Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Formal request to Polyethene

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
166 replies to this topic
R3gX
  • Members
  • 307 posts
  • Last active: Dec 29 2013 04:50 PM
+1 for AutoHotkey_L
I totally agree with the first message!

signature.png
Previously known as TomXIII
AutoHotkey version : 1.1.10

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2015 06:39 AM
sumon this thread needs an update :p

autohotkey.com/net Site Manager

Contact me by email (polyethene at autohotkey.net) or message tidbit

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
  • Last active: Nov 19 2015 11:58 AM
how about an update from YOU ! :)

dylan904
  • Members
  • 706 posts
  • Last active: Nov 14 2016 06:17 PM
Well, this is in fact Sumon's post. A formal request to Poly, so I'll put this one on Sumon.

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts
  • Last active: Dec 05 2016 10:14 PM

sumon this thread needs an update :p

Well, this is in fact Sumon's post. A formal request to Poly, so I'll put this one on Sumon.

Oh, actually I had hoped for the update coming from Polyethene since that is the goal of this thread after all (a request for an update). Nevertheless, since you ask so politely (poly) I will provide some update up-til-now: Polyethene has been even more busy than myself for the last month, but will be ready to get going on not only fixing AHK.net (which he has already begun) but move forward with the AutoHotkey main site. I've been speaking to him occasionally discussing a few matters, and requested that he consider the suggestions mentioned in this thread - to respect the opinions of "the many" and accept the contributions of the active, and in that way nourish a more productive climate for AutoHotkey users & scripters. A first step would be to decide to acknowledge and accommodate for the latest stable release of 1.1/_L as the default download/primary supported version when the community, site and documentation is ready to support such a change.

Although no "decision" has been made yet (unless I misunderstood you, poly, if so - correct me!) it will be seriously discussed with involved parties, along with other things, shortly. The public discussion has had quite some time, but feel free to keep up the good spirit of discussion and add anything that has not yet been said - in public or private. I personally really like that the Suggestions forum seems to be more alive than ever, and improvements are accepted and made regularly. Also, I urge that we let the discussion remain civil, that's the proper way of having a healthy debate climate.

Will follow up with an official announcement when there is a such to make.

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts

A first step would be to decide to acknowledge and accommodate for the latest stable release of 1.1/_L as the default download/primary supported version when the community, site and documentation is ready to support such a change.

well, afaik, this is pretty much what we're all waiting on. judging by the responses in this thread, it seems the community is ready to move forward with _L as the main version. just rename AHK_L to AHK.

tidbitNLI
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Not everyone.

himanshu
  • Members
  • 95 posts
  • Last active: Jan 04 2013 03:35 PM
My two cents: Having used AutoHotkey for the last one year or so, I fully agree with the vision (of Chris, others) that the language should be targeted at "everyday" users, and not just programmers. To that end the quick start tutorials and "main features" mentioned on the site should not scare away potential users by making AutoHotkey sound more complicated (for the basic user's scripting/hotkey needs) than it needs to be.
Having said that, there is no reason why the internals of the language should not support powerful features, which the more advanced user might require (even if they use them only occasionally). AHK_L provides such features. I have come to rely on many of them to make my scripts simpler and more readable. I could name quite a few, but I'll just name one
#If expression
How could I live without it? :D

tl;dr
AHK_L provides advanced features, while still allowing creating basic hotkeys/scrips in the simple manner of the (awesome) original AHK. Please let AHK_L be the default/main version.

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2015 06:39 AM
I think sumon forgot to mention what we talked about the day before. I set the weekend from the 18th to sort this out once and for all. We're planning to have a discussion on Skype with Lexikos if he can make it, which sumon will organise and take minutes in.

I haven't read the posts in this thread but I know the general consensus.

autohotkey.com/net Site Manager

Contact me by email (polyethene at autohotkey.net) or message tidbit

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
sounds great poly

i think AHK_L can remain "basic" for the end user as long as we gear the documentation in that direction. there is no need for the casual user to use the advanced features of _L, just as there is no need for the casual user of Basic to use DllCall. and therefore DllCall is not spammed on any of the basic docs pages here

yipyip
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2011 10:14 PM
just a suggestion, rename ahk_l to "ahk pro" and make both equally accessible on the web page :D

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts
  • Last active: Dec 05 2016 10:14 PM

I think sumon forgot to mention what we talked about the day before. I set the weekend from the 18th to sort this out once and for all. We're planning to have a discussion on Skype with Lexikos if he can make it, which sumon will organise and take minutes in.

I haven't read the posts in this thread but I know the general consensus.

Although no "decision" has been made yet (unless I misunderstood you, poly, if so - correct me!) it will be seriously discussed with involved parties, along with other things, shortly.

[...]

Will follow up with an official announcement when there is a such to make.

Well I phrased it differently since I didn't know how much you wanted to share. But my quote refers to the above Skype discusison :)

himanshu
  • Members
  • 95 posts
  • Last active: Jan 04 2013 03:35 PM
So good to hear all this. Kudos Polythene and Sumon on your efforts to find consensus, and I hope we get to hear some good news soon :)

OpalMonkey
  • Members
  • 29 posts
  • Last active: Aug 07 2015 08:21 AM

So good to hear all this. Kudos Polythene and Sumon on your efforts to find consensus, and I hope we get to hear some good news soon :)

Agreed! Glad to hear Lexikos will likely be involved too. Hopefully a plan can be found that's agreeable for everyone, and beneficial for the community.

dylan904
  • Members
  • 706 posts
  • Last active: Nov 14 2016 06:17 PM
I'm about to pee my pants.
#anxious