Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

[Forum] Ban Users per Thread

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic
  • Guests
  • Last active:
It would be great it the forum gave a topic-starter the ability to block certain members from posting in his/her thread. Occasionally I get really annoying responses and if this is possible, I'll definitely post as a registered user.

q4u
  • Guests
  • Last active:
... what about guest posts?

• Guests
  • Last active:
The topic-starter would be able to decide whether to allow guests or not in the same way.

He/she would put user names to ban (including Guest depending on the preference) in the control panel so that the listed users wouldn't be able to post in his/her posts.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM
what a very offensive idea. it encourages elitism. I hope this idea never sees the light of day
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

• Guests
  • Last active:
I don't think so. It's actually opposite. It would discourage elitism because most annoying users here are all arrogant.

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM
some forums have an "ignore user" list. not sure if this old forum has it.
it doesn't block users from posting, it just hides all specified users messages from the person ignoring hem.

OTOH, why are you afraid to post with a name right now? This is a help forum, not a game where you get reputation points and sacred armor. Your reputation doesn't matter here and it should not make anyone not want to use a real name, IMO.
Even with a registered name, you can change your name if/when you want to. sure all posts are changed, but it still helps you hide.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

Grendahl
  • Members
  • 416 posts
  • Last active: Jul 07 2014 08:01 PM

I don't think so. It's actually opposite. It would discourage elitism because most annoying users here are all arrogant.

Seriously? Coming from someone who can't be bothered to let the world know who they are (guest posting) now wants to censor others?

Get over yourself.
Always have your scripts when you need them with Dropbox.

• Guests
  • Last active:
Why bother to let your name being insulted. The idea is great.

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
Your name is Guest. It has been insulted many times. it has a pretty bad reputation.
Be a unique guest and give yourself a guest name (no login needed).

Anonymous + unique guest name + original name reputation in tact (although, once I figure out who you are, I'll see you as a coward for being afraid of letting people know YOUR (registered) opinion.).

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*

• Guests
  • Last active:
To post as Guest means it's not productive to even show a name where offensive users are around. The suggestion solves this situation.

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
The suggestion gives anons the ability to "pseudo-ban" users. almost making anyone, even guests (?) almost as powerful as a moderator.

not only that, but I have never seen this feature ANYWHERE else.
You are asking for someone to hand-craft a feature that can easily be abused. All for your fear of being lol'd at with a real user name.

and as others said, that's pretty rude :roll:

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*

• Guests
  • Last active:
What you've never seen represents how creative the thought is.

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
It has never been seen because it is rude and gives to much power to a standard user. Especially a user who doesn't even have to register.

I think this quote might apply: This is why we can't have nice things.
So many people, especially you, would abuse the crap about it. Dividing the forum in favor of quests who have to put no effort in the community.

Anyway.. I doubt it'll ever happen. to much work on an outdated forum software. make it yourself and then submit it to an admin. maybe (very unlikely) it'll be implemented.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*

• Guests
  • Last active:
I think this idea beats rude users.

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts
  • Last active: Nov 30 2018 08:50 PM

I think this idea beats rude users.

It also beats you having to do any kind of development work yourself. Nobody here is interested in developing anything for these forums just to appease less than a handful of users. You want the functionality, you figure out how to make it.