Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Preferred Java IDE

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Best Java IDE (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Best Java IDE

1. Eclipse (17 votes [60.71%])

Percentage of vote: 60.71%

2. IntelliJ IDEA (2 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. NetBeans (7 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. Other (please specify) (2 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote
polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2015 06:39 AM
I spend a lot of my time writing Java codes, and for this I prefer eclipse. My friend tells me IntelliJ IDEA is better but I don't like it, so I'm interested to see what the community thinks is best.

autohotkey.com/net Site Manager

Contact me by email (polyethene at autohotkey.net) or message tidbit

IsNull
  • Moderators
  • 990 posts
  • Last active: May 15 2014 11:56 AM
I tried all of those IDEs recently, but I'm not really happy whit any of these. I'm using Java a bit longer than a year, primary in my studies and for a project where we are forced to use java.

If it comes to IDEs, my expectations are very high as VS (Visual Studio 2010) does a great job in this.

Netbeans Lacks too much professional features: Refactoring, Code generation, etc. Company driven development.*

IntelliJ IDEA Good code refactoring support, good UI structure and overall concept, but lacks functionality at some points which must be payed separatly. Very good UI designer. Company driven development.*

Eclipse Lot of functionality comes with plugins, very good support for Code generation, refactoring, auto fixing code. Supported by IBM and Google but not controlled. In some parts, the functionality even supersedes VS. However, the plugin driven approach comes to the price of a bad general concept (actually not existent), very bad overview. There are dozens of versions of Eclipse, each version has dozen of different pre bundles of Plugins installed. Really messy.
Some work flows are very complicated: There are no Projects, no Project Files, there are just Workspaces which are a pain in the ass to quickly share with other devs.

However, Eclipse brings the best compromise when you manage to understand and config it and setup the required plugins. And, of curse, your team needs to understand it either.

*Company driven development: Brings better consistency but mostly less support for features, especially if they are not mainstream.

Elesar
  • Members
  • 696 posts
  • Last active: May 08 2015 09:51 PM
I don't write in Java much, but when I do, I use JCreator.

It loads up nice and quick, unlike NetBeans and Eclipse, which I used until I found JCreator.

Note, this is not free/share ware, it is a commercial product with a price tag.
I think the LE version might be free, but the pro version is around US$80 :/
(I'm using it on an academic licence :D - $35)

jaco0646
  • Moderators
  • 3165 posts
  • Last active: Apr 01 2014 01:46 AM
I use NetBeans mainly for its Swing support. The WYSIWYG editor is convenient, and in my experience generates code with very little bloat.
Also, I believe Eclipse "workspaces" are compatible with NetBeans, but not vice-versa.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: Apr 19 2019 05:49 PM
websphere
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM
I use Eclipse at work. I tried NetBeans in the past, it was nice and all, but I switched back to Eclipse.
Plus it is more multilanguages than NetBeans, even if this one caught up a bit.

For quick code testing, I like to launch Processing, it is awful as editor, but I appreciate to be able to write a few lines of code and run them without even having to save the file! (and without using class or main...)
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")