Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Formal request to Polyethene

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
166 replies to this topic
rbrtryn
  • Members
  • 1177 posts
  • Last active: Sep 11 2013 08:04 PM

I'm about to pee my pants.

TMI :lol:

My Scripts are written for the latest released version of AutoHotkey.

Need a secure, accessible place to backup your stuff? Use Dropbox!

toralf
  • Moderators
  • 4035 posts
  • Last active: Aug 20 2014 04:23 PM
Dear all,

It's been a long time since I posted in this forum.
But it seems that I have come in the right time to see where this discussion is leading the forum, AHK and the community. As one of the "older" users of this forum ( I see that polyethene is some months ahead), as a former mod and at times having the second most posts after Chris I consider myself a main contributor of the initial community. I would really hate to see this community split up.

My 2 cents: I see no disadvantage in using the _L version from now on as the new AHK main branch. It "just" has a few more functionalities. And if these get well documented and integrated in the basic existing manual I believe everyone would be happy.

I also see the long way in front of you all to create the right documentation. Some years ago we tried to translate the docs into German. I do not even know which status it has now, but I assume it never got finished, since maintaining two sets of doc is tedious or even possible with the simple approach we tried.

I'm interested to see what consensus will be found tomorrow.
My vote is for AHK_L
Ciao
toralf

I use the latest AHK version (1.1.15+)
Please ask questions in forum on ahkscript.org. Why?
For online reference please use these Docs.

IsNull
  • Moderators
  • 990 posts
  • Last active: May 15 2014 11:56 AM
Sieh mal einer an, der toralf :)

I also see the long way in front of you all to create the right documentation. Some years ago we tried to translate the docs into German. I do not even know which status it has now, but I assume it never got finished, since maintaining two sets of doc is tedious or even possible with the simple approach we tried.

Behauptungen stellt der auf :D Schau doch hier wieder mal vorbei <!-- m -->http://de.autohotkey.com/docs/<!-- m --> Würde mich auch freuen, dich wieder im Deutschen Forum begrüssen zu dürfen ;)
Rangar hat sich eine riesen Arbeit gemacht und managt nun das Ganze wunderbar.

</de>

</ot>

:mrgreen:

toralf
  • Moderators
  • 4035 posts
  • Last active: Aug 20 2014 04:23 PM
Hi isNull,
Thanks for the clarification. I'm sure the German docs are of great value to the German audience. And thanks for the invite. But I hardly make it into the English forum, therefore I predict I will not be present in the German in the foreseeable future.
Ciao
toralf

I use the latest AHK version (1.1.15+)
Please ask questions in forum on ahkscript.org. Why?
For online reference please use these Docs.

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
  • Last active: Nov 19 2015 11:58 AM

I think sumon forgot to mention what we talked about the day before. I set the weekend from the 18th to sort this out once and for all. We're planning to have a discussion on Skype with Lexikos if he can make it, which sumon will organise and take minutes in.

results?!

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts
  • Last active: Dec 05 2016 10:14 PM

I think sumon forgot to mention what we talked about the day before. I set the weekend from the 18th to sort this out once and for all. We're planning to have a discussion on Skype with Lexikos if he can make it, which sumon will organise and take minutes in.

results?!

To be announced shortly. :)

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
Posted Image

fischgeek
  • Moderators
  • 1074 posts
  • Last active: Jul 07 2015 06:27 PM
I have been silently watching this thread since it started back in May with summon's original post. From what I can gather the consensus is to not offer a basic version anymore and roll everything up into one version. guest3456 said it best IMO, because I too have resisted the switch, but for different reasons. However, I do agree 100% with him.

I'm a Basic user and yet I still think _L should be the way forward. I have resisted the switch as long as possible, fearing exactly this situation: the community splitting, and two ahk's going separate ways. I think this is the worst thing that can happen.

I consider myself an average, middle-of-the-pack programmer. I think the object implementation in _L is pretty complicated. And I don't even know what the word variadic means. So I agree some of the stuff in _L is a bit far out, but that doesn't mean I'm forced to use them. I can continue using dynamic variables instead of arrays if I want to. I envision the main marketing of AHK to REMAIN to be very basic, promoting hotkeys, hotstrings, Send, and other basic stuff. The average newbie need not know about anything more and the updated docs should reflect that

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
i think the Basic version should still be linked and made availble, but perhaps rename it to Legacy or something and just promote v1.1 as the latest official build

fischgeek
  • Moderators
  • 1074 posts

i think the Basic version should still be linked and made availble, but perhaps rename it to Legacy or something and just promote v1.1 as the latest official build

What's the point of doing that though if _L has the capability to do anything Basic can do? Like you said, _L has advanced features that does not have to be used if you don't want to use them.

fincs
  • Moderators
  • 1662 posts
  • Last active:
I believe what guest3456 means is that the old AutoHotkey v1.0.48.05 should be referred then to as "Legacy AutoHotkey" and made available in some sort of "old AutoHotkey version archive" page for those people who still forcefully rely on said version due to OS/etc compatibility issues (*cough* Windows 9x).

fischgeek
  • Moderators
  • 1074 posts

(*cough* Windows 9x)

LOL. Okay, then in that case I agree. Promote _L to a standard version. And toss Basic into an archive.

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
yea exactly

just me
  • Members
  • 1496 posts
  • Last active: Nov 03 2015 04:32 PM

results?!

To be announced shortly. :)

I am waiting, I am waiting (oh yeah, oh yeah) ...
... or am I missing something?

Prefer ahkscript.org for the time being.

• Guests
  • Last active:
so? what's the decision?