Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

ahkbook - a free online book for AutoHotkey

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic
Uberi
  • Moderators
  • 1119 posts
  • Last active: May 02 2015 06:05 PM
maul.esel: I have sent a pull request adding a post about structures. I would appreciate if you could review since I didn't have MarkDown working :(.

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2015 02:36 AM
[*:1sd9aa60]It is related to the Hotkey part: I would be willing to do a softer version of my AutoFire thread if there is interest. The one in my sig simply attempts to show every way possible; I would write a tutorial explaining things like toggles etc.
:?:
[*:1sd9aa60]Hotstrings are fairly simple and well-explained by the docs, what should go in the book about them?
[*:1sd9aa60]Perhaps a transcript (w/modifications) of Frankie's excellent Gui tutorial on YouTube would work for a Gui part? (please spell it with a lowercase 'ui', lol)

[*:1sd9aa60]You might enlist Tic in making a gdip tutorial, otherwise I (or someone else) could try my hand
[*:1sd9aa60]Mickers, jethrow, or I (or others) might be willing to do a COM for IE page
[*:1sd9aa60]The BIG problem I had as a noob was Traditional vs Expression
:!:
[*:1sd9aa60]It might be going a bit far, but perhaps a page on Git and GitHub is in order?

maul.esel
  • Members
  • 790 posts
  • Last active: Jan 05 2013 09:26 PM
Thanks Uberi for adding a page on (DllCall-) Structures :!:

It is related to the Hotkey part: I would be willing to do a softer version of my AutoFire thread if there is interest. The one in my sig simply attempts to show every way possible; I would write a tutorial explaining things like toggles etc.

Would be very welcome :)

Hotstrings are fairly simple and well-explained by the docs, what should go in the book about them?

I would go for a simple description (what it is), a link to the modifier list + an example. Not much.

Perhaps a transcript (w/modifications) of Frankie's excellent Gui tutorial on YouTube would work for a Gui part?

Maybe. I don't know it, but I'll watch it soon.

You might enlist Tic in making a gdip tutorial, otherwise I (or someone else) could try my hand

I'll ask him. Thanks for your offer.

Mickers, jethrow, or I (or others) might be willing to do a COM for IE page

Yeah, I wanted to PM Mickers in the next days (after seeing his tutorial)

The BIG problem I had as a noob was Traditional vs Expression

Do you think it should be covered more in detail / in a separate topic? (I split it because, as Tuncay said, it was a lot of theory in one place).

It might be going a bit far, but perhaps a page on Git and GitHub is in order?

There's a note in the forum guide on github. Basic git operations could be linked, but I'm not sure whether this deserves an own page... :?

Regards
maul.esel
Join the discussion on The future of AutoHotkey
Posted Image Visit me on github Posted Image
Win7 HP SP1 64bit | AHK_L U 64bit

• Guests
  • Last active:
Your "What to choose?" explainations of all the autohotkey forks is fantastic.

This page needs to be available on the official Autohotkey download page.

• Guests
  • Last active:

What can AutoHotkey do?

Everything. Seriously, no one has yet found a task that can’t be done with AutoHotkey in some way. Some of these ways are simple, some are not very elegant, some are rather obscure, however, they work.

The statement like this is a bit exaggerating and not accurate. I always find many things are not possible when I write a script. For example, how do you set a transparency on menus created by the script itself? How do you check the reference count of an object with the memory address when you don't know if the object has been released or not? How do you perform asynchronous downloads without external dll files or creating another instance of the script? How do you encrypt and protect your code when you compile the script without mpress or UPX that causes AV alerts? How do you create a custom dynamic variable like A_TickCount or A_Now that holds different values everytime it is called?

Frankie
  • Members
  • 2930 posts
  • Last active: Feb 05 2015 02:49 PM

What can AutoHotkey do?

Everything. Seriously, no one has yet found a task that can’t be done with AutoHotkey in some way. Some of these ways are simple, some are not very elegant, some are rather obscure, however, they work.

The statement like this is a bit exaggerating and not accurate. I always find many things are not possible when I write a script. For example, how do you set a transparency on menus created by the script itself? How do you check the reference count of an object with the memory address when you don't know if the object has been released or not? How do you perform asynchronous downloads without external dll files or creating another instance of the script? How do you encrypt and protect your code when you compile the script without mpress or UPX that causes AV alerts? How do you create a custom dynamic variable like A_TickCount or A_Now that holds different values everytime it is called?

You could do all of those. The last one can be done with super globals or function calls depending on the situation.
aboutscriptappsscripts
Request Video Tutorials Here or View Current Tutorials on YouTube
Any code ⇈ above ⇈ requires AutoHotkey_L to run

• Guests
  • Last active:

You could do all of those.

No solutions for them have posted yet. And for the last one, probably you are not understanding what it means.

Frankie
  • Members
  • 2930 posts

You could do all of those.

No solutions for them have posted yet. And for the last one, probably you are not understanding what it means.

I understand perfectly, you want a lazy way to do it. You can accomplish the same thing but it may take an extra line. In v2 you will be able to use objects in literal strings, so meta variables can be used (e.g., A.Time instead of A_Time).

More generally though I do agree. The book will need to be edited, changed and some parts completely rewritten, as any published book is. I think that can wait until everything is more solid -- no sense in nitpicking a page that may be removed the next day.
aboutscriptappsscripts

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
I notice you link to my profile under Contributors :)
I also have a GitHub. I'll be forking the book soon.

• Guests
  • Last active:
Who would fix it if nobody had pointed it out. I instantly lost interest in the book when I saw the inaccurate statement. I don't intend to discourage the project but advising that accuracy on provided information is very important. And invalid information gives readers an impression that the entire book lacks validity.

Frankie
  • Members
  • 2930 posts

I notice you link to my profile under Contributors :)
I also have a GitHub. I'll be forking the book soon.

Fork it and change your link :D
aboutscriptappsscripts

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
Done :p
<!-- m -->https://github.com/nimdahk/ahkbook/<!-- m -->

Nota Bene
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I think that the Labels post should have a section on spaghetti code.

maul.esel
  • Members
  • 790 posts
  • Last active: Jan 05 2013 09:26 PM
Thanks for all comments and contributions.

I think that the Labels post should have a section on spaghetti code.

Good point, I'll add one soon.

Seems we still have to wait for Github to update its pygments.
Join the discussion on The future of AutoHotkey
Posted Image Visit me on github Posted Image
Win7 HP SP1 64bit | AHK_L U 64bit

amnesiac
  • Members
  • 124 posts
  • Last active: May 01 2014 03:04 AM
Greak work! Thank you.
I want to implement such a handbook constantly (described based on computer's tasks instead of the feather of AutoHotkey). Although I have written a small number of similar tutorials in Chinese, it is endless from the goal.
I have forked the project on github, and attach the Chinese translation first.

Click to download Chinese resource for AutoHotkey.

Recommended: AutoHotkey_L My code is based on it or similar versions, e.g. AutoHotkey_H.
Together with AutoHotkey, we grow and march forward. No matter how the future will be, this period of days is still epic.