Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

NODE : Launcher.. and more.

• Please log in to reply
374 replies to this topic
Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
  • Last active: Jul 17 2015 07:45 AM

dEZ9e.jpg

node/nōd/
Noun:
A point at which lines or pathways intersect or branch; a central or connecting point.

After long being in development, and even longer in my head, finally I am happy to announce the first public release of NODE. For all those who have used my earlier launchers like nDroid or 320mph, you will feel right at home with the blazing speed and ease of use.

(For those looking to cut to the chase, there's a very basic instruction set along with the download link just below)

And for those who would like to know more, here is how Node is better than what you have used earlier:

- The search algorithm is hugely enhanced. This will in effect find what you are looking for in a much better manner. The needed result will usually be in the top 3 matches, if not the first one. Yes, theoretically it can take longer to do all that ranking before presenting results than to just dump them, but there is a multitude of enhancements to reduce search time, and the end result's quality is a lot better.

- A well defined Object+Action relationship. Everything you search for in the first block are Objects, and depending on what you chose, the Actions are available. Now you can either press Enter to launch with the default action or press Tab and select the needed action. Simple.

- Ranking. All objects are ranked, some more than other. So if you used something recently, that gets ranked higher, readme files get ranked lower. And there are Top level Objects and Sub-Objects, so top level objects get ranked higher (but more on this later).

- Extensions. My favorite feature. Though AHK's limitations do not permit making plugins in their true sense (like you just dump a file in plugins folder, restart app and it becomes a part of the host), but still the way I've built it, it is very easy to write an extension for it. And extensions are very powerful here, they decide what is available to be searched, what part of it, what to show when a result is found, what actions are available and what gets done when that action is performed .. and lot more (details on this will come later too).

- The extensions can 'claim' a search. This means that once you enter something to be searched, the extensions (if so intended) can analyze the search and see if that is something they would like to interpret
An example is the calculator functionality, where you just start typing a mathematical expression (without any prefix) and the calculator jumps in when it sees that it is something it understands.

- Looks better. Well, even at its first release, it looks better than my previous launchers happy.png

Basic Instructions:
1. Extract contents to a new folder.
2. Run Node.exe
3. Default hotkey is Ctrl + / to bring up the Object search.
4. Once you have found what you're looking for, press Enter to launch default action or press Tab to select another action.
5. Top level objects (like Clipboard) can be searched easily by typing / and their name.

And this screenshot here will explain a some of the interface's properties.

7fkpw.jpg

Latest download link

Temp download link (Thanks Uberi)

Credits:
Laszlo for Calculator function
Just Me for [CLASS] DllStruct
tidbit, Lexicos and JDN for clipboard plugin
http://dryicons.com for the icons

History

Ideology

The framework is based on Objects and Actions. You select an object, and then decide on an action to be performed on it. The most basic form of Object would be an application, and the simplest of Actions would be to open it. Then things start getting more interesting, another object can be clipboard text, and action can be remove formatting (so maybe you could paste it easily in GMail). Or an object can be a phrase you just typed, and action can be a web search or addition to Google Calendar.

Also, it learns and tries to best understand what you're looking for. For example, if you typed 'pad' and it brought up Notepad first, but you selected Wordpad, the next time you type 'pad' it brings up Wordpad first.

Thank you

MIA

CleanNews.in : Bite sized latest news headlines from India with zero bloat

fragman
  • Members
  • 1591 posts
  • Last active: Nov 12 2012 08:51 PM
Judging by the screenshot the name "Target" appears likely ;)
I'm interested to see how you'll implement the learning.

• Guests
  • Last active:
What most if not all of these launchers on windows lack in my experience are good plugins, the beauty of QuickSilver on Macs is that it seems to be able to access all sorts of system and other programs data, such as for example the address book of an email application, browser bookmarks etc. I still use 320mph (not nDroid as it was closed source and I modified 320 to my liking). I'd be interested to see the search as you type functions for your new app. Will you be making it open source or keep it closed as you did with nDroid?

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts

Judging by the screenshot the name "Target" appears likely ;)
I'm interested to see how you'll implement the learning.

Good guess, I must say, but that's not it :D

MIA

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts

What most if not all of these launchers on windows lack in my experience are good plugins, the beauty of QuickSilver on Macs is that it seems to be able to access all sorts of system and other programs data, such as for example the address book of an email application, browser bookmarks etc. I still use 320mph (not nDroid as it was closed source and I modified 320 to my liking). I'd be interested to see the search as you type functions for your new app. Will you be making it open source or keep it closed as you did with nDroid?

I completely agree. And that is why I'm trying to keep it as open ended as possible, so that developing extension modules would be quite easy.

To answer your other question, though I have yet to finalize all those details, it will not be fully closed source for sure. Anyway, I'm out-sourcing a lot of functionality, that was earlier part of the host application, to extensions - which would ofcourse be open source.

MIA

sumongu
  • Guests
  • Last active:
This looks and sounds very promising! Will be interesting to see what you will come up with.

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts

This looks and sounds very promising! Will be interesting to see what you will come up with.

Thank you.. I am working hard on it :)

MIA

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM
Welcome back from your lengthy absense
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts

Welcome back from your lengthy absense

Thanks mate, I missed being here.

MIA

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
A (sort of meaningless) little update.
At version 0.12 I realised there was a MUCH better way of working with the GUIs being used. I made the GUIs hardcoded, but then felt later on this might become a huge burden so now I'm biting the bullet and changing a lot of code to make them modular :roll:
This will push the first release a bit (as I'll be re-writing a lot of existing code), but the final product should be a lot better.

Out of curiosity.. would any of these scenarios be worthy to put in, besides the already planned features?

1. You right click a file in explorer, select a menu item, thus bringing my app to focus - where you find any app to open the file with (eg. opening a .exe in ResHacker, or opening a .ico in your editor of choice etc) without going through Windows' Open With or changing file associations.

2. You select a block of text in any window, bring up the app and that becomes an Object with which you can do any text related Actions (eg. strip HTML code, remove formatting etc)

MIA

hoppfrosch
  • Members
  • 399 posts
  • Last active: Feb 26 2016 05:31 AM

Out of curiosity.. would any of these scenarios be worthy to put in, besides the already planned features?

Not quite sure whether I would use #1 - but for sure #2 ...

1. You right click a file in explorer, select a menu item, thus bringing my app to focus - where you find any app to open the file with (eg. opening a .exe in ResHacker, or opening a .ico in your editor of choice etc) without going through Windows' Open With or changing file associations.

Please consider not only supporting explorer - as there are a few other filemanagers ot there ... (I prefer TotalCmd ...)

2. You select a block of text in any window, bring up the app and that becomes an Object with which you can do any text related Actions (eg. strip HTML code, remove formatting etc)

Please consider make this feature plugable, to allow user defined actions to be injected ...

hoppfrosch
  • Members
  • 399 posts
  • Last active: Feb 26 2016 05:31 AM

Not quite sure whether I would use #1 - but for sure #2 ...

Please consider not only supporting explorer - as there are a few other filemanagers ot there ... (I prefer TotalCmd ...)

Please consider make this feature plugable, to allow user defined actions to be injected ...

;     (.)~(.)   
;    (-------)                                    
;---ooO-----Ooo---------------------------------------------------
;    Hoppfrosch  - AHK_L 1.1.07.03 Unicode 32bit on Win7 Ultimate
;-----------------------------------------------------------------                        
;    ( )   ( )                            
;    /|\   /|\

Recommendation: AHK_L (http://l.autohotkey.net/)

• Guests
  • Last active:
Just build the framework and leave the rest to plugins, re 2 have a look at <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.autohotkey.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44727&hilit=mango">viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44727&hilit=mango</a><!-- l -->

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts
  • Last active: Dec 05 2016 10:14 PM
#1: Nah.
#2: Yes, this could be useful if implemented correctly.

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts

Sure, I use an Explorer replacement too, so I understand that's a must.

Yes, I plan to make 'Text' an Object, and any Actions that support this object will be available.

Just build the framework and leave the rest to plugins, re 2 have a look at <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.autohotkey.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44727&hilit=mango">viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44727&hilit=mango</a><!-- l -->

I am actually working towards shifting as much functionality to extensions as possible. That is the major reason I have to do this re-write, else previous nDroid could have been built-upon. And yes, Mango really looks interesting, maybe that can be modified to support single use (it gets a piece of text, shows menu, user chooses action, it works - and exits), and then a simple extension can bridge these two apps.

#1: Nah.
#2: Yes, this could be useful if implemented correctly.

Thanks for the input, now I guess I shouldn't put a lot of effort on #1, atleast for now.

MIA