Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

NODE : Launcher.. and more.

• Please log in to reply
374 replies to this topic
Drugwash
  • Members
  • 1078 posts
  • Last active: May 24 2016 04:20 PM
Here's my mockup version of how I'd do it: download. This one doesn't do anything but definitely looks great! And looks even greater in 9x since I use the text shadow API provided by Revolutions Pack. ;)

P.S. Hotkey is CTRL+7, but double-click on tray icon will do either. That's how yours shows up on my XP, as I use exclusively the Romanian keyboard which does not have a slash key directly but a combination of Shift+7.

Reuploaded. Hotkey was a mess, didn't properly clean up on exit.

(AHK 1.0.48.05 and Win98SE) forever | My scripts are here

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
  • Last active: Jul 17 2015 07:45 AM
Oh you weren't kidding when you said you love Magenta! And I can't have anything in that color, I am more of a Blue/Green kind of guy :D
But color aside, I like the mockup, though it didn't show any text shadows on my system.
The animation is nice - I wanted to put that in Node, but some people opposed it in nDroid saying that its supposed to be really fast and the animation makes it slow. I still used it with the animation option turned on :)

MIA

CleanNews.in : Bite sized latest news headlines from India with zero bloat

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts

That's how yours shows up on my XP, as I use exclusively the Romanian keyboard which does not have a slash key directly but a combination of Shift+7.

Oh, but its easily changeable in the Config window..

MIA

Drugwash
  • Members
  • 1078 posts
well, the color is just a personal preference (and problably something defective in my brain that doesn't stand green), but that's easily changeable with a skinning system based on multi-image bitmap. The above is just a quick child's play, doesn't incorporate such thing.

The text shadow won't work on anything else but Win98SE/ME with Revolutions Pack installed, since it uses DrawTextShadowEx() in rp8.dll which does not exist in any official OS versions.

The animation, of course, can be toggled on/off in a working application, upon preference. It was just a bonus and only because I felt like putting it in.

I know the hotkey is configurable, just wanted to point out that the default may not show up as intended, on systems with layouts different than US English. A mistake many devs make, is assuming. Just as the creator of EasyWinAPI assumed everybody would have a modern keyboard with the Win key, which is utterly wrong in my case since I'm using exclusively IBM Model M keyboards manufactured in the '80s that lack the said key. And - guess what: EasyWinAPI is closed source, no configurable hotkey, no way to even begin to use it.

I'm a person that likes the freedom of choice: if it's there, then I may or may not use it. If it's not there, I may need it, won't find it so I'll ditch the app and find another one that suits my needs. ;)

EDIT:
Here's the 9x version with text shadow. You'll notice a small bug in the Edit control, as the brush seems to be misaligned and couldn't find a way to properly align it. :( Moreover, dunno what M$ did to the ImageList_* functions, since they work fine in 9x but in XP they fail miserably. Try to break a non-standard bmp into pieces with ImageList_LoadImage() and it'll fail in XP+ unless the bmp has one of the standard icon sizes (16x16, 32x32, 128x128), while in 9x I can feed it any size I want. ImageList_Add will fail to work properly with 32bit bitmaps in 9x and in XP... oh well. :(
Posted Image

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts
  • Last active: Dec 05 2016 10:14 PM
Very impressed, for such an early release.

It's blazing fast and the simple looks and dropdown list all look & work nice. I like the name. This'll be an always-running-app for me, for sure. I edited the config file manually to make Windows+N work as a hotkey.

I won't comment on the features I'm missing, since I assume you're already aware of most of them.

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts

I'm a person that likes the freedom of choice: if it's there, then I may or may not use it. If it's not there, I may need it, won't find it so I'll ditch the app and find another one that suits my needs.

I guess I'm glad it gives you a choice then :)

Very impressed, for such an early release.

It's blazing fast and the simple looks and dropdown list all look & work nice. I like the name. This'll be an always-running-app for me, for sure.

Thank you so much, I'm glad you like it.
And let me grab the opportunity to thank you for all the contribution you've made to the community, especially with the discouraging developments lately (about which I've tried hard to keep quiet, besides voting for '_L').

I edited the config file manually to make Windows+N work as a hotkey.
I won't comment on the features I'm missing, since I assume you're already aware of most of them.

Oh I completely forgot the Hotkey field doesn't allow that.. hmm, something to update in future then.
And please let me know of what you would like to see. Even if it already is on my list, I'd know more people want it.

MIA

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts

Here's the 9x version with text shadow.

That actually is nice, I'd surely like to use it if it was available more universally.

By the way, I'll probably introduce some transparency etc in later versions - though I'm not sure if everybody will like it, as some people just want it as simple as possible.

MIA

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts
Thanks for the compliment! I'll list a few things that crossed my mind:

[*:2xnbf205]A better/custom hotkey field/system to allow for hotkeys using Windows (it's too bad that AHK doesn't support this natively)
[*:2xnbf205]Bug (?): When a custom hotkey is added, and a configuration is saved - it gets removed (due to the hotkey field not being able to show the custom hotkey?)
[*:2xnbf205]Bug: If "Hotkey" is empty, NODE crashes - saying that the hotkey doesn't exist
[*:2xnbf205]Action: Send commandline argument(s)
[*:2xnbf205]Action: Open with (...)
[*:2xnbf205]Action GUI should be removed when inactive
[*:2xnbf205]NODE Gui should be movable (f.ex. by dragging the image element in the bottom right?) and maybe add a right-click action to access the menu?
[*:2xnbf205]When a scrollbar is added to the right, one (unnecessary) is added at the bottom. The fix, I suppose, would be to slightly decrease the item widths?
That's a good start for now.

Drugwash
  • Members
  • 1078 posts
Draggability can easily be resolved through skinning, where the window can be dragged by any part of the skin and non-active elements (Static controls) - see my mockup above. A g-label for the skin elements pointing to PostMessage, 0xA1,2,,, A would be just enough.

The scrollbar issue can also be fixed with a touch of class, in that when resizing the column(s), the real scrollbar width should be taken into account, as there may be systems with custom scrollbar width (such as mine):
SysGet, sbw, 2 ; SM_CXVSCROLL
LV_ModifyCol(1, listwidth-sbw)

I concur that Open with... is a much desirable action. In my mockup, I set the context action to hide the GUI, to (relatively) quickly get it out of the way. However, a menu could be displayed for a right-click on the quarter-target logo.

As for transparency, I personally find it not only useless but also annoying. It's just a personal opinion, though.

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
[*:2scto55w]A better/custom hotkey field/system to allow for hotkeys using Windows (it's too bad that AHK doesn't support this natively)
- Yes, seems now it should be done soon.
[*:2scto55w]Bug (?): When a custom hotkey is added, and a configuration is saved - it gets removed (due to the hotkey field not being able to show the custom hotkey?)
- I wasn't aware, I'll fix soon.
[*:2scto55w]Bug: If "Hotkey" is empty, NODE crashes - saying that the hotkey doesn't exist
- Another fix needed :)
[*:2scto55w]Action: Send commandline argument(s)
- I agree, that should be added
[*:2scto55w]Action: Open with (...)
- How do you think I should implement it. A right click on a file in explorer and Object in Node selected would launch the Open With app?
[*:2scto55w]Action GUI should be removed when inactive
- You mean when you go back from Action to Object?
[*:2scto55w]NODE Gui should be movable (f.ex. by dragging the image element in the bottom right?) and maybe add a right-click action to access the menu?
- And remember position too?
[*:2scto55w]When a scrollbar is added to the right, one (unnecessary) is added at the bottom. The fix, I suppose, would be to slightly decrease the item widths?
-I thought it was already that way. hmm... maybe it is due to our different desktop themes. I'll reduce the column width further.Thank you for all the ideas and bug reports Sumon, that'll keep me busy for a while :)

MIA

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts

Draggability can easily be resolved through skinning, where the window can be dragged by any part of the skin and non-active elements (Static controls) - see my mockup above. A g-label for the skin elements pointing to PostMessage, 0xA1,2,,, A would be just enough.

The scrollbar issue can also be fixed with a touch of class, in that when resizing the column(s), the real scrollbar width should be taken into account, as there may be systems with custom scrollbar width (such as mine):

SysGet, sbw, 2 ; SM_CXVSCROLL
LV_ModifyCol(1, listwidth-sbw)

I concur that Open with... is a much desirable action. In my mockup, I set the context action to hide the GUI, to (relatively) quickly get it out of the way. However, a menu could be displayed for a right-click on the quarter-target logo.

As for transparency, I personally find it not only useless but also annoying. It's just a personal opinion, though.

Thanks so much for the help and nifty suggestions Drugwash, that'll surely help speed up those features.

As for the right click menu, do you mean a copy of the tray menu, or something else?

MIA

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts

Req: Action: Open with (...)
- How do you think I should implement it. A right click on a file in explorer and Object in Node selected would launch the Open With app?
Req: Action GUI should be removed when inactive
- You mean when you go back from Action to Object?
Req: NODE Gui should be movable (f.ex. by dragging the image element in the bottom right?) and maybe add a right-click action to access the menu?
- And remember position too?
Req: When a scrollbar is added to the right, one (unnecessary) is added at the bottom. The fix, I suppose, would be to slightly decrease the item widths?
-I thought it was already that way. hmm... maybe it is due to our different desktop themes. I'll reduce the column width further.[/list]Thank you for all the ideas and bug reports Sumon, that'll keep me busy for a while :)

Regarding "Open with (...)": I think that "Edit text" should only be available for text files (however that could be reliably found out), but that "Open with..." could trigger a Windows prompt to select a program to open the file with. If/how this can be achieved, I do not know. Should be doable?

Regarding "Action GUI": I mean when you go back from Action to Object (like when you press the hotkey again, I realized), but I personally wouldn't consider it bad design if it was also removed whenever the GUI lost focus for other reasons too.

Regarding "Movable GUI": I like the Launchy options of "Always center horizontally/vertically" - I have it to center horizontally, and can then choose to have it on the top, middle, bottom etc. of my screen by moving it - and it remembers the position the next time. I suppose in general you could draw some inspiration from Launchy's GUI options (even if many of them are not necessary, some of them are rather handy and easy to implement).

Regarding "Scrollbar": I forgot to attach the image: [img]. I use Windows 7 with Aero enabled, and a 1920x1200 monitor.

Oh, and yea a copy of the traymenu would be nice and rather intuitive. Also, I personally like a white background (that is - white on gray) on the GUI, especially when using tabs. Makes it easier to spot the tabs, and easier to read.

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts

Regarding "Open with (...)": I think that "Edit text" should only be available for text files (however that could be reliably found out), but that "Open with..." could trigger a Windows prompt to select a program to open the file with. If/how this can be achieved, I do not know. Should be doable?

Yes, that would be most easily doable, but would be even harder to use than windows' built in feature, as everytime one has to use it, will have to go through the path in a FileSelectFile window. An ideal solution would probably be to select a document in the object window, Open with in action window, and an app in a second object window. But this would require a lot of changes to existing structure. Or can you suggest something that I might be overlooking?

Regarding "Action GUI": I mean when you go back from Action to Object (like when you press the hotkey again, I realized), but I personally wouldn't consider it bad design if it was also removed whenever the GUI lost focus for other reasons too.

Yes, actually i had never pressed the hotkey again when I was on the Action window, so didn't encounter this. I'll try to fix this in next release too.

Regarding "Movable GUI": I like the Launchy options of "Always center horizontally/vertically" - I have it to center horizontally, and can then choose to have it on the top, middle, bottom etc. of my screen by moving it - and it remembers the position the next time. I suppose in general you could draw some inspiration from Launchy's GUI options (even if many of them are not necessary, some of them are rather handy and easy to implement).

If this is not too urgent, I would keep this for later (unlike the hotkey and scrollbar fixes).

Regarding "Scrollbar": I forgot to attach the image: [img]. I use Windows 7 with Aero enabled, and a 1920x1200 monitor.

This will surely be there in the next update. Drugwash's tip is really helpful to achieve the desired result. And yes, I tried switching to Aero and found that its extra wide scrollbar was messing up my app.

Oh, and yea a copy of the traymenu would be nice and rather intuitive. Also, I personally like a white background (that is - white on gray) on the GUI, especially when using tabs. Makes it easier to spot the tabs, and easier to read.

Ok, I'll try to add that menu too.. though in the longer run I think better would be to add Internal command objects like /Quit, /Config etc.
I haven't checked, is the tab color only doable through some obscure postmessage command? adding CFFFFFF to its option changes just the text on its sub-tabs.

MIA

Drugwash
  • Members
  • 1078 posts
Glad to be of help! :)

About the context menu - yeah, as sumon says; I just made the suggestion based on his comment.

Text editing may include a broader range of file types, not only .txt: inf, ini, log, xml, html and - why not? - ahk. There may be others too. For simple editing such as fixing typos or bad syntax there's no need to launch any fancy editors.

Dunno about tabs, can't find anything relevant through TCS_ and TCM_; maybe only ownerdrawing could help (hooking window procedure) but that may negatively impact on speed and other factors so better not go there.

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
Thanks for confirming what I initially thought about the tabs.

As for text editors, you can ofcourse put your favorite Quick view application there as well. Should I change the name of the Action to something else?

MIA