Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Make AHK_L "main" version?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

Poll: Should AHK_L be promoted as "the" main version of AutoHotkey? (128 member(s) have cast votes)

Should AHK_L be promoted as "the" main version of AutoHotkey?

1. Voted YES (I use AHK_L) (201 votes [76.14%])

Percentage of vote: 76.14%

2. YES (I use AutoHotkey Basic) (24 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

3. NO (I use AHK_L) (8 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

4. NO (I use AutoHotkey Basic) (24 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

5. Other... (please comment) (7 votes [2.65%])

Percentage of vote: 2.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote
noname
  • Members
  • 650 posts
  • Last active:
The community is more than just the handfull of programmers using this chat to vote!

IMHO i think you should stick to ahk basic as default and offer ahk unicode as alternative till v2 is coming.

A new Welcome is page is sorely missing and a clear instruction how to easily use both versions together ( like Majkinetor coded).

Newcomers can find code to try,adapt and enjoy using it without being put off by errors.There is just too little code for unicode on the forum.

JSLover
  • Members
  • 920 posts
  • Last active: Nov 02 2012 09:54 PM
I voted for "YES (I use AHK_L)"...but I wanted to vote "YES (I use AHK_L)...& drop the _L suffix too!".

Seriously, if AHK_L is the main/only version, why keep the _L? The _L suffix has served it's purpose, to distinguish Lexikos's version from Chris's version. Chris's version no longer exists.

v2 should become the main version, so that we don't need to reorient the site twice.

...I'm not even sure I'm gonna like v2. I haven't been keeping up with its progress, but I think there are a bunch of "strict" changes, like #Warn...hopefully all that strict crap is optional, but I fear it's not. Could someone sum up the state of v2?...without me reading all 50+ pages in that topic? If v2 is not gonna have alot of annoying mandatory strict things, then I'm OK with it, otherwise I might get stuck on AHK 1.1.
Useful forum links: New content since: Last visitPast weekPast 2 weeks (links will show YOUR posts, not mine)

OMFG, the AutoHotkey forum is IP.board now (yuck!)...I may not be able to continue coming here (& I love AutoHotkey)...I liked phpBB, but not this...ugh...

Note...
I may not reply to any topics (specifically ones I was previously involved in), mostly cuz I can't find the ones I replied to, to continue helping, but also just cuz I can't stand the new forum...phpBB was soo perfect. This is 100% the opposite of "perfect".

I also semi-plan to start my own, phpBB-based AutoHotkey forum (or take over the old one, if he'll let me)
PM me if you're interested in a new phpBB-based forum (I need to know if anyone would use it)
How (or why) did they create the Neil Armstrong memorial site (neilarmstronginfo.com) BEFORE he died?

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts
  • Last active: Dec 05 2016 10:14 PM

AutoHotkey_L unofficially rules for a longer time. Make it official. But forever respect Chris and his glorious work.

Indeed.

The community is more than just the handfull of programmers using this chat to vote!

Of course, we have to keep in mind that not everyone visits the General Chat. But the votes of those who have seen the ups and downs of the current situation weigh heavily, while the vote of a new user who does not care which version to download due to unclear description, does not mean as much (as in, "download stats").

But the important part is that the end result benefits the community as a whole.

I voted for "YES (I use AHK_L)"...but I wanted to vote "YES (I use AHK_L)...& drop the _L suffix too!"

The suffix would be dropped but it should probably be noted somehow that it was previously known as AHK_L, so that old references to AHK_L would not be confusing.

Also, if AHK_L becomes the featured version, there should be some careful consideration as to how we want to present the Quick-Start Tutorial.

Yes. Documentation in general should be upgraded, and I hope documentation can reflect the AHK version that people actually use (yet another "+" of consolidating, I assume).

In addition, I agree to what Learning one mentioned:

(...) creating two help files; 1) "Basic help - Introduction to AHK" that will cover just most basic things and 2) "Full blown documentation" that will cover all features.

This does not only go for a help file or some links, it's a spirit that I believe would be useful in general. Anyone should be able and encouraged to start using AutoHotkey, but simplicity should never cause confusion. It's easier to understand something that makes sense - and much like it is useful to understand the difference between a string and a variable, it is also (sooner or later) useful to understand how one can use #If or a function().

LarryC
  • Guests
  • Last active:
My 2 cents worth. Change name to AHK from AutoHotkey, while at it. I disliked telling my fellow workers I was using a hotkey program. (or my friends and family).
It worked for UPS. Used to be called United Parcel Service, but they changed to UPS. The letters mean ahk only, not AutoHotkey.

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2015 02:36 AM
@LarryC it may be sacrilege, but I occasionally say that it's AutoIt - it simply sounds more professional that way. Besides, AHK Basic is backwards compatible with AU2, so...

LarryC
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Sorry, it was a little off topic. I vote for AHK_L over AHK Basic Was only referring to the name only, not to Basic. It would be good in any Latin language.
But I would be the first to admit it may be not good idea, just an idea.

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts

My 2 cents worth. Change name to AHK from AutoHotkey, while at it. I disliked telling my fellow workers I was using a hotkey program. (or my friends and family).
It worked for UPS. Used to be called United Parcel Service, but they changed to UPS. The letters mean ahk only, not AutoHotkey.

AutoHotkey is too much of a "brand" to be abandoned, but it can be "re"-branded. Using the abbrevation (AHK) more often is a good way to alter the "feel" of AHK. Sure, it's off-topic, so if anyone wants to bring it up for more indepth discussion, maybe bring it up in a new topic (maybe in the developers forum?).

Just reportin' in to say that although the issue is not closed for further debate - I firmly believe we shall start promoting one (1) official version (previously known as _L), probably even before the website is redesigned.

fincs
  • Moderators
  • 1662 posts
  • Last active:
A note should be added to specify that AutoHotkey Basic is no longer the official version and the online repo is an archive, otherwise people might get confused :)

ABCza
  • Members
  • 132 posts
  • Last active: Jan 04 2015 01:02 AM
I want to report my opinion on this as an old Basic user.

For a long period I was forced to abandon AHK because of my old job. When I left my job, I returned to AHK and read about AHK_L. I wondered if it was necessary to switch from Basic to L but I also found the thread about V2. This made me think that it would have been better to switch when V2 was ready, to avoid the double switch/learn process.

Now I'm still using Basic, waiting for V2. I think there are a lot of old users like me that can't dedicate much time to adapt their scripts twice. Maybe this should also be taken into account.
All my scripts/snippets are released under the WTFPL: http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/COPYING

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts
  • Last active: Nov 30 2018 08:50 PM
While I can understand that sentiment ABCza, AHK_L as it is now is integrating the features and syntax that will be used in v2. At the very least using AHK_L extends to Basic users the advanced functionality to be standardized in v2. This also provides a base-level of understanding of what's coming in v2, which to my eyes is much better than just jumping from the original version straight to v2, which for all intents and purposes will be a different language.

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 03:49 PM
I have a rebrand name suggestion in my mind:

:arrow: AutoScript

sounds simliar to ActionScript.
AHK may be a practical solution to avoid having Hotkey in the name. But I personally dislike such an abbreviation as the main name. It makes pronouncing hard and very technical, where nobody knows what it means. Meaningless, cold and hard to remember for beginners.

No signature.

ABCza
  • Members
  • 132 posts
  • Last active: Jan 04 2015 01:02 AM
I think you're right sinkfaze, a "graceful upgrading" approach is better for the userbase expecially if V2 is far to come.

If L will be the main version I agree to delete the L suffix and propose Basic as "AutoHotkey Basic" in the "Other Downloads" section, maybe adding few words about the story of the switch.

I don't agree on the name change. I think that the name is a contact with the past that must be preserved.
All my scripts/snippets are released under the WTFPL: http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/COPYING

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts

I want to report my opinion on this as an old Basic user.

For a long period I was forced to abandon AHK because of my old job. When I left my job, I returned to AHK and read about AHK_L. I wondered if it was necessary to switch from Basic to L but I also found the thread about V2. This made me think that it would have been better to switch when V2 was ready, to avoid the double switch/learn process.

Now I'm still using Basic, waiting for V2. I think there are a lot of old users like me that can't dedicate much time to adapt their scripts twice. Maybe this should also be taken into account.

Yes, I understand this sentiment, and that's why I myself sticked to AHK Basic for a very long time. However, V2 will likely be a long wait (unless it's a "passive" wait, as in "I'll upgrade when it comes, whenever" rather than "I wanna upgrade when it comes!") and like others have said, AHK_L does have quite a few goodies and improvements. Most importantly though, it's backwardscompatible.

If L will be the main version I agree to delete the L suffix and propose Basic as "AutoHotkey Basic" in the "Other Downloads" section, maybe adding few words about the story of the switch.

Yes.

Reassured by speaking with the community, tracking download stats and doing research, I believe this is the way to go. It may be changed in the downloads section earlier than the site upgrade, if not else to track how linked download behaviour is to the descriptions (my guess is that 95% of visitors just want to download the "Recommended version please!"). But the decision is not definitive yet, I suppose it will be announced on the Announcements forum when that is the case.

Delusion
  • Members
  • 272 posts
  • Last active: Jul 13 2014 09:04 PM
i would love to use it but i dont like the fact that there is no backward compatibility

i dont care about most of my scripts but just for one which i have been making for years now and it uses many libraries to work which will also be broken now
so who is going to recreate this script of thousands of lines and libraries? me? hell no....i dont have the time or the knowledge to do that

so i will stick with ahk basic and one day i will finally quit ahk completely since i already have found much better solution to those things im doing
QuickSubs | Popcorn Movie Catalog
All my scripts are just in AutoHotkey v1.0.48.05

Seidenweber
  • Moderators
  • 638 posts
  • Last active: Sep 06 2015 01:51 PM
Because it is Chris' baby, I see there a moral responsibility, and we hold him in high esteem, but since june 2011 the german community deals with AHK_L as the official version.
We strongly suggest to use always the latest version of AHK_L. If we say AutoHotkey, we always mean AHK_L.

But one more word about the name "AHK Basic".
In most germans speech comprehension, something is very simple, incomplete and incapable, if we call it a "Basic" version. Don't complain! You've got, what you payed for. This is just for the poor. You know, what I mean? ;)

A least from my point of view "AHK Classic" would be the better name. If something is "Classic" it was/is great. Old, but even durable. Yeah, sure, it's a bit out of date, but still good ;)

All questions & answers are related to AHK 1.1.19.03 x64 Unicode