Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

linux

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic
TheGreatSwami Woo
  • Members
  • 237 posts
  • Last active: Jan 22 2012 03:31 PM
2 questions:

If you want to run some windows programs, has anyone tried Wine and Crossover and which is better? I know Crossover is not free

Anyone tried FreeBSD ?

FreeBSD is commonly called "the free Unix". It's descended from the classic 1970's Berkeley Software Distribution of Unix (from before the OS became "UNIX"®), making it one of the most mature and stable operating systems around. It's "free" as in "free beer" (you can download it for nothing) and as in "free speech" (you can do pretty much whatever you like with it... like when Microsoft took code from it to add better networking to Windows NT). Unlike the plethora of Linuxes, there's only one current version of FreeBSD, with a consistent structure and an easy-to-use "ports" system for installing software. It can also run most Linux binaries. Much of the Internet infrastructure was built on FreeBSD, due to its combination of quality and cost. It's always been excellent for servers, but it's become comparable to mainstream Linux distros as a desktop OS as well. Its main platform is the Intel x86 architecture, with ports to a few others.

• Guests
  • Last active:
FreeBSD is very very good, but you will have more problems finding drivers for hardware + specific software (but you can run linux apps). If you have the right hardware and know that you only need certain software it is a good solution, if you want more choice regarding hardware + drivers and software go with any major linux distro (you can try many via bootable cds/dvds). Or buy a Mac as that is based on FreeBSD and it looks all pretty and stuff ;-)

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2015 02:36 AM
"cds/dvds"
don't forget, this is 2012! I boot linux distros from flash drives these days :D

TheGreatSwami Woo
  • Members
  • 237 posts
Ok so I am going to give Linux a trial period of a month - If I manage to get by in that time without having to boot into windows every day I might stick with linux - I have always liked the Idea of LInux but loved the masive choice of software windows has.
I think I will go wth XUbuntu (a light version of Ubuntu) after watching this video review

Now, I wish to go to a couple of good forums for LInux to learn more first - Anyone know of a good linux forum?
and a place to go to check if a linux driver exists for a particular peice of hardware,like a canon printer?
I found this scary post when looking for a driver and he didnt get a solution to his question

Well I did a little searching and its not looking good so far - I also found that there are no drivers for my canoscan 3000ex so I will either have to buy new hardware of keep booting into windows to scan anything. For the printer side of things I can buy a new printer or use a similar driver and get limited functionality or buy commercial software that works with canon printers.

I wanted to get my PiXMA iP2000 to work on Linux.
Unfortunately there are no drivers for it from Canon.
But I tried with the driver they have for the iP3100. It didn't work.

Now the situation is worse though ... Windows won't even recognise my
printer!
It seems using that driver on Linux corrupted something on the printer,
it comes up as an unknown USB device.

In the Device Manager the Device Instance ID for this device is
USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\5&3A9BE360&0&2

Apparently it should be USBPRINT\CANONIP2000\6&183AA36C&0&USB001 (from
looking in the registry).

I've put more information here...
<!-- m -->http://davidf.sjsoft...ux/canon_ip2000<!-- m -->

Does anyone have any idea where I could find out how to reset this? I
can't find any firmware updates for PiXMA printers from Canon. Even a
pointer to another mailing list / place where this question could be
answered would be really helpful! I'm a software developer and happy to
dig down into technical specs etc

TheGreatSwami Woo
  • Members
  • 237 posts
Oh my god what a mess. I gave LInux a try. I realized I would need to keep an XP version on my PC so that I could use things like my canon printer which doesnt have drivers on LINux. So I installed XUbuntu 11.10

During the install process I got the choice of overwriting windows or installing alongside so I chose that - BIG mistake
on restarting I got a boot menu to choose between Linux or XP I tried the LInux first and it booted fine - then I shutdown and rebooted and this time chose XP well the menu went away for a second and came back with the choice list and I tried chooseing xp agian. To cut a long story short I could not boot into XP any more! I tried rebuiling the MBR still no joy. In the end I went through a new install of XP! but installed to a different folder so I could keep my old installation. After I had booted into XP and erased LINUX I am now ok agian in XP world.
LInux easy to install these days, NOT!

fragman
  • Members
  • 1591 posts
  • Last active: Nov 12 2012 08:51 PM
Not sure what you mean. I installed Linux Mint for Android development some time ago and it went through without problems. Also runs fine for me, but I don't use any special drivers. Could use a better graphic driver though, it sometimes has issues here.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM
i think we all forget there are things that have to be done for a dual boot scenerio that many of us take for granted

Again i recommend the virtual box experience for those wishing to delve in without full commitment
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

The Great Swami Woo
  • Guests
  • Last active:
@Fragman
I hve since tried installing Linux Mint 10(Julia) and it went much better and is working well - sound, graphics and wi fi all work well. So far VERY impressed - pretty sure this will be my default operating system now.
One thing I want to add though - I dont see using Linux as an independent operating system - what I mean by that is I will probably need to depend on the XP partition when I need to print with my canon printer or connect my TomTom to update my TomTom maps etc. If you dont already have any external hardware then it's different you can make sure to buy equipment you know will work with Linux

Well I guess I wont be comming back here now - no point unless they ever get an AHK version that works on Linux
Bye all :shock:

elenchus
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Apr 13 2012 08:34 AM
first post for me, just made the account while searching to see if AHK is available on linux, or if there is a way to convert the scripts. also, thanks for whoever made ahk, i'm a novice and still it's very useful to me.

Frankie
  • Members
  • 2930 posts
  • Last active: Feb 05 2015 02:49 PM

will run perfectly under WINE (windows emulator) in Linux.

Sorry for the really delayed nitpick, but WINE stands for "WINE Is Not [an] Emulator".

As an update, I'm running Xubuntu 11.10 at home now. Here's a countdown (in days) to the 12.04 release!
http://xubuntu.org/countdown
aboutscriptappsscripts
Request Video Tutorials Here or View Current Tutorials on YouTube
Any code ⇈ above ⇈ requires AutoHotkey_L to run

• Guests
  • Last active:

It may be because Bash scripting in Linux/unix is very popular and very powerful. (OK, you can't do GUI's, but pretty much everything else)

Really, all IronAHK needs to be is a GUI running program that interfaces with Bash imo.

David

you could just as easily use CMD or batch scritps on Windows then as it has similar commands to Bash but neither are decent substitutes for AHK
I happen to have cygwin on my pc and have tried bash but still need AHK
I really didnt see how bash was better or more powerful than using cmd or windows vbs.

bash is a lot better than Windows Batch. I know both well and I can promise you this. I used to like Batch but since I got really into running bash on Cygwin I can't be bothered with Batch any more. (I've had Cygwin for several years, but only started getting the most out of it this year.)

You need to learn about bash to get the most out of it. Read "The Unix Programming Environment" by Kernighan and Pike, or O'Reilly's Learning Bash book, or any decent UNIX book. Miguel de Icaza's reading list (which starts with the above) is here: http://tirania.org/b...011/Sep-06.html I also have the O'Reilly book 'UNIX Power Tools' mentioned in this post: it is an authoritative reference.

NB: I'd substitute vi for emacs in Miguel's advice; but just pick one you like and learn it back to front.

Run 'man bash' and read the bash manual page (skim, skip and search around, it's too dense to read all the way through). Read the other man pages on your UNIX/UNIX-like system too.

Read the GNU Bash Reference Manual from the Free Software Foundation: http://www.gnu.org/s...al/bashref.html

Wikipedia has great coverage of both.

Windows batch is so primitive it's very satisfying if you can do something useful in it, and there are some useful functions, but once you get good at bash, you won't go back very often. If you do however, you should do get the most out it. There are many resources for this; one of my faves is http://www.commandwindows.com

A little goes a long way.

• Guests
  • Last active:
Or you can learn powershell - available in win7 :D

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM
powershell is powerfull but still not as robust as bash
Remember that linux Gui is really only for end users admins are all trained to pretty much work exclusively from the prompt. In fact there are things that cant be done from the gui.
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

MacroMan!
  • Members
  • 604 posts
  • Last active: Mar 20 2012 11:40 AM
And you've got to love vim! The best text editor in the world.
What ever happened, happened.

• Guests
  • Last active:
re vim: Tried it many times, never got the hang of it, watched some power user vim videos on youtube, came to the conclusion "I can already do that in my preferred editor" so I have no incentive to switch. But I'm sure I'll try a few more times ;-)