Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

linux

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic
bumpker
  • Guests
  • Last active:
This is very confusing. You guys made this terrific tool there's nothing
like it. Most of the people who could get the most from this are Running
some version of Linux. But you don't want to make a linux version??

[Moved from Ask for Help]

Morpheus
  • Members
  • 475 posts
  • Last active: Oct 21 2014 11:08 AM
I don't run Linux. :)

MacroMan!
  • Members
  • 604 posts
  • Last active: Mar 20 2012 11:40 AM
There is a cross platform version that runs on Linux under .NET or MONO:
<!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...topic54494.html<!-- m -->
What ever happened, happened.

TheGreatSwami Woo
  • Members
  • 237 posts
  • Last active: Jan 22 2012 03:31 PM
I agree that it would be great to have a good linux version but as far as I know the linux version still has a lot of work needed
But I dont run linux myself :)

codybear
  • Members
  • 600 posts
  • Last active: Feb 09 2015 12:41 PM
The .net/mono version IronAHK does have a long way to come before it's something like the ahk we know on Windows. I'm more of a linux man myself, but prefer Python for linux myself.
Disclaimer: I'm not an expert by any means; I just try to help out where I can.

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM
AHK is opensource.
there are a LOT (more then enough) Opensource-only junkies.
98.756% of those opensource fanatics use linux.
Linux people like things complicated.
autohotkey is easy.

all it takes is some super linux fanatic to get past his "windoze blowz" attitude and find/get AHK to start a port. It's ready for the taking.
When all that is done, in just 13 years alpha 0.01 will be released!

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

girlgamer
  • Moderators
  • 3263 posts
  • Last active: Feb 01 2015 09:49 AM
you want to do linux think Perl first add what functionality you desire from Autohotkey to that base. Most Perl is also interpreted as well.
http://learn.perl.or...l#What-is-Perl-
Why reinvent the wheel.

The universe is a wondrous place! The faster you create unbreakable code, the faster the universe creates people that can break it. All scripting follows the rule Rule Of Twos -- 1) Good, 2) Fast 3) Cheap -- pick any Two.
I guarantee absolutely nothing about any code I provide except that it works in my machine. ●
MMO Fighter   KeyLooperDemo   Key Spammer   TinyClickRecorder  GGs Password Generator.ahk
For the newest version of AutoHotkey and some killer scripts go here.
Rock-on%20kitten.gif

• Guests
  • Last active:

When all that is done, in just 13 years alpha 0.01 will be released!

Yeah,
and it will probably support multithreading with 1024 cores(for which they had to build a fancy multicore-simulator in C, because that days processors are only 256 cores),
it will come with a revolutionary new Version Control System,
and the only two working commands will be SoundBeep and Sleep

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM
Multithreaded sleep! woohoo! it's a dream come true :mrgreen:

On topic:
bumpker:
Advertise AHK on some linux community sites that are aimed towards programmers. If there is 1 linux guru that uses windows (work? dual boot? multi-platform dev.?) and knows how to program and finds out about AHK and tries it and loves it, it MIGHT get ported to linux.
(thats a lot of ands)

It's a LOT of work, development will be slow, and chances of someone taking up the task will be slim. But it could happen some day!

Note: there is already a cross-platform AHK called IronAHK. development is slow, but if it could be backed by other linux/windows/mac programmers, it could get kicked off.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2015 02:36 AM
aaaaand, IronAHK is on GitHub, and Git was created by the same people who made Linux! So hopefully those FOSS extremists will already use GitHub. I propose we find some on GitHub, and send them messages like "Linux is cool and all, but I (and my entire workplace of several thousand) will never switch until there's a viable alternative to AutoHotkey on Linux (insert covert link to IronAHK)"

maul.esel
  • Members
  • 790 posts
  • Last active: Jan 05 2013 09:26 PM

...GitHub, which was created by the same people who made Linux!

wrong. Git was programmed by those, not GitHub ;-)
Join the discussion on The future of AutoHotkey
Posted Image Visit me on github Posted Image
Win7 HP SP1 64bit | AHK_L U 64bit

Frankie
  • Members
  • 2930 posts
  • Last active: Feb 05 2015 02:49 PM
I pretty much only use Linux. When I make my AutoHotkey tutorials, I boot into a slim Debian install and run XP in VirtualBox.

I would love to have AutoHotkey on Linux, but I don't have the time to devote to IronAHK. The project is far too large. I think the only way it would work is if there were a few full time developers, and people doing patches here and there. I would do patches like that... but not take on the whole project.

I currently use Python for everything I need. It still lacks some features of AutoHotkey, though.
aboutscriptappsscripts
Request Video Tutorials Here or View Current Tutorials on YouTube
Any code ⇈ above ⇈ requires AutoHotkey_L to run

TheGreatSwami Woo
  • Members
  • 237 posts
2 people have pointed out you can just use Python on Linux. I have tried Python on windows (I dont have LInux) when it comes to making a simple gui easily Python sucks ass big time - it's no substitute for AHK
I cant understand why the LInux community hasnt' made their own version from scratch rather than tying to port AHK

MacroMan!
  • Members
  • 604 posts
  • Last active: Mar 20 2012 11:40 AM
It may be because Bash scripting in Linux/unix is very popular and very powerful. (OK, you can't do GUI's, but pretty much everything else)

Really, all IronAHK needs to be is a GUI running program that interfaces with Bash imo.

David
What ever happened, happened.

TheGreatSwami Woo
  • Members
  • 237 posts

It may be because Bash scripting in Linux/unix is very popular and very powerful. (OK, you can't do GUI's, but pretty much everything else)

Really, all IronAHK needs to be is a GUI running program that interfaces with Bash imo.

David

you could just as easily use CMD or batch scritps on Windows then as it has similar commands to Bash but neither are decent substitutes for AHK
I happen to have cygwin on my pc and have tried bash but still need AHK
I really didnt see how bash was better or more powerful than using cmd or windows vbs.