Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

[Recycle bin] SKAN's Tips and Tricks

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic
SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:
* Reserved * [ for notes on Windows Registry ]

Thalon
  • Members
  • 641 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2017 12:17 PM

1) Do you find my Communication effective? (not Grammar!) ?
2) Will the info be easily understood by a New user (Newbie) ?

If a newbie is common enough with AHK to do simply things by himself and not only retyping (or copying) what another user wrote he can easily use your tips!
They are well explained (If all scripts could be at this standard.. :) )

3) Is the Layout of my post "Viewer Friendly" ?

I like the design of your posts.

I think the clock.ico-error has to be found in the file itself. I am not able to view it with software! It can't be opened with Paint (can't open ico's, but maybe it isn't a really icon) and also not with an icon-viewer. Also trying to extract any icons show only the normal standard "no programm assigned to this format" icon. Maybe you could check if anything is corrupt there...

Thalon

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM
I haven't tested this script, I using the link you gave, I could download the icon: Firefox displayed it OK, and after a Save As..., I got a regular icon displayable with IrfanView.
Did you tried to download it again?
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:

1) Do you find my Communication effective? (not Grammar!) ?
2) Will the info be easily understood by a New user (Newbie) ?

If a newbie is common enough with AHK to do simply things by himself and not only retyping (or copying) what another user wrote he can easily use your tips!
They are well explained (If all scripts could be at this standard.. :) )

3) Is the Layout of my post "Viewer Friendly" ?

I like the design of your posts.

I think the clock.ico-error has to be found in the file itself. I am not able to view it with software! It can't be opened with Paint (can't open ico's, but maybe it isn't a really icon) and also not with an icon-viewer. Also trying to extract any icons show only the normal standard "no programm assigned to this format" icon. Maybe you could check if anything is corrupt there...

Thalon

Thank you very much for the feedback Thalon .. :D

It seems the "UrlDownloadToFile" does something strange at my pc!
I have downloaded the clock.ico by using the link specified an I got a 766 Byte File which can be used well in script (no error).
With "UrlDownloadToFile" I get a 2.384 ByteFile of unknown format...

Could someone test this behaviour at his pc, too? I am using Version 1.0.42.07.

I am using IE 6.0.2900.2180 and normally I am using Firefox...
Seems not to be a general bug. I think I'll test it at home. Maybe there is some problem with our router or something like this...

I tested with WIN XP Pro and IE 6.0.2600.0000 and still not able to reproduce the error.

Is the errorlevel 0 after successful download ?

Also trying the following:

URLDownloadToFile, https://ahknet.autohotkey.com/~goyyah/Tips-N-Tricks/TaskBar/Clock.bmp, Clock.ico

and please revert back. I want to know whether this makes any difference!

Regards , :)

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:

"Keep 'em coming": excellent work ! :D

Thank you very much Dave - Regards, :)

AGU
  • Guests
  • Last active:

Please bear with me for delayed reply. I am using replies to *Bump* this topic at appropriate time.

Well let me first say I also like you Tips 'n' Tricks. :mrgreen:

This brings me to the point. Why don't you just open up a nice site within the english wiki? In this way you won't have to bump the thread all the time. And you would have all html formatting possibilities offered by mediawiki. :D

URL is http://www.autohotke... ... =Main_Page

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:
Dear AGU, :)

Well let me first say I also like you Tips 'n' Tricks. :mrgreen:

Thanks! :D

This brings me to the point. Why don't you just open up a nice site within the english wiki? In this way you won't have to bump the thread all the time. And you would have all html formatting possibilities offered by mediawiki. :D

URL is <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke... ... =Main_Page<!-- m -->

I am already aware of wiki and have visited it... But I require feedback! My other idea is opening a webpage @ https://ahknet.autohotkey.com.
I am just waiting for this topic to grow and contain rich information.

One might wonder why this topic has heavy formatting:

Digit is the MOST popular Computer magazine in INDIA.
They have been bundling Autohotkey with their supplementary DVD for the past few months. (There must be many Indians visiting here :?: :!: .)
I have plans to publish my Scripts in Digit's DVD in the hope many readers would discover AutoHotkey's potential.
With this in my mind, I have already started to format my scripts with a descriptive header.

I am planning to use BBCode Writer's preview to create the "HTML Presentation" of my Submission CD! :D

Regards, :)
kWo4Lk1.png

corrupt
  • Members
  • 2558 posts
  • Last active: Nov 01 2014 03:23 PM
@Goyyah: Thanks for the cool TipsNTricks topic. Just a suggestion... could you possibly rename the topic to something like Goyyah's TipsNTricks instead of changing the name each time a new Tip/trick is added? or (even better), create a new topic for each Tip/Trick. It makes it much easier that way for others to add their comments, input, etc... for a particular item. If I added a comment or suggestion for one of the Tips/Tricks near the beginning and a discussion started, this topic would become a mess that would be difficult to follow very quickly... It's already a bit of a mess now. Just a suggestion :) .

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:
Dear corrupt, :)

If I added a comment or suggestion for one of the Tips/Tricks near the beginning and a discussion started, this topic would become a mess that would be difficult to follow very quickly...

That is why I have been providing a title like the following ...

How to find Internet Connection Status ?
http://www.autohotke...p?p=60892#60892

...on top of each post. One may press the quote button - leave the first few lines - delete the rest - and start to answer.

It's already a bit of a mess now..

Do you really think so?. I thought the index page (the first post) would take care of this. If there is some follow-up code posted by visitors I would put a link on the Original post and also reflect it in the Index Post.

It also needs mentioning here that the main posts have a White background while Replies do not.

It will be very easy for me to update these posts whenever I come out with a better solution.

Many thanks for posting your suggestion.

kWo4Lk1.png

corrupt
  • Members
  • 2558 posts

Do you really think so?. I thought the index page (the first post) would take care of this. If there is some follow-up code posted by visitors I would put a link on the Original post and also reflect it in the Index Post.

Yes. The section of the forum is designed to be an index. This way any posts in a topic are for that particular topic. Honestly, although there is useful info here, I stopped trying to wade through the mess and follow the topic a while ago.

Many thanks for posting your suggestion.

You're welcome :) . Again, it's just a suggestion. That's the way the forum was designed and how most people are accustomed to looking for info (one subject per topic). Many people won't take the time to wade through many pages to find the info and/or follow the discussions and may miss out on valuable information provided.

Edit: typo

corrupt
  • Members
  • 2558 posts

It will be very easy for me to update these posts whenever I come out with a better solution.

You could save the url to each topic in favorites of your browser.

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:
Dear corrupt, :)

You could save the url to each topic in favorites of your browser.

It just struck me that, I can still maintain the index on the first post of this topic and start posting the Tips as seperate topics!.
A link back to this index post can be had at each topic. :roll:

Just give me sometime to decide on this...

kWo4Lk1.png

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:
Dear PhiLho, :D

Goyyah: I like this topic, but changing the subject makes hard to search the old sub-topics (where did I saw this text-with-shadow effect?). You don't have to change the way you manage it, but I wanted to draw attention to the problem.

These following are actually links! :shock: Maybe I should underline them?!

[*:3rof7fgt]How to Simulate a Graphical Button in a GUI ?
[*:3rof7fgt]How to Display Shadowed Text in a GUI ?

The index of Tips N Tricks is the first post of this topic and here is the link.
http://www.autohotke...p?p=53452#53452

Maybe I should listen to corrupt's suggestion to post every tip individually!

Just give me sometime to think...

The current topic in particular has taken plenty of my time.

Do you remember this topic? :How do I create a Binary file (Bitmap Image) with AHK Code?
I've been stuck on this for past two months!

Maybe I will end this topic with second part.

kWo4Lk1.png

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
  • Last active: Jul 17 2015 07:45 AM
Hey Goyyah... like all your other tricks, this one is really neat! thanks for sharing.

MIA

CleanNews.in : Bite sized latest news headlines from India with zero bloat

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:

Hey Goyyah... like all your other tricks, this one is really neat!

Thanks Rajat! :D
kWo4Lk1.png