Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

The future of AutoHotkey.com

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic
VxE
  • Moderators
  • 3622 posts
  • Last active: Dec 24 2015 02:21 AM
@amnesiac: enthusiasm is good, but don't panic! AHK is simply undergoing a transition.

Maintaining the website(s) and actively developing the language are not the same task, and pursuing both is a big job for just one person, so don't be worried that several people collaborate on them.

On Topic: I'd like to +1 sumon. His track record may not be as long as Polyethene/Titan's, but it's solid gold. Human-computer interface design (and, indirectly, web design) is a very complex and powerful subject. A properly designed website will not confuse even the most confusable of newbies.

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2015 02:36 AM
Where will discussion about the new design take place? I have suggestions, and I'm sure the other, more important people like sumon do too, but I don't think this thread is the right spot for it.

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM
Sounds like a discussion for this forum
Dev'ing the website + future dev of AHK.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts
  • Last active: Dec 05 2016 10:14 PM

On Topic: I'd like to +1 sumon. His track record may not be as long as Polyethene/Titan's, but it's solid gold.

Thanks, that means alot!

Human-computer interface design (and, indirectly, web design) is a very complex and powerful subject. A properly designed website will not confuse even the most confusable of newbies.

Indeed, I'd like to think of it as an important field of expertise that will become even more important over time. Man is a technological being, so we should make technology humane. Kinda.

There's so much you can do with web design too, indeed. :)

Where will discussion about the new design take place? I have suggestions, and I'm sure the other, more important people like sumon do too, but I don't think this thread is the right spot for it.

nimdaaa! You flatter me! :oops:

I agree this thread isn't the right spot for it. Like I said earlier, input is very much appreciated, and I think people should be heard & discuss the design goals. There's bascially two major areas of the redesign:

1) Overall goals & guidelines for what's important, what the purpose of the site is, how we want AutoHotkey to be perceived.

2) Specific design details, such as which menu items to display on the front page - whether to add video tutorials, etc.
Both of these things have, should and will be discussed. Looking forward to getting involved, and having "everyone" involved too.

jaco0646
  • Moderators
  • 3165 posts
  • Last active: Apr 01 2014 01:46 AM
I've moved eight of MacroMan's threads to the Developers forum, containing the forum upgrade discussions from a year ago. If we reference those, we may avoid repeating history and speed up the process.

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2015 02:36 AM
I don't particularly like Haskell itself, but I agree with Guest that their homepage makes a lot of sense. If I'm not mistaken, it was suggested before (probably by the same person), and I liked it then, too. Unfortunately, I don't see much hope for an online AHK interpreter (like Haskell has), but <!-- m -->http://cloudahk.com<!-- m --> is already very functional and useful, and may have a place on the site.

Are there other programming homepages that people especially like that we could take cues from?

Highlander4x
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Last active: Apr 22 2011 01:38 PM
Hi, My names Andrew

Sounds like the start of an AA meeting

I can't say i have been a very contributing member nor that i want to pick up the big torch in designing as im just learning C right now and taking Electrical Engineering at college.

But if you need someone to host the website I would be willing to for free.
By all means Chris you can keep the domain and if you like database / other backups on a monthly basis, I'm more then willing.

The better question would what would be the size of data need to be stored and the average bandwidth usage, if need be i can upgrade or go shopping for bigger hosting.

Time available for this for me 15 mins a day for upkeep insure everything running, 2-3 other hours per week working on website development such as porting current documentation and current forum posts into a wiki for everyone to contribute to. Might help with keeping the same question 5k times from being asked. I know i know we got to be joking, i feel sorry for teachers how do they put up with it especially from the same student who asked 5k times. Ohwell just like parenting i guess. As i learn more into C etc be willing to move over into developing the actual code for autohotkey. But i can't see that happening till May after term exams.

Well that's my two cents.

Feel free to contact me to discuss further it would be great if there were a team of us together for this venture.

Email: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->

Sincerely,

Andrew

• 290 posts
  • Last active: Oct 13 2010 02:12 AM
I'm sorry to see it happen but I'm glad Autohotkey will continue. I wish I could contribute but given my other obligations, I don't think I have enough time. Good luck to the people who take over!
My AutoHotkey Program for Warcraft III:
Warkeys
http://warkeys.sourceforge.net/

Remap your hotkeys
Healthbars always on
Remap inventory

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

But if you need someone to host the website I would be willing to for free.

We seem to be okay in that department right now. Thanks for the offer!

Time available for this for me ...2-3 other hours per week working on website development such as porting current documentation and current forum posts into a wiki for everyone to contribute to. Might help with keeping the same question 5k times from being asked.

It's starting to look like Sumon will be the one spearheading the documentation/wiki revisions. Since he seems eager to have others involved, feel free to contact him.

Thanks!

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
  • Last active: Nov 19 2015 11:58 AM
i vote for poly

ribbet.1
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • Last active: Feb 07 2012 01:21 AM
Chris, your work has made my work easier and my life more pleasant. The scripts I've written with the help of this community have augmented my work like nothing else I know of. I am eternally grateful to you and for this community. Just thought I'd give a quick shout, having read your announcement. AHK forever!

SGFX
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Last active: Nov 25 2017 12:30 AM
Chris

I for one would like to thank you and the contributors of this site for your wonderful program.

I was in a bind trying to cram a years worth of work in to a 6 month contract when I first happened upon Autohotkey.
I am not a programmer at heart so I appreciated the simplicity. but I needed a powerful solution to some of my issues. and with just a few weeks of intense learning I found AHK to be just what I needed. I was able to create on the fly programs that addressed issues i was dealing with at the moment. I created One Program alone in about 30mins that saved 200+ hours of work for my crew. and that was not an isolated sample. in a sort time I have created at least 10 commercial grade specialized scripts that has cut our work load in 1/2

Thanks again Chris for the original ideal behind AHK and for allowing it to grow beyond your needs and into a wonderful tool that it is and will be in the future.

Stan

Seidenweber
  • Moderators
  • 638 posts
  • Last active: Sep 06 2015 01:51 PM
Polyethene would be my first choice because he has done a good job continuously for Autohotkey. Especially this continuity gives me hope that the current readiness is not just a flash in the pan.
I don't want to depreciate the other volunteers, but in my eyes Polyethene has already proved, what others can only promise.

All questions & answers are related to AHK 1.1.19.03 x64 Unicode