Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Thoughts on the new design

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic
dmg
  • Members
  • 2395 posts
  • Last active: Nov 04 2015 06:46 AM
Note: This post is not about forum politics, but rather a simple commentary on the new design.

Overall I like the new front page very much. It is cleaner and more professional looking than the old one. And I am certain there are benefits to updating the forum software. But there are a couple of things I wanted to comment on.

If you click on the main banner on the front page it takes you to... The front page. This is a fairly standard site feature. But if you click the banner in the forum... It takes you to the forum index. There is nothing wrong with this except that it seems a bit confusing to me. And I cannot seem to find any way to get to the main page, or anywhere else, from within the forum.

If you are browsing the forum and decide to log in to post it drops you back at the forum index rather than returning you to the page you were on. I know this is part of the forum version change because the portablefreeware forum does the same thing. Is there a way to change this somewhere in the settings? It is a minor annoyance but if it can be fixed I think it should be.

Anyone else have any (strictly design related) thought? :)
"My dear Mr Gyrth, I am never more serious than when I am joking."
~Albert Campion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Website | Demo scripts | Blog | External contact

gamax92
  • Members
  • 411 posts
  • Last active: Aug 06 2013 05:00 AM
I think the old forums banner used to redirect you to the main page. That would be a nice feature to put back.

jaco0646
  • Moderators
  • 3165 posts
  • Last active: Apr 01 2014 01:46 AM
The three horizontal bars at the top of forum pages contain a lot of whitespace / unused real estate. I think they could be consolidated into two (or even one). Perhaps something like this, and the remaining whitespace at the bottom could contain links to the front page, documentation, etc.

gamax92
  • Members
  • 411 posts
  • Last active: Aug 06 2013 05:00 AM
@jaco0640
Also true. Though i think a change like that would involve modifying the phpbb3 style.

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2015 06:39 AM
I had planned to modify the phpbb3 style, but the easter weekend is already over, so it'll have to wait

autohotkey.com/net Site Manager

Contact me by email (polyethene at autohotkey.net) or message tidbit

dmg
  • Members
  • 2395 posts
  • Last active: Nov 04 2015 06:46 AM
I just noticed that code is now displayed as all green, with no differentiation for comments. If it is at all possible to change this I suggest it be done quickly. This will make reading code much harder. :?
"My dear Mr Gyrth, I am never more serious than when I am joking."
~Albert Campion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Website | Demo scripts | Blog | External contact

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM

The three horizontal bars at the top of forum pages contain a lot of whitespace / unused real estate. I think they could be consolidated into two (or even one). Perhaps something like this, and the remaining whitespace at the bottom could contain links to the front page, documentation, etc.

If you change the board style in the Board preferences to ProSilver it saves a lot of space. and changes a lot of other stuff.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

Elesar
  • Members
  • 696 posts
  • Last active: May 08 2015 09:51 PM

I just noticed that code is now displayed as all green, with no differentiation for comments. If it is at all possible to change this I suggest it be done quickly. This will make reading code much harder. :?

I believe there is a plugin for phpbb3 to use GeSHi syntax highlighting....which we had a syntax file for on here somewhere...
GeSHi would also highlight several other languages for when people do language inter-ops or translations.

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2015 02:36 AM
IMO simply the old highlighting with code blue and comments green would suffice.
If you want syntax highlighting, post a Gist to GitHub and link it with the gist tag. That should be a good incentive to boost AHK's presence on GitHub.

0x150--ISO
  • Members
  • 657 posts
  • Last active: Apr 07 2012 09:06 PM
Would be nice if code could get line numbers.
Is there a "more official" thread for Forum requests?

DataLife
  • Members
  • 1022 posts
  • Last active: Nov 27 2015 01:09 AM
I noticed that all code boxes are expanded. Is this by design?

It makes browsing forum post more difficult.

Edit: I found another Code box that was not expanded and no choice was given to expand it.

DataLife
Check out my scripts.  (MyIpChanger) (XPSnap) (SavePictureAs) All my scripts are tested on Windows 7, AutoHotkey 32 bit Ansi unless otherwise stated.

tic
  • Members
  • 1934 posts
  • Last active: May 30 2018 08:13 PM
Yes, the inability to expand code boxes is frustrating

jethrow
  • Moderators
  • 2854 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2017 01:57 AM

IMO simply the old highlighting with code blue and comments green would suffice.

-1 - one of the things I was most looking forward to was syntax highlighting.

The new design & functionality is great, so far. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming enhancements as well. I particularly like the new searching capabilities. For instance, being able to see how many of tank's posts contain the word 'idiot' is great.

:?: Can you change your username?

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts
  • Last active: Nov 30 2018 08:50 PM

For instance, being able to see how many of tank's posts contain the word 'idiot' is great.

Only you could think of doing that. :wink:

Morpheus
  • Members
  • 475 posts
  • Last active: Oct 21 2014 11:08 AM

I think the old forums banner used to redirect you to the main page. That would be a nice feature to put back.

+1
Any code that I post will be for AHK Basic.
I'm not always right, but I still try to help.