointless, I am saying my personal opinion is that it is. If they told me that in their own personal opinion, having a wife and child is pointless, then so be it, that's there opinion and not mine. They're opinion has absolutely no effect on me.

If I stated "You're stupid for praying because it's pointless." or "Praying is pointless, so if you do it, you're an idiot." then yes, I would insulting you. What I am saying "In my opinion, praying is pointless, but you keep praying if that's what you want to do." is not insulting anyone. Sorry if anyone is misconceiving what I am saying. I never once said you were stupid for praying, I never once said that you should stop because it is. You're being naive if you're offended by my statement.
AutoHotkey state, the forum, Poly, and Drainx1. The short story.
I love my wife, my life, my atomic-match; for giving me the greatest gift a man could ask for, such a perfect and beautiful little girl.
9rjbjc.png

Mickers
  • Members
  • 1239 posts
  • Last active: Sep 25 2015 03:03 PM

You're being naive if you're offended by my statement.

I'm not offended. :wink:

However it does make for a much more interesting discussion. :lol:

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts

What I am saying is that I am not telling you to stop praying because it's pointless...

Did someone in this thread say that you were?

And again, you're trying to flex this notion of "your personal opinion" as if something else was being discussed. Please acknowledge the fact that your personal opinion has been at issue all along. I promise you, nobody here was addressing you to discuss your grandmother's twice-removed cousin's opinion of prayer. :lol:

That being said, saying that "prayer is pointless" goes beyond a matter of opinion anyway. There are objective concepts attached to the act of prayer (which have been stated to you over and over again) which are themselves not pointless and have positive implications outside of the scope of prayer itself.

But you've got in your head that if God is pointless and religion is pointless then prayer must, by necessity, also be pointless, and nothing could be further from the truth. You are attempting to throw the baby out with the bath water. So on that point, you are wrong, and that's not a matter of opinion.

If they told me that in their own personal opinion, having a wife and child is pointless, then so be it, that's there opinion and not mine. They're opinion has absolutely no effect on me.

Forgive me if I don't believe that for one second. You might be the only person at this forum who professes their love for their family in their sig line and posts about their family life. You would have no reason to do such things unless you were unduly proud of them, and pride never takes an offense lightly.

If I stated "You're stupid for praying because it's pointless." or "Praying is pointless, so if you do it, you're an idiot." then yes, I would insulting you.

And yet, you said "prayer is pointless" to people and managed to insult them, so apparently your self-made definition isn't working.

Sorry if anyone is misconceiving what I am saying.

Nobody else is misconceiving what you're saying, you're misconceiving what you're saying.

You're being naive if you're offended by my statement.

And yet you're not naive for being insulted? By your own definition, nobody called you "stupid" or an "idiot" so therefore they said nothing offensive to you. :roll:

Eedis
  • Members
  • 1775 posts
Someone telling me that I have an inferiority complex and that I must insult others to feel important, is in fact, a direct insult.

If you listened to nothing but Classical music and someone walked up to you and said, "In my opinion, classical isn't music.", you'd be very naive to take offense to that.
I love my wife, my life, my atomic-match; for giving me the greatest gift a man could ask for, such a perfect and beautiful little girl.
9rjbjc.png

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts

Someone telling me that I have an inferiority complex and that I must insult others to feel important, is in fact, a direct insult.

It would be a direct insult if the statement was made directly to you, but it wasn't. Re-read it.

If you don't consider yourself an "evangelical atheist," what do you care about his opinion?

Furthermore, if you can take personal offense to an indirect insult, what makes you think you should be able to tell others how they should feel when you indirectly insult them?

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2015 02:36 AM

Two hands at work accomplish more than one hand alone, and in less time, too!

Why can't we all just get along? :p

• Guests
  • Last active:
I remember somebody was saying, when you grow up, don't discuss with your friends about religion and politics and something... I forgot the third one.

engunneer
  • Moderators
  • 9162 posts
  • Last active: Sep 12 2014 10:36 PM
religion, politics, and sex life, if I had to guess.

Religion is easy. people can believe what they want, but don't try to change their opinion unless they ask you to. Asking you what you think is not asking to change their opinion.

• Guests
  • Last active:
I remember now, religion, politics, and your favourite SOCCER TEAM! or you will lose your friend. I think he was a Brazilian guy.

Eedis
  • Members
  • 1775 posts
I've always heard 'Religion, Politics, and Economics'

*OFF TOPIC* I just noticed, if you drag the bottom right hand corner of the area you type while typing a post, you can make it as big as you want. O.O
9rjbjc.png

engunneer
  • Moderators
  • 9162 posts
  • Last active: Sep 12 2014 10:36 PM

*OFF TOPIC* I just noticed, if you drag the bottom right hand corner of the area you type while typing a post, you can make it as big as you want. O.O

That's a feature of fancier browsers. Especially handy for posting code int A4H.

girlgamer
  • Moderators
  • 3263 posts
  • Last active: Feb 01 2015 09:49 AM
I think what I find most distressing about "humans" is their consummate ability to take a discussion involving a difference of opinion and turn it into a "personal attack". Makes having a rational talk about anything one side feels is a strongly held belief virtually impossible and is the primary reason the world is in the mess that it currently is -- whether it's religion, sex, politics, law or child rearing. Pick your subject, and two disparate points of view, and the discussion seems to invariably deteriorate into shouting, name-calling, and single-minded, no compromise defense of extreme positions.

The universe is a wondrous place! The faster you create unbreakable code, the faster the universe creates people that can break it. All scripting follows the rule Rule Of Twos -- 1) Good, 2) Fast 3) Cheap -- pick any Two.
I guarantee absolutely nothing about any code I provide except that it works in my machine. ‚óŹ
MMO Fighter   KeyLooperDemo   Key Spammer   TinyClickRecorder  GGs Password Generator.ahk
For the newest version of AutoHotkey and some killer scripts go here.
Rock-on%20kitten.gif

Zod
  • Members
  • 214 posts
  • Last active: Jan 26 2012 08:02 PM
Lets be clear here I tank am never serious. but I do love a good brawl.
Besides I rule the known universe

Now son of Jor El

Posted Image
Posted Image Stolen from SKAN