Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

Change AutoHotkey's name to AHK

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
LarryC
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I had posted this earlier in the year, but apparently in the wrong forum.
Put it up again, correctly because I think it is important and should have been considered in the proper forum.

The Hotkey part of the AutoHotkey's name may be a disservice to identify the capablities of AHK, in that it seems to indicate a program that is far less than it is.

United Parcel Services had a similar problem. The name they started with was outgrown from the original concept and they had to change their name to get away from just shipping parcels. They had matured and expanded. They changed their name to UPS. Just UPS, not short for "United Parcel Services". A name in its own right.

In like manner so has AutoHotkey. It has expanded from it's humble origins to a much more powerful program.

So would like to suggest AutoHotkey be renamed to AHK, so preserve its identity, with as little disturbance as possible, but get away from being labelled as just another hotkey program.

Just a thought.

Leef_me
  • Moderators
  • 8510 posts
  • Last active: Sep 10 2015 05:50 AM

So would like to suggest AutoHotkey be renamed to AHK, so preserve its identity, with as little disturbance as possible, but get away from being labelled as just another hotkey program.

:arrow: Concerning using 'AHK' it would seem to make it >less< visible
<!-- m -->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AHK<!-- m -->
AHK may stand for:
* AutoHotkey, a software utility that allows users to automate repetitive tasks and modify the Windows user interface
* Acid House Kings, a Swedish indie pop band

<!-- m -->http://ahk.de/en/<!-- m -->
German Chambers of Commerce - AHKs
Under the service brand DEinternational the AHKs offer their commercial services to support German companies in their efforts to establish new business ...

They changed their name to UPS. Just UPS, not short for "United Parcel Services". A name in its own right.

You seem to be mistaken
<!-- m -->http://www.ups.com/c... ... index.html<!-- m -->

<!-- m -->http://www.ups.com/c... ... /1929.html<!-- m -->
In 1907 ... James E. (“Jim”) Casey, borrowed $100 from a friend and established the American Messenger Company in Seattle, Washington.

In 1919 the company made its first expansion beyond Seattle to Oakland, California,
:arrow: and adopted its present name, United Parcel Service.

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
  • Last active: Nov 19 2015 11:58 AM

LarryC
  • Guests
  • Last active:
wrt: Leef_me "mistaken"
You could be right. I worked there when they changed the fleets name on the vehicles, removing the "United Parcel Services" and putting on the new "UPS" decals. That was what was explained to me, I never thought to question it.

But if I did not use that example, used another example, then what would be your comments, or opinion on the main "subject"? That is to consider removing the "Hotkey" part out of the branding to better describe what it is.

IMO "hotkey" refers to a less capable program. It presents an untrue picture, quite undeserving of what AutoHotkey is now. When someone asks what program did you use, the answer is "a hotkey program" giving an image of an inferior scripting program.

That is the subject matter I wished to present. But I also wonder who is the boss, the one that would accept or think it not a good idea. Would only Chris M have the final say??

LarryC
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Leef_me may be mistaken:
http://www.ups.com/c...story/2007.html
Plse find:

The company went another step further, adopting the acronym UPS as its formal name, another indicator of its broad expanse of services. Ever true to its humble origins,

Leef_me
  • Moderators
  • 8510 posts
  • Last active: Sep 10 2015 05:50 AM

Leef_me may be mistaken:
http://www.ups.com/c...story/2007.html
Plse find:

The company went another step further, adopting the acronym UPS as its formal name, another indicator of its broad expanse of services. Ever true to its humble origins,

You appear to be quite right. Thank you for bring it to my attention.

But if I did not use that example, used another example, then what would be your comments, or opinion on the main "subject"? That is to consider removing the "Hotkey" part out of the branding to better describe what it is.

Please refer to the other half of my post for examples of why I think it is a poor idea from a "text" perspective.

The important point is that the word "AutoHotkey" is distinct, and if you search for that name you will find this website & forum easily. AHK, is more ambiguous.

If someone is in the 'market' for a hotkey program, they thoeretically will 'do their homework".
If AHk meets (or exceeds) their needs they will tell others.

There are other hotkey programs out there and I wish none of them any ill.
AutoHotkey already has a portion of the 'market share' of the 'industry'.

But the the program name is not the only important aspect, also important is the community.
I and others make a point of saying "welcome" to newbies. And we mean it, welcome.

In contrast, I am thinking of a particular program, that does not have "hotkey" in the name.

If this 'someone' decided to go to that forum they may not decide to stay because of the poor user community. Someone being cursed at by the moderator isn't fun to read, and likely wasn't fun fo the recepient.

LarryC
  • Guests
  • Last active:
wrt Leef_me
You have presented very valid points to keep the AutoHotkey name.

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2015 06:39 AM
AutoHotkey will continue to be the official name for the reasons Leef_me mentioned. AHK will still be used colloquially, which is fine too.

autohotkey.com/net Site Manager

Contact me by email (polyethene at autohotkey.net) or message tidbit