Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Formal request to Polyethene

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
166 replies to this topic
G. Sperotto
  • Members
  • 539 posts
  • Last active: Jun 20 2015 04:54 PM
I suppose nothing has been announced yet because an update (to the site, forum or anything related) is being worked on and is planned for release upon the announcements?

"What is a suitable automation? Whatever saves your day for the greater matters."
Barcoder - Create QR Codes and other Barcodes using only Autohotkey !!

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts
  • Last active: Dec 05 2016 10:14 PM

I suppose nothing has been announced yet because an update (to the site, forum or anything related) is being worked on and is planned for release upon the announcements?

Quite right. A decision has been made and the details are being worked out. Unfortunately Polyethene seems to be busy at the moment, thus the delay in details and therefore official announcement.

Keep on rollin'.

floodindahood
  • Members
  • 383 posts
  • Last active: Apr 20 2018 01:45 PM
I might get a hail of poop for saying this, but had I started out with AHK_L I wouldn't have gotten anywhere near this point which isn't amazing but still quite a lot.

Ahk basic is really basic, when you first look at it as someone who has never written a single script line before then it looks a little intimidating "omg.. random words assigning unknown stuff to..wth i'm lost already" then you check other possibilities such as C++, Java and so on and notice the command list for AHK is pretty OK, "maybe I can do this afterall *o*".

AHK_L looks scarier with more stuff to it. The bigger you make something the more intimidating it gets when you look at the whole thing even if all it is made up of is simple stuff and when you are a noobie then you don't see the simple stuff. Only the whole thing. With the complex and hard stuff shining as a massive beacon oozing plasma.

What I'm trying to say is that it's nice that there is an an 'ez-mode' AHK while not necessarily all that great and then when you feel unsatisfied you remember from the first day that there is the advanced and far superior AHK_L. (...and none of what i said is based on what is and what isn't, just how it seems and feels)

Now, ya'll can lynch me :'(

dmg
  • Members
  • 2395 posts
  • Last active: Nov 04 2015 06:46 AM
Don't worry floodindahood. To the best of my knowledge nobody has ever been lynched on the AHk forums. This might be due to a lack of virtual rope and/or a virtual tree to hang the rope from, but I prefer to think it is because the users on here tend to be patient, forgiving people... I could be wrong though. :?

I see your point. I started with AHk basic and I put off going to _L mostly because I was intimidated by the idea of a 'more advanced' version. But my trepidation stemmed from a mistaken impression, not from anything to do with the reality of the situation. The two version are virtually identical where it counts. And as long as things are explained the right way there will be no reason for new users to feel daunted. Of course, some will anyway, but that is just a fact no matter which version is promoted. I am pretty sure that if _L is presented as the main branch, and the 'marketing' is handled correctly, new users won't have any more to worry about than they have now.
"My dear Mr Gyrth, I am never more serious than when I am joking."
~Albert Campion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Website | Demo scripts | Blog | External contact

dylan904
  • Members
  • 706 posts
  • Last active: Nov 14 2016 06:17 PM
If you started out with _L like me, being the 1st scripting language/library ever pondered, you would find AHK in and of itself intimidating.

Most Basic commands are still valid in _L, and most of the "new" commands in _L are merely a more efficient method to what you would have used in Basic.

No matter what you're looking at from a beginner standpoint, if you take it one step at a time it can be done just as easily IMHO.

R3gX
  • Members
  • 307 posts
  • Last active: Dec 29 2013 04:50 PM
@floodindahood : I agree with dylan904. Go step by step and you will see that it is not so difficult!
I admit that at first I had trouble with AutoHotkey especially with the variables.
I put a little time to know when to use variables with % and variables without %.
But now, the biggest trouble is to use another programming language!
AutoHotkey is one of the easiest programming (scripting!) languages​​!
Even if I use at maximum 60% of it capabilities, AutoHotkey provide everything I want and quickly!

So be patient and your efforts will be rewarded!

@Sumon & @Polyethene : I'm waiting for good news!

signature.png
Previously known as TomXIII
AutoHotkey version : 1.1.10

Sephiroth2906
  • Members
  • 86 posts
  • Last active: Dec 31 2012 04:28 PM
I personally have not made the switch to L, but, as anyone who has helped me in the past knows, I am really not a very good programmer. I get the basic gist and can do simple things, but I am constantly in the forum looking for help when doing a new project, and while I do learn from the help I am given, often the solutions I get are over my head. I can implement them, not duplicate them. The community has been exceeding gracious with their hand-holding for me and countless others.

My point is that if the overwhelming preference for the constant users of the site is to move to L, then I think a disservice is being done to them by keeping basic easily accessible. It is great that the users here are willing to clean up messes of folks like me, but it is asking a lot to have them have to ask what version of AHK is being used. If I need to make the switch to L, so be it. It does not seem honestly that the differences are so great, and if folks like me want the forum to help, we should get on board the right train or don't ride at all.

Just my 2 cents

LarryC
  • Guests
  • Last active:
AHK is great for those people who are not programmers, and no time to be a knowledgeable programmers. They just want to control window applications. They may be professionals, doctors, dentists, farmers, who have their careers, families and other obligations that prevents them from learning AHK_L. So be it. These people, like myself, in the past, would have to make do with other Hotkey programs.
Sounds like from this thread, the intention is throw them off the train.
I still do not understand, why we cannot have both.

• Guests
  • Last active:
@LarryC: you (still?) don't understand that AutoHotkey_L is 96.23%* the same as AutoHotkey (basic) - it is just as easy to use hotstrings, hotkeys, run programs etc etc. Apart from that it offers more sophisticated methods of dealing with complex issues like objects & com. BUT that doesn't mean all the easy stuff is thrown out - in fact some things are EASIER to do in AutoHotkey_L.

So AutoHotkey_L is a win win situation: still just as easy to use for people not interested in programming but who just want to have some hotstrings AND "real" programmers who want to do "complex" stuff - it is all a matter of presentation - take away the "scary" words on <!-- m -->http://l.autohotkey.net/<!-- m --> and everyone will simply download AutoHotkey_L

It only needs to be presented as the "normal" AutoHotkey on the official <!-- m -->http://www.AutoHotkey.com<!-- m --> website. Nobody - not even a farmer - needs to be scared of AutoHotkey_L and possibly a future version v2 (which will hopefully solve many confusing issues, confusing for newbies that is)

You have to be realistic: AutoHotkey basic development stopped in 2009 - it works perfectly fine, but with Windows 8 around the corner and no doubt future versions of Windows the only version under active development is AutoHotkey_L - no doubt it will (over time) take into account Windows 8 specific issues or people will develop Windows 8 work arounds which might be not possible with basic. I assume you want to keep on using AutoHotkey in the next couple of years after you buy a new computer with Windows 8 on it? Just download and install AutoHotkey_L Ansi and all your scripts will work (unless you use certain characters in variable names but that is very easy to solve)

* could also be 97.21% but I haven't checked actually :D

Guest37713
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I have never seen a "sub-language" take over the main languages website and its... legacy. Even on languages (and programs, not just languages) that are no longer developed officially.

Instead, they all have their own website, possibly with a mention on the official site (Which AHK does that).
AHKL already has its own site where it is the main feature download: http://l.autohotkey.net/ so why should it need another site?
perhaps it could do what Chris did with AHK and start off with a new name, new site, new community, for the new direction of the language (oop-like & a bit more strict, professional and mature). It'll then have its own site, own name, get its place into google searches so the userbase will expand, etc. Also, new users won't be confused by the mix of AHK and AHKL scripts in one location. It'll be organised.

Those who prefer AHKL could follow it, that's a lot of people. Those who have no need or still believe poly might keep his word and start up ahk again can stay here. Those who use both (me. got both installed) could join the other forum and stay on this one.

Or perhaps they (Lex & poly & others) are discussing a merger and it'll take some time to even out their opinions, "I want this and this but not this or this".

ps: don't get me wrong, I don't hate Lexikos (or Poly) or AHKL. I do use it at times, but only for COM.

• Guests
  • Last active:
Starting with a new name is a waste of energy and resources - everything is here already. Chris had a good reason - taking into a new direction - _L is simply a continuation - it is only a matter of semantics. Drop the distinction and present AutoHotkey_L as AutoHotkey on the AutoHotkey website which is <!-- m -->http://www.AutoHotkey.com<!-- m --> - confusion solved. NOBODY CARES - only a handful of forum visitors seem to care which version - research shows 99,34%* simply visit the site, click download and install, they don't care which version but it would be better for them to have the latest for the reasons given above. Que the "it doesn't work - I'm on Windows 8" messages - now that would be a shame, people find it try it (the advertised "basic") and get disappointed and never come back. Only gives AutoHotkey a bad reputation. Make the switch and nobody will complain about it.

* just a rough estimate :D

himanshu
  • Members
  • 95 posts
  • Last active: Jan 04 2013 03:35 PM
I thought it had already been accepted that the very very vast majority of users (who have an opinion either way) are in favor of AHK_L. The vast consensus in this thread, the signatures of many users, and the results of the poll, all show that.

In fact, in I remember right, some time back it had been decided that AHK_L should be the "main" branch, and it was the one which was downloaded by default (or had the most prominent download button etc). Everything was fine then.

Both old/advanced AND new/novice users were happy with that. Or atleast nobody complained much.

After all the confusion of the last several months, and the resulting emergence of a vast consensus about AHK_K, I see no reason why this discussion needs to be revived. All the points have already been raised (and answered).

I maybe very out of place for saying the following, but I really think someone needs to.

While poly has been, and is, a very respected member of the community, and someone who has contributed to it immensely, he just seems to have been too busy (for certain decisions being taken) for a long long time. Clearly, a community's evolution and progress should not be slowed down just because of a admin who has very little time for the community. Users are getting impatient and frustrated. New users are choosing alternative languages like AutoIt because of the uncertainty about "which" AHK version will be mainstream in the future (I know this happened to a friend) The confusion (and the mini-war) in the community is not helping anyone and needs to be resolved as soon as possible. It would be great if we start seeing some results in that direction.

My 2 cents.

Eedis
  • Members
  • 1775 posts
  • Last active: Aug 14 2015 06:33 PM

While poly has been, and is, a very respected member of the community, and someone who has contributed to it immensely, he just seems to have been too busy (for certain decisions being taken) for a long long time. Clearly, a community's evolution and progress should not be slowed down just because of a admin who has very little time for the community.

I agree, refer to this.

Users are getting impatient and frustrated. New users are choosing alternative languages like AutoIt because of the uncertainty about "which" AHK version will be mainstream in the future (I know this happened to a friend)

I disagree with this statement. Although, some users may be getting frustrated or impatient, I have never seen or heard of anyone switching to a different language for the mere fact that the language is slow to evolve (and that goes for any scripting language). Just because there is an uncertainty at what the 'mass' chooses as a default language does not make the community or language any less relevant. To be honest, I use 'L', and if poly decides to leave 'Basic' as the default language, it will not change or hinder my opinion of either in any way, shape, or form.

The confusion (and the mini-war) in the community is not helping anyone and needs to be resolved as soon as possible.

What? Mini-war in the community? Since when? I've never seen any draft papers going around the forum or heard any onomonapedic-gunshots. You must have some-how fashioned a time machine and was able to get the internet back during the Civil War, somehow tunnel the internet through the time machine, and back to present time. There is no war or even a disagreement on a large scale of that matter. This community is exactly what it is called.... a community. It always is and will always be, no matter any minor set-back.
AutoHotkey state, the forum, Poly, and Drainx1. The short story.
I love my wife, my life, my atomic-match; for giving me the greatest gift a man could ask for, such a perfect and beautiful little girl.
9rjbjc.png

• Guests
  • Last active:
@Eedis: people have left ahk when development (seemingly) stopped (Laszlo)

And dispite the "many" forum posts and polls advocating ahk_l the vast majority of ahk users don't even know or realize or care there are different versions, look at the number of registered users and the number of guest visiting the forum - compare that to the number of votes (=very low). Conclusion: nobody (or only a small group) cares, just switch and nobody will be able to tell the difference.

If ahk_l was just ahk and presented as such - farmer LarryC would have downloaded and installed it and be the same happy user he is today. He wouldn't know nor care about objects & com - he just be a happy user. :D :lol: now is he only consued :?

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM
guest you have no way to correlate lazlo seeming to disappear other than convenient timing please don't equate one to other without proof
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.