Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

AutoHotkey v2 Documentation

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic
Frankie
  • Members
  • 2930 posts
  • Last active: Feb 05 2015 02:49 PM

That won't solve the problem that the code does not run in non-English OS.

But they should be as simple a possible to illustrate its usage too. Using things like ahk_exe notepad.exe might be a good alternative as that seems noob-friendly and runs everywhere as far as I know.

Not everyone knows what "notepad.exe" is. I know I didn't make the connection between "notepad.exe" and that window I can type text into for quite some time.

Often imaginary file paths are used in the examples such as C:\Temp\myfile.ini on the IniRead page. Since the path doesn't exist in the reader's computer, the code won't procude the expected result unless the file is created.

An example ini file should be shared. Even if it's just in a quote box / code box with instructions of where to save it, that's good enough. Something along the lines of

The following examples expect this text to be in C:\Temp\myfile.ini

[section]
key=value

{examples}

However, relatives paths might be better, for when Admin access isn't possible (ensure writing permissions).
aboutscriptappsscripts
Request Video Tutorials Here or View Current Tutorials on YouTube
Any code ⇈ above ⇈ requires AutoHotkey_L to run

• Guests
  • Last active:

But they should be as simple a possible to illustrate its usage too. Using things like ahk_exe notepad.exe might be a good alternative as that seems noob-friendly and runs everywhere as far as I know.

ahk_exe notepad.exe sounds good to me but it's no different than ahk_class Notepad. And I agree that examples should be as simple as possible. However, being too simple and lacking the context of the usage is no better than having some additional lines and yet still being clear enough. For instance, I cannot see how the directive is useful or when it is required from the example of #ClipboardTimeout.

• Guests
  • Last active:
Either it stays simple (the way it is) or you complicate it you can't have it both ways.
About ahk_exe: if the line above says Run notepad.exe how braindead do you have to be not to make the connection :wink:

Just keep the examples the way the are.

• Guests
  • Last active:

Just keep the examples the way the are.

I don't think that's a good idea. It should be changed where there is a room to improve.

• Guests
  • Last active:
What I meant was keep the examples with the Notepad titles etc as they are.

There is a lot of improvement for examples on how to use GUI and its commands.

• Guests
  • Last active:

What I meant was keep the examples with the Notepad titles etc as they are.

I disagree with it for the reason I mentioned previously.

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2015 02:36 AM
WinWaitActive, ahk_class Notepad ; Waits for the Notepad instance we created above to appear
:?:

robertcollier4
  • Members
  • 141 posts
  • Last active: Jun 28 2019 01:05 AM

One thing difficult about the documentation is that it is hard to navigate its structure around since you have to return to the Table of Contents always (which isn't always available).

This is remedied by having a left-side tree structure navigation pane provide an always-visible table of contents of the documentation.

See example here of Sandcastle built documentation with tree navigation on left.

Stackoverflow: Is SandCastle the best “free” code document producing tool?

Wikipedia: Sandcastle (software)

Online web help industry standards

Screenshot%20-%20Guy%20HTML%20help%20in%

Sandcastle.png