Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Python - Do you use Python with Windows?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic
Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 03:49 PM
As the title asks: Do you use Python with Windows? Which Python version do you prefer? Just curious.

No signature.

fragman
  • Members
  • 1591 posts
  • Last active: Nov 12 2012 08:51 PM
Right now I don't. What are good applications for it that AHK doesn't cover?
My brother uses it for web development sometimes, but I don't do much in that area.

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
I use it under a Linux system now, sometimes shell scripts, sometimes Python. It lacks some functionality what AutoHotkey have, but under these operation systems AHK is not much needed. But if I think in Windows terms, I am not sure if Python is a good choice as a primary language? What it have and AHK not have (imo):

[*:17k0jmwp]a common (well known) and mature language to work with
[*:17k0jmwp]sometimes embedded in applications and used as scripting language
[*:17k0jmwp]batteries included (have very good and large standard library included in all installs)
[*:17k0jmwp]cross platform scripts/applications can be written
Just some examples. It is not meant to be a replacement for AutoHotkey.

No signature.

hd0202
  • Members
  • 709 posts
  • Last active: Feb 14 2016 08:05 PM
I use the XupdateProcessor of Python 2.5 on windows to check the xupdate.diff.xmls I need for my job. 2 years ago it was the only XupdateProcessor I found on the ínternet.

Hubert

Frankie
  • Members
  • 2930 posts
  • Last active: Feb 05 2015 02:49 PM
I use Python frequently on Linux. It's my calculator, quick scripting language, and amusement tool.

The reason I use it less on Windows is it's less reliable. That is, it doesn't come pre-installed. When you just want to give someone a quick script, you have to worry about the 30mb dependency that is the Python interpreter. If I know I'm talking to someone on Linux, I know they already have it, and I don't need to worry.

In scripting, it makes all the difference. I use 2.7.2 mostly. A few of the performance improvements in 3.x really get in my way (like the use of iterators vs. lists).
aboutscriptappsscripts
Request Video Tutorials Here or View Current Tutorials on YouTube
Any code ⇈ above ⇈ requires AutoHotkey_L to run

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
Did you ever tried pyinstaller?

No signature.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM
I use Python on Windows, since Bazaar, my DVCS of choice, is written in this language.
I haven't tried seriously to code in Python yet, though.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

• Guests
  • Last active:

Bazaar, my DVCS of choice

Not to start a Bazaar v Git(Hub) discussion, but why did you choose Bazaar over Git or any other system (not interested in starting a technical discussion over which one is better) I just tried Bazaar and using it with the Explorer was quite easy and a nice experience.

• Guests
  • Last active:
I sometimes use Python for speed-sensitive leisure project if I'm don't want use C.IMO Python is much faster than AHK.

• Guests
  • Last active:
ActivePython..

and for the rest of the scripting Autoit3..

AHK only for some games where AU3 keystrokes are being bypassed and AHK not.