Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Programming for Beginners

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic
tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM
Yup. many good games have been made in Love. but it's pretty bare-bone. you'll need some good understanding of what to do and how to do it. Instead of simple functions to get the angle between 2 points (or the way an object is facing) you need to do the algebra/geometry stuff yourself, for a lot things.
GameMaker is much more newbie (or kid) friendly. lots of common needed things built in. Just like AHK :D

GM = The AHK of the Game Dev world. With a nice IDE and extras. only issue: the free version is fairly watered down. $40 to get most OS-specific features. $99 for all the $40 stuff + physics. $99 for html5 export. $199 for android or iphone export (pay for each separately).

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM
There is also the range of visual programming languages, like Scratch.
I found it a bit annoying to use for large programs, but for learning purposes, it can be interesting.
The sharing capability is nice too.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

fischgeek
  • Moderators
  • 1074 posts
  • Last active: Jul 07 2015 06:27 PM
Wow, I thought this topic dropped off the radar. I really appreciate some of you really big hitters posting your recommendations. Just exactly why I love this community. Thanks, everyone!

IP00TTTTTT
  • Guests
  • Last active:
i think if you wanna learn programming you should start learning algorithms first. You could start right away learning any programming language.Beginners tutorial for any programming language is not difficult to understand.Also flash adobe acrobat could help to understand beginner concepts of creating objects and instances. you need to understand the terminology very well before you start programming.

Ahk is definitely not something you should start with. The scope of developing any pro app is very limited. Its not a programming language as such. my advice to you is start with java basics. Use netbeans as the IDE since it has inbuilt swing support for creating GUIs. Stick to one language , master it completely. sooner you will realize that programming is like an art. More like some superbike. Its totally upto you at what speed you want to ride it and the stunts that you perform. Or like your guitar. How you play it and what compositions you can come up with makes you different from the others.

girlgamer
  • Moderators
  • 3263 posts
  • Last active: Feb 01 2015 09:49 AM
Everyone has their own favorites for languages. Scripting languages like autohotkey or python or some language with a build and test as you go mentality and a simple regular command structure that you can play with would probably be the best bet. Then study data structures like variables, arrays, files and how to work with them. In other words an interpreted language. Get the basics of what computer programs consist of first. Start with an idea you can really get passionate about and work to put that idea into code and learn the programming foundations needed to do that. A project that you can become passionate about will help your programming effort grow wings. Read, study, play with the code. Tear other people's code apart and see what they did and try to figure out why. And don't forget to keep it fun. If it's not fun you'll drop it sooner rather than later.

The universe is a wondrous place! The faster you create unbreakable code, the faster the universe creates people that can break it. All scripting follows the rule Rule Of Twos -- 1) Good, 2) Fast 3) Cheap -- pick any Two.
I guarantee absolutely nothing about any code I provide except that it works in my machine. ●
MMO Fighter   KeyLooperDemo   Key Spammer   TinyClickRecorder  GGs Password Generator.ahk
For the newest version of AutoHotkey and some killer scripts go here.
Rock-on%20kitten.gif

vackal
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Nov 08 2012 01:20 AM
maybe this will be like out of nowhere but what do you think of c++ as a language for beginners???
just curious because c++ is what im currently trying to learn

girlgamer
  • Moderators
  • 3263 posts
  • Last active: Feb 01 2015 09:49 AM
I hope you have a really really good instructor. C++ is industrial strength stuff. No way would i recommend that for a beginner who has limited knowledge of algorithms and data structures, the basics of loops, arrays, pointers, scalars, structures, single and double linked lists, queues and deques and trees? Trying to learn that all at one shot would not be easy.

let me put it to you this way think of a program as a building like a house, the language as a toolkit with all the tools needed to build one. Then think of all the ways you can model or structure data that the program needs to run, those are the building materials, and the algorithms are the building plans.

As you can see the language is only one piece of what you need. Pick an easy toolkit first and learn how to use the other parts. As you get more experience the language will come more naturally. The first language you learn is always the most difficult. Try to make that one as easy to learn as possible to minimize your learning curve.

The universe is a wondrous place! The faster you create unbreakable code, the faster the universe creates people that can break it. All scripting follows the rule Rule Of Twos -- 1) Good, 2) Fast 3) Cheap -- pick any Two.
I guarantee absolutely nothing about any code I provide except that it works in my machine. ●
MMO Fighter   KeyLooperDemo   Key Spammer   TinyClickRecorder  GGs Password Generator.ahk
For the newest version of AutoHotkey and some killer scripts go here.
Rock-on%20kitten.gif

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM
+1girlgamer datatypes and structure alone leave most beginners in the dust. Nope start with something easy like php/javascript/html. then go after the hard stuff like JAVA and C++. Many people prefer to dive into VB first but I think its way to dis-similar to JAVA and C++ to be a good starting point.

Actually there should be a whole course on algorithms and program structure that doesn't involve writing any code whatsoever. The entire process of properly planning and defining functionality prior to ever writing a single line of code is getting to be a thing of the past.( let me tell you i have seen entire development teams send days troubleshooting and fixing code that just simply didn't account for what if the value expected isn't received.) You must plan and account for every input prior to writing code
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

Wingfat
  • Members
  • 937 posts
  • Last active: Oct 14 2015 04:20 PM
Wiki University has some good tutorials. http://en.wikiversit...rsity:Main_Page
Like Tank and GG said C+(+) or Java would be a good starting point now..
showing my age --> not like BASIC my 1st one and Pascal my 2nd one i was fully inmersed in. http://en.wikipedia....mming_language)
I do find that learning in AHK has helped me a lot with my Java that I do.
----------------------------
Wingfool you fat! I mean, Wingfat you fool!
Line from Woody Allen's movie "What's Up Tiger Lilly?"
-----------------------------

FusionFire
  • Members
  • 153 posts
  • Last active: Jan 24 2016 06:48 AM
As more an Designer/Artist, learning code is not easy. I'm still learning, but I find AHK do be different then JavaScript which I'm learning when I have time, I find it a little spooky, but not entirely frightening.