Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Programming for Beginners

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic
fischgeek
  • Moderators
  • 1074 posts
  • Last active: Jul 07 2015 06:27 PM
My little cousin of 12 years wants to get into programming and app devlopment. I told him that he should start out with learning the basics first. Being an AHK fan and plus the fact it was my gateway drug into other languages, I suggested he start with that. I also gave him the link below to start teaching him about the basics in OOP through Java. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggesstions or sites I could toss his way.

<!-- w -->www.programmingbasics.org<!-- w -->

Thanks.

rbrtryn
  • Members
  • 1177 posts
  • Last active: Sep 11 2013 08:04 PM
Any of the Head First books from O'Reilly. These are really good :D I am currently perusing the one on JavaScript.

My Scripts are written for the latest released version of AutoHotkey.

Need a secure, accessible place to backup your stuff? Use Dropbox!

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM
don't go from AHK to JAVA ......Yuck!!! its like going from crawl to mountain climbing
AHK is surely an easy place to start but don't forget to learn logic and design. programming is after all 80% logic and design and 10% application of a a language. and if your going tohead from ahk into something more advanced start with RUBY
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:
I wonder if Microsoft Small Basic would be some use.

Small Basic is a project that is focused at making programming accessible and easy for beginners. It consists of three distinct pieces:
[*:qcijcsvb] The Language
[*:qcijcsvb] The Programming Environment
[*:qcijcsvb] Libraries

TakeNoPrisoners
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Think of it like this. Programming is like building a house. You need to know what a house is first. What one consists of, what materials are required to build one and then you need to get the tools to do the job. Finally you go do the work.

If you're going to program you need several things if you're going to succeed.
The concepts are the most important. without that you are just thrashing around.
An idea for a program you'd like to build.
The choice of a language that is easy to learn, fast to fix, and quick to show results
A good reference for the language you pick
A solid support system where you can get answers to problems you run into
A method that allows you to figure out what to put where in your program (called a programming paradigm)
And copious amounts of patience, determination, thoughtfulness, and attention to detail.

If you're going to pick a language first, be prepared for lots of failures on the way to learning your craft. This is my personal opinion. But then, I'm more of a goal oriented programmer. If you're more exploratory, you can work the list above from bottom to top.

rbrtryn
  • Members
  • 1177 posts
I would stay away from OOP at the beginning. Stick with good solid structured programming in a procedural language like BASIC or AutoHotkey. Only once you have established a solid foundation in those concepts should you move on to OOP.

And copious amounts of patience, determination, thoughtfulness, and attention to detail.

+1

fischgeek
  • Moderators
  • 1074 posts
@rbrtryn
I too love the Head First books. I am currerntly in the C# book. :)

@tank
I will look and see if I can find some beginner sites for him. I know there's a Rubu on rails interactive tutorial out there somewhere. Maybe I'll have him try that. Thanks.

@Lexikos
I will definitely look into that as well for him. Thank you.

@TakeNoPrisoners
Remember, I understand programming. I am looking for 12 year old material that gets more into coding. I can give him a definition of programming like you stated' but he wants to learn code as well. Thanks or the reply.

Thanks everyone!

fischgeek
  • Moderators
  • 1074 posts

I would stay away from OOP at the beginning. Stick with good solid structured programming in a procedural language like BASIC or AutoHotkey. Only once you have established a solid foundation in those concepts should you move on to OOP.

That was my thought exactly. AHK is probably the best option for him.

rbrtryn
  • Members
  • 1177 posts

That was my thought exactly. AHK is probably the best option for him.

I would suggest AHK_L. Not for it's OOP features, but because it has true arrays. Arrays are a standard feature in most other high level languages and he won't have as steep a learning curve if he wants to try a different language.

fischgeek
  • Moderators
  • 1074 posts
That's a good point. However, he's 12. I'm not sure we'll be jumping into arrays just yet. StringSplit will suffice when we get to that point. Thank you all for your input!

0x150--ISO
  • Members
  • 657 posts
  • Last active: Apr 07 2012 09:06 PM
Python is also very straight forward language.
<!-- m -->http://docs.python.org/index.html<!-- m -->

Leef_me
  • Moderators
  • 8510 posts
  • Last active: Sep 10 2015 05:50 AM

That's a good point. However, he's 12. I'm not sure we'll be jumping into arrays just yet. StringSplit will suffice when we get to that point. Thank you all for your input!

Some people comprehend ideas in different ways, for example visually.
I suggest you learn what method works to teach him.

What prompted me to write was that for me the term "arrays" means "rows and rows".
I can see this idea or analogy by going to a local post office with post boxes.

You might try the method of taking him to a post office and letting him "experience" the post office boxes from a "programmer" perspective. Teach him the concept of "next".

Look at barcodes on products. Some canned soups have almost sequential UPC codes.

In essence, show him what order and sequence are.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM
Processing is nice because it has a quick visual feedback. The base of the language is a simplified Java (no classes unless you need them), which can be seen as an advantage (knowledge can be reused, strictness is needed) or not (not always an intuitive language).

On a similar vein, Löve allows to make simple games, written in Lua, running very fast in native mode. Again, with a simple language, one can quickly make visually nice code.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM
I didn't like Love. For a gaming language, it seemed to lack a lot of basic things I have seen in many other game-dev languages.. However, my first 'language' was GameMaker.
It has a "drag and drop" interface for beginners (no coding needed) aswell as a full scripting language suporting2D, 3D and Networking. and apparently they now have iphone+droid+html5 supported versions.
only downside it costs $$ for all the features. the free version is a little watered down, probably good enough for beginners, like I was.

The documentation, atleast last I used it (early 2000's. GM5 and GM6) was pretty good too. The community was pretty... lame, to put it nicely.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

MasterFocus
  • Moderators
  • 4323 posts
  • Last active: Jan 28 2016 01:38 AM
The guys from Stabyourself.net have created some great games with Löve.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antonio França -- git.io -- github.com -- ahk4.net -- sites.google.com -- ahkscript.org

Member of the AHK community since 08/Apr/2009. Moderator since mid-2012.