Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

An Excellent Font for Program/Text Editor

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic
SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:

Here's a site that contains a list of monospace programmer's fonts, sorted from best to worst (according to their tastes):
http://www.lowing.org/fonts/

kWo4Lk1.png

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM
Mmm, a bitmap font... I am not fan of these, even if the given sizes (8, 9, 10pts) are OK for most uses.
Sometime I zoom with the mouse wheel, I fear they look ugly at larger sizes.

Given the size and the samples, I suppose this font doesn't have accented chars. I no longer comment in French, even less write variable and function names in French (I did that for a large Visual Basic program...), but I can still write messages and GUI elements in French. For most programming languages, I would just select another font for the strings, but in AHK, it is harder to separate strings from the other stuff...

Thank you for pointing it out, but I will stick to my Andale Mono (using Lucida Sans Typewriter if I need some variation...).
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:
Dear PhiLho,
I was using the font "Courier New" with Metapad before, and Dina looks better.
BTW, I`ve just tried Andale Mono, It looks Nice!
Thanks for the info.
Regards :)
kWo4Lk1.png

JSLover
  • Members
  • 920 posts
  • Last active: Nov 02 2012 09:54 PM
Andale Mono! Andale Mono!...recently I've heard nothing but Andale Mono...so I went Googling & it started to look like it was another dumb pay-font (can't ANYTHING be free?), but it turns out it is a little free-ish...
Wikipedia - Andale Mono
sourceforge.net - corefonts - Download - Andale Mono (direct)

Posted Image...(ps...it don't look that bad {but I didn't install it yet})...now the real question is...where is Arial Rounded MT Bold?...or Arial Rounded MT...(I've always wondered about a non-bold version...is there one?).

BTW...I use Fixedsys in (a heavily customized {to REALLY look like Notepad}) Notepad2 for AHK/Text editing...
Useful forum links: New content since: Last visitPast weekPast 2 weeks (links will show YOUR posts, not mine)

OMFG, the AutoHotkey forum is IP.board now (yuck!)...I may not be able to continue coming here (& I love AutoHotkey)...I liked phpBB, but not this...ugh...

Note...
I may not reply to any topics (specifically ones I was previously involved in), mostly cuz I can't find the ones I replied to, to continue helping, but also just cuz I can't stand the new forum...phpBB was soo perfect. This is 100% the opposite of "perfect".

I also semi-plan to start my own, phpBB-based AutoHotkey forum (or take over the old one, if he'll let me)
PM me if you're interested in a new phpBB-based forum (I need to know if anyone would use it)
How (or why) did they create the Neil Armstrong memorial site (neilarmstronginfo.com) BEFORE he died?

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
I just changed the forum's "code" sections to prefer Andale Mono over Courier. So if your PC has that font, hopefully code sections will look a little nicer now.

But there's also the font size issue: it's currently set to 75% instead of 11px, but that's subject to change depending on feedback in the topic Better font for code (simple CSS edit)

Serenity
  • Members
  • 1271 posts
  • Last active:
Bitstream Vera Sans Mono looks quite similar to Andale Mono, it is also free.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West
Posted Image

Laszlo
  • Moderators
  • 4713 posts
  • Last active: Mar 31 2012 03:17 AM
Thanks, Serenity! This font has the largest difference between "I", "l" and "1" I have seen so far, good looking and the numerical "0" is clearly marked. I made it my default.

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:
More recommendations please :)
kWo4Lk1.png

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Here's a site that contains a list of monospace programmer's fonts, sorted from best to worst (according to their tastes): <!-- m -->http://www.lowing.org/fonts/<!-- m -->

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM

Bitstream Vera Sans Mono looks quite similar to Andale Mono, it is also free.

Yes, I forgot to mention it, thanks for reminding.
It is slightly bolder, and doesn't look good (for me) on some systems.
Perhaps I am just accustomed to Andale Mono. I use the Bitstream font when I work on Linux (still with SciTE...).

AFAIK, Vera Sans Mono, like the other Vera fonts, took a lot of inspiration from existing fonts (including Andale Mono, formerly Monotype.com).
That's not bad, these are good fonts, and as you point out, they are free.

@Chris: thank you for this page! I spent lot of time searching free TrueType monospace fonts, and even thought I have quite a collection now, this page has even more :-)
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

jroad
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • Last active: May 01 2006 06:41 AM
Hi,

I made a screenshot of 18 monospaced fonts together to get a sense of what they look like.

The post is here:
<!-- m -->http://www.donationc... ... pic=2499.0<!-- m -->

• Guests
  • Last active:
theres a good Consolas font for Vista. and just grab a PCF2FON to convert unix format to win.

Serenity
  • Members
  • 1271 posts
  • Last active:
There are some screenshots of the Consolas font here.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West
Posted Image

antonyb
  • Members
  • 61 posts
  • Last active: Mar 07 2006 09:24 AM
http://www.fontsvill...ads/93071_27859

By far my favourite, and I've spent a long time researching :)

jroad
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • Last active: May 01 2006 06:41 AM

http://www.fontsville.com/downloads/93071_27859

By far my favourite, and I've spent a long time researching

Hi, I took a look at this font and found that 0 (zero) and capital letter O look too similar and a casual user would have trouble distinguishing between the 1 (the number) and lower l (the letter).

Just my $.02.