Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Make AHK_L "main" version?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

Poll: Should AHK_L be promoted as "the" main version of AutoHotkey? (128 member(s) have cast votes)

Should AHK_L be promoted as "the" main version of AutoHotkey?

1. Voted YES (I use AHK_L) (201 votes [76.14%])

Percentage of vote: 76.14%

2. YES (I use AutoHotkey Basic) (24 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

3. NO (I use AHK_L) (8 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

4. NO (I use AutoHotkey Basic) (24 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

5. Other... (please comment) (7 votes [2.65%])

Percentage of vote: 2.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote
  • Guests
  • Last active:

Finally the hysteria about quitting over this change is very selfish - nobody speaks of the numerous highly respected members who have left since the switch to AHK_L. Positive discussion and constructive criticism is welcome but trolling is not acceptable, so any defamatory posts will be deleted.

* and you single-handedly deciding to shove your vision down the community's throat ain't selfish?

* you got no idea why many of those users left, so saying that is meaningless

* so is anything that criticizes your opinion trolling? you decided to open the can of worms and you already see what it's done for you, deleting posts definitely won't win anyone over

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2015 06:39 AM

* and you single-handedly deciding to shove your vision down the community's throat

Yes - and it's welcomed by everyone.

* you got no idea why many of those users left

Yes I do.

This is a reasonable standpoint, but I fear that valid arguments will be deleted because a moderator perceives them to be trolling.

I'm pretty sure we'll all be unanimous on whether comparing me to kim jong il is to be considered trolling.

autohotkey.com/net Site Manager

Contact me by email (polyethene at autohotkey.net) or message tidbit

Learning one
  • Members
  • 1483 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2016 02:30 PM
Great! Thanks to you, sumon and others involved it this project for your efforts! :)
(But I don't like the fact that AutoHotkey Basic is now just AutoHotkey, and that downloads only feature that version.)

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2015 02:36 AM

This is a reasonable standpoint, but I fear that valid arguments will be deleted because a moderator perceives them to be trolling.

I'm pretty sure we'll all be unanimous on whether comparing me to kim jong il is to be considered trolling.

That is a misquotation which I do not appreciate. You have already used several logical fallacies, and misquotation is of a similar manner.
You were the one who mentioned Kim Jong Il.

<nimdAHK_> he [sumon]'s MIA
[18] <berban> wait <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke... ... viewresult<!-- m --> clearly _L won the vote
[18] <infogulch> yeah
[18] <nimdAHK_> berban: yep
[18] <berban> what was the point of the vote then?
[18] <nimdAHK_> polyethene is now dictator
[18] <berban> hehe
[18] <nimdAHK_> votes don't matter
[18] <nimdAHK_> it's like North Korea
[18] <berban> how about bribes then
[18] <nimdAHK_> a "single party united democracy"

Once again, you can not accurately tell a person's tone from text. It was an attempt at humor, poking fun at North Korea's official website found here:
<!-- m -->http://www.korea-dpr...rum/?page_id=39<!-- m -->

Learning one
  • Members
  • 1483 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2016 02:30 PM
What fincs said +1 except "... I will have no option but to consider leaving this wonderful community" part.

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
Rseding91: Lexikos has historically stayed out of these arguments; there is no point in assuming about his feelings. Rather, he needs to be asked directly, or else both sides will continue to put words in his mouth.

FYI, the community outcry is being continually deleted from this thread:
<!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...pic.php?t=84656<!-- m -->
I know of four replies which have already been deleted.

As a resident of the U.S., I have been brought up to highly value free speech, and the recent censorship adds to my thoughts of leaving. I understand that the forums are not a democracy, but censorship in the past has been sparse, and I do not appreciate the ramped-up protest control.

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts

* and you single-handedly deciding to shove your vision down the community's throat

"Welcomed by everyone" he says, even as he deletes dissenting replies from the thread he linked to :roll:

Benny-D
  • Members
  • 1485 posts
  • Last active: Sep 27 2016 11:23 PM
What on earth happened to the front page of the site? It looks so different now!

Uberi
  • Moderators
  • 1119 posts
  • Last active: May 02 2015 06:05 PM
Redesign, led by polyethene and sumon.

You'll also notice the recent outcry over AHK 1.0.48.05 being reinstated as the de facto official version :?. While I can't say I agree with this choice, I suppose I can live with it for now.

• Guests
  • Last active:

a lie not worth telling

* you got no idea why many of those users left

Yes I do.

until you name nicks and reasons, just another lie, and you brought it up so you can start talking, tell us who the oppressed are robin hood

the portion of the community who cared to speak up doesn't agree with your opinions, so you forced them to accept them, really smart on the part of a site owner of a supposedly open forum

Nota Bene
  • Guests
  • Last active:

[a pie chart]

Does the Green count anonymous users? Because they cannot vote without logging in.

Just wondering

dmg
  • Members
  • 2395 posts
  • Last active: Nov 04 2015 06:46 AM
Is there any way to access AHk_L now that it has been removed from the downloads page?
"My dear Mr Gyrth, I am never more serious than when I am joking."
~Albert Campion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Website | Demo scripts | Blog | External contact

Uberi
  • Moderators
  • 1119 posts
  • Last active: May 02 2015 06:05 PM
It still has its own website you know.

dmg
  • Members
  • 2395 posts
Thank you Uberi. I was not aware. :)
~Albert Campion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dmg
  • Members
  • 2395 posts
I have been reading some of the posts concerning the recent site changes. I must say I am greatly disappointed at what I have seen. While I very much like the new design, and can see potential benefits in many of the upcoming changes, I must register my dissent on the issue of removing AHk_L from the site. I started using AHk Basic over two years ago, and found it to be a marvel. Most of my scripts still work just fine on Basic, but recently I have encountered several problems which could only be solved by using _L. I have come to depend on _L for key elements in several of my scripts. The idea of pretending _L does not exist and presenting Basic as the only version seems as madness to me.

I was not involved in the decision to make these changes, and so I am not privy to the process involved. I do not know what arguments were made for or against, and my ignorance makes me reluctant to pass judgment on those who were involved. I recognize that this site is not a democracy, and so the admins, the leaders, are not required to explain themselves to we ordinary users. But you have taken actions which have upset many of this site's prominent members. These actions seem abrupt and, to be honest, some of them do not make sense. As I say, I recognize that you are not required to explain yourselves to us, but I ask that you do so anyway. Please explain the reasons and logic behind your decisions, calmly and in detail. Not because we pressure you to do so, but because it is the right thing to do.
~Albert Campion