Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

Reasons why enterprises do not use AHK

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic
jecartas
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Dec 13 2014 06:38 AM

I think these automation tasks are most of the time rather specific. It's probably easier to write one yourself than to try to find one that exactly fits your needs.

блиндирани врати врати метални врати метални пощенски кутии метални решетки решетки

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM

My definition of a bot:

Something that can be left alone to play the game by itself while you're AFK. Collect wood, gold farming, leveling, something that can play the whole game for you, whatever.

My definition of a macro:

Something that does a repetitive set of keys/actions at the press of a button. Such as a skill combo or attack+potion or turning a single-fire gun into burst or fully auto or slightly moving your mouse to counter the effects of recoil.

Doing some googling, some people (like you) group everything all into one. Macro=bot. But there are also a lot of people who separate the two (like me, and many companies (like Razer with "programmable macro keys")) into different categories.

Basically no one was wrong, Not you, Not I. However, you lost your temper over such a minor thing. Calm down...

Ps: I'm not really an admin. It's basically a false mask Polyethene put on me to make it look like an admin was still active so he could go away and have nothing to do with this forum. As soon as I can talk to him, I'm asking him to remove it. I only have the powers of a moderator. Poly is the only true admin. Only he can do server-side stuff to the forum/site. Such has show/hide sections, add section descriptions, change the homepage/docs.

This is partially why your arguments are pointless ATM. Discussing it with anyone other than Polyethene will do nothing. He's the face of AHK and he does nothing. He also runs a gaming community, he left us to focus over there, afaik.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

Volly
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • Last active: Jul 13 2015 11:57 AM

I am a gamer and i make neither excuses nor apologies for that. I spent my time in corporate programming and engineering
in a ton of other "mainstream" languages. I'm now retired and that gives me the freedom to pursue my heart's hobby -- MMO
games. Along with being retired military and having a number of "service connected" disabilities I use AutoHotkey to help me
remain connected and competitive in the games I play. Unattended botting is not what I do and i don't recommend people do
that particular activity -- I stay engaged in the game for as long as i can -- usually around 2 hours. Without the automation that
AutoHotkey provides i would not be able to stay in a game session for more than 10-15 minutes. If AV decides that my use of
scripting to remain competitive with a high functioning teenager with the reflexes of a mongoose, is ill served then, well so
much for that game. I will move my focus somewhere else and let people know that the game is hostile to those with disabilities.
In effect that's exactly what the game devs intend by blocking scripting in general instead of going after the losers that abuse
the system through offline autobotting and gold farming. But then you have made your position clear.

You have staked out a position where a limited subset of scripting applications is used to define the validity and range of the
language used to implement those apps. That's what you see and that's your focus and it's all good but it's wrong. If you are
as intelligent as i believe you are you know it too. 

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him to fish and he'll eat for the rest of his life." I believe that's the quote you're
looking for

This is too much! On one side of your mouth you wnder why AHK is not being taken seriously and on the other side you are defending hacking games so you can enjoy them. Never mind the knowledge you promote here withthe admin blessing is causing companies to lose money  and they in turn go to the AV companies and get AHK scripts flagged and cause the reputation of AHK to be the way it is....

I thought the retorts I read earlier was bad enough. Now a moderator does this....unbelieveable.

I work for a fortune 500 company and I have taken the time to show the peole in security your post and your position. I actually had one guy ask if you folks are a joke or not. Another said they would not touch AHK with a 10 foot pole due to all the game botting, security concerns and not to mention how the main site promotes verious types of hacking. (her words, not mine) I did have one guy ask how many different sites are orianted around AHK. I said I've only found 2 and they seem to have much overlap with members and support. He looked at it and agreed. In any case AHK fail badly to the basic sniff test when we looked at you.

your turn.
Stop asking for fish.

Ask to learn how to fish instead. You will never go hungry again...

Volly
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Ps: I'm not really an admin. It's basically a false mask Polyethene put on me to make it look like an admin was still active so he could go away and have nothing to do with this forum. As soon as I can talk to him, I'm asking him to remove it. I only have the powers of a moderator. Poly is the only true admin. Only he can do server-side stuff to the forum/site. Such has show/hide sections, add section descriptions, change the homepage/docs.
This is partially why your arguments are pointless ATM. Discussing it with anyone other than Polyethene will do nothing. He's the face of AHK and he does nothing. He also runs a gaming community, he left us to focus over there, afaik.

That explains alot and why AHK reputation is in the crapper. The admin has no issue with game botting and hacking. Well then, that answers that. I think this thread has ran it's course. tidbit, would you be so kind and locking the thread please? At this point only people who support what gives AHK a black eye will voice their opinion and that will serve no purpose.
Stop asking for fish.

girlgamer
  • Moderators
  • 3263 posts
  • Last active: Feb 01 2015 09:49 AM

Volly: I respectfully withdraw my comment earlier about what I considered your level of intelligence was/is. Macroing is not botting. You

have no clue as to the level of automation my scripts provide yet you make wild assumptions about my intentions while I'm playing games. I will leave the rest of this thread up to the other moderators because at the moment I cannot assume myself to be un-invested in this discussion. You group automation, macroing and botting all into the same category with hacking, (your use of the term not mine) and then disparage the activity based on a false and grossly inaccurate clumping strategy. If you feel AutoHotkey can not serve your needs then you are free not to use it. That has absolutely no effect on what others use this language for and the applications it can deliver to ease their workloads. Then you make wild and unsubstantiated statements about whether or not security ("security?") has any clue as to the range of applications that this language can provide to support rapid prototyping and quick fix solutions to common everyday computer problems that businesses and their employees encounter during the work day. Your sniff test needs a new and more reliable nose, Volly. You might just as well outlaw Python, awk, lua, ruby for daily use  and yes every other scripting language that has ever been used to automate anything to do with a game. This is how wild and irrational it appears that your protestations are. Thank you for your input. Even the U.S. government and the military has validated the need for games and simulations for various skill enhancements so your screed falls flat on that account alone. I gave you an insight into one gamer's rationale for macroing some activities in a game. You attempt to use that to try to disparage the language's ability to deliver fast and reliable solutions to daily business problems.  And worse you question my integrity simply on the basis of an honest response to a post you made.  Not appreciated. Not accepted. Not respectful. You deserve no further insights from me.

The universe is a wondrous place! The faster you create unbreakable code, the faster the universe creates people that can break it. All scripting follows the rule Rule Of Twos -- 1) Good, 2) Fast 3) Cheap -- pick any Two.
I guarantee absolutely nothing about any code I provide except that it works in my machine. ●
MMO Fighter   KeyLooperDemo   Key Spammer   TinyClickRecorder  GGs Password Generator.ahk
For the newest version of AutoHotkey and some killer scripts go here.
Rock-on%20kitten.gif

Volly
  • Members
  • 17 posts

GET THIS THROUGH YOUR HEAD:

IT IS WHAT THE CORPORATE WORLD THINKS AND WHAT THE AV COMPANIES THINK. NOT WHAT YOU THINK.
Keep repeating that over and over. Anytime you think of one of your arguments that you just said, repeat this to yourself: IT IS WHAT THE CORPORATE WORLD THINKS AND WHAT THE AV COMPANIES THINK. NOT WHAT YOU THINK.

Volly: I respectfully withdraw my comment earlier about what I considered your level of intelligence was/is. Macroing is not botting.

Well according to the AV companies it is. I know this for I did the work. And for the matter of this discussion (which YOU hi-jacked by the way) it is all that matters here which that pertains to AHK's reputation. Not your hypritical opinion.

You
have no clue as to the level of automation my scripts provide yet you make wild assumptions about my intentions while I'm playing games.

You have no idea how much of a hyprocrit you are. You complain about me hijacking a thread - nope - YOU DID. I was talking about the reasons why enterprises do not use AHK. You talk about yourself and how you defend cheating while at the same time trying to attack me. Again - hypritical speak from you.

You group automation, macroing and botting all into the same category with hacking, (your use of the term not mine) and then disparage the activity based on a false and grossly inaccurate clumping strategy.

No, I define hacking as trying to make a program or activity to do something that is not the intent of the designers of said program or activity. That is a correct statement. You equate bot as a program that runs things unattended. You then say macros as not botting. You are trying to split hairs to justify your hypritical argument.
That is one of several definitions and if you understood a dictionary - (apparently you don't) then you would find that MANY words have multiple definitions. So, now that you know this you can stop calling something wrong out of ignorance.

Again - it is what the corporate world thinks and what AV companies thinks, NOT YOU.

Then you make wild and unsubstantiated statements about whether or not security ("security?") has any clue as to the range of applications that this language can provide to support rapid prototyping and quick fix solutions to common everyday computer problems that businesses and their employees encounter during the work day.

You compleatly FAIL in understanding how IT security works. You are so in the weeds of your little language that you have no concept of the big picture when it comes to security. How sad for you.

Your sniff test needs a new and more reliable nose, Volly. You might just as well outlaw Python, awk, lua, ruby for daily use and yes every other scripting language that has ever been used to automate anything to do with a game.

The sniff test as you describe has something in it that you KEEP MISSING. You have only 2 sites deticated to AHK. This one and the Org site. Nothing else. It is small, narrow minded, not to mention an admin who is AWOL and lets hyprocrits like you run the place and trash AHKs reputation.
Other languages like Python for example have MANY support sites. Many of these support sites do NOT support gaming. Python is cross checked by different communities. Not AHK.

Even the U.S. government and the military has validated the need for games and simulations for various skill enhancements.

But would they use AHK - I have not found that anywhere in a official documentation where the military santioned it. Have you? If you did you would have posted it.

I gave you an insight into one gamer's cheaters rationale for macroing some activities in a game.

Correction - you tried to defend cheating while at the same time rationalize the good of the language for business and how safe it is. You can't have both and expect the enterprise world to like it. Why you expect that is beyond me.

And worse you question my integrity simply on the basis of an honest response to a post you made. Not appreciated. Not accepted. Not respectful. You deserve no further insights from me.

I didn't question your interegy. I pointed out what you did and your behavior. You got caught and now you are upset at me for getting called on acting hypritical? REALLY? Look in the mirror.

This is just too much.

edit: I will say this about tidbit - he is honest and he owns the truth and doesn't hide behind hypritical arguments.

Stop asking for fish.

Jackie Sztuk _Blackholyman
  • Spam Officer
  • 3757 posts
  • Last active: Apr 03 2016 08:47 PM
Thank you for your comments, which we shall give due consideration. DFTT
Helping%20you%20learn%20autohotkey.jpg?d

[AHK] Version. 1.1+ [CLOUD] DropBox ; Copy [WEBSITE] Blog ; About

col_mik
  • Members
  • 171 posts
  • Last active: Aug 29 2015 03:29 PM

My immersion into the AHK pool is pretty shallow, but for what they're worth, here are my 2c:

AHK is unlikely to be taken seriously by the corporate world, largely because it is free.  It is supported by this site, which is admittedly inhabited by a lot of enthusiasts, but how many solid anchors does the site have?  Maybe more than I think, but my impression is that the language could die if relatively few people lost interest in it.  It seems Poly already has.  If you read the Forth Interest Group, you will find a lot of enthusiasm for the Forth language.  It is a very capable language, too, especially for number crunching and problem solving - but who uses it?  It has been staggering along since about 1970 with an enthusiastic, but small band of followers.  Any parallels there with AHK?

I previously programmed in C, after finding a freeby compiler (DJGPP) with a freeby IDE (RHIDE) which was pretty powerful.  It also had its own web site with a large and enthusiastic following, but as machines evolved, the original gurus lost interest and moved on to other things, then the latest updates didn't work any more, and I don't suppose anybody uses it now.  Of course, C is still around, but there's skin in that game, where DJGPP and RHIDE (and its freeby editor, SET) was all free, as is AHK.  If the inventors of the language were getting rich from it, that would give them lots of incentive to continue its support and evolution.

I don't think it likely that many jobs will be offered for AHK development for enterprise software as long as there is a risk that it won't survive the next ten years - or possibly five.  I hope I'm wrong, because it's a damn good product and language, but the corporate world looks at more than that.

garry
  • Spam Officer
  • 3219 posts
  • Last active: Sep 20 2018 02:47 PM

...as long as there is a risk that it won't survive the next ten years - or possibly five.

I can use old DOS - programs  GWBASIC and dBase III+  yet  with success

(never touch a running program :) )

but maybe they no more works with a new OS

I woul'd regret I can't use autohotkey anymore just because OS changed

otherwise, it will survive for me a lifetime long , I created with autohotkey all what I wanted

http://ahkscript.org/download/

enterprise want use a program which is standard worldwide ... to find employees

col_mik
  • Members
  • 171 posts
  • Last active: Aug 29 2015 03:29 PM

I can use old DOS - programs  GWBASIC and dBase III+  yet  with success

... but I don't see many companies looking to take on employees in that realm.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM

i cant speak for your idiotic ramble volly

I know of at least 2 major financial institutions making use of AHK, and  autoit for automation. I know of numerous manufacturing firms that use AHK. so i clearly dont understand your idiotic rambling

Clearly you know nothing of girlgamer who has been an instructor of several languages in learning institutions

NOW as to security. AHK is insecure so is autoit. there is no maner of security to be had with automation. but then it isnt the role of automation to have or be secure. it is for the systems being automated to be secure.  again i have no idea what your rambling about.

Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

garry
  • Spam Officer
  • 3219 posts
  • Last active: Sep 20 2018 02:47 PM

@Colmik , about GWBASIC and dBase

... but I don't see many companies looking to take on employees in that realm.

yes, you can forget them, I just use privat , it works and I was lazy to rewrite

lack of knowledge C++ , VB ...  ,

created with GWBASIC a script for telephone switching network which saves hours of time , this replaced with autohotkey

T_Lube
  • Members
  • 640 posts
  • Last active: Sep 09 2016 02:19 AM

I can't help but point out that people are getting a little too angry over a computer language. I will say that my organization has ahk installed on our servers for staff use. In doing so the staff have managed to save quite probably millions of man-hours. That a CEO of company hasn't gotten it installed on servers for use by the staff may be doing a bit too much listening and not enough looking for himself.

I doubt that it will be a field for hiring, but nonetheless a valuable field, it does require some ingenuity on the part of the programmer however as because of the lack of demand one needs to learn how it works by figuring out what he could use it for.

I created a temporary CRM system for my organization that was the make-break point for getting the ball rolling in a certain area. This was done with autohotkey and actually only took me a few days to put it together, not having a full concept of what was needed and making changes for staff ease-of-use, probably added some time.

I actually have some kind of an understanding of other languages because I know AHK, keep that in mind when disgracing the subject.

Splinter
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: May 26 2015 12:15 AM

Sorry I'm late to the party, but has no one noticed the fact that there is a cross-platform implementation of AHK? (IronAHK by Polyethene)

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM

Sorry I'm late to the party, but has no one noticed the fact that there is a cross-platform implementation of AHK? (IronAHK by Polyethene)

it is also long since dead and no longer being developed. The current state it's in is pretty unusable, if I recall correctly.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .