Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Nexus 7 tablet

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic
dmg
  • Members
  • 2395 posts
  • Last active: Nov 04 2015 06:46 AM
I am considering getting a Nexus 7, but I would like to know more about them. I was wondering if any forum members are planning to get one, and if after they have had it for a while they would be willing to post something of a review and maybe even answer a few questions.

Thanks. 8-)
"My dear Mr Gyrth, I am never more serious than when I am joking."
~Albert Campion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Website | Demo scripts | Blog | External contact

Carcophan
  • Members
  • 1578 posts
  • Last active: Nov 27 2013 06:46 PM
I don't own one yet, but plan on getting one.

Even though I don't have one, I may be able to answer some basic questions, as I've been researching it.

• Guests
  • Last active:
First question: Will it Blend? :D

Carcophan
  • Members
  • 1578 posts
Absolutly. And I await that moment. :)

girlgamer
  • Moderators
  • 3263 posts
  • Last active: Feb 01 2015 09:49 AM
I'm using a kindle fire at the moment but i'm seriously looking at the Nexus.

The universe is a wondrous place! The faster you create unbreakable code, the faster the universe creates people that can break it. All scripting follows the rule Rule Of Twos -- 1) Good, 2) Fast 3) Cheap -- pick any Two.
I guarantee absolutely nothing about any code I provide except that it works in my machine. ●
MMO Fighter   KeyLooperDemo   Key Spammer   TinyClickRecorder  GGs Password Generator.ahk
For the newest version of AutoHotkey and some killer scripts go here.
Rock-on%20kitten.gif

dmg
  • Members
  • 2395 posts

Even though I don't have one, I may be able to answer some basic questions, as I've been researching it.

Thanks! I will try to come up with a few questions and post back in a day or two.

What does:

First question: Will it Blend? :D

mean? I have never used an Android based device before so... :shock:

I'm using a kindle fire at the moment but i'm seriously looking at the Nexus.

Doesn't it look interesting?!

For the last two years I have used a gen 2 iPod Touch as a portable computer/PDA, but it is getting old and is having some minor issues. I am looking to replace it but I hesitate to get another iPod Touch for a couple of reasons. The Nexus 7 looks very promising but since it has not been released yet I obviously can't talk to anyone who has one.

Incidentally, one review of the nexus 7 mentioned a rumor that the next version of the Kindle may be released before the end of the year. He was recommending potential buyers wait and see what the new Kindle will be like before getting the Nexus (he did not seem to like the Nexus much :p ).

Edit:
If anyone is interested, I also posted this on the PortableFreeware.com forum. Here is a link:
<!-- m -->http://www.portablef... ... =1&t=16976<!-- m -->
~Albert Campion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carcophan
  • Members
  • 1578 posts
[quote="dmg"
What does]First question: Will it Blend? :D[/quote]mean? I have never used an Android based device before so... :shock: [/quote]

Will It Blend?!

:!:

or more to the point

dmg
  • Members
  • 2395 posts
O... K... :|

I understand the reference now. Kinda wish I didn't...

Anyway, I came across this article just now and thought it relevant to the discussion:
<!-- m -->http://finance.yahoo... ... 00780.html<!-- m -->
~Albert Campion

codybear
  • Members
  • 600 posts
  • Last active: Feb 09 2015 12:41 PM
xda-developers forum probably has a bunch of stuff on it(dunno though, haven't researched it myself). Otherwise I'd suggest androidforums.com (i believe that's what it is..it's been a while).
Other than those suggestions, I give no value and this is meant as a reminder/subscription post so I can keep up to date with everything until I have time to research the device myself.
Disclaimer: I'm not an expert by any means; I just try to help out where I can.

dmg
  • Members
  • 2395 posts
OK, Carcophan. You said you may be able to answer a few question about the Nexus 7, so here are a couple to start with:

1. I know that the Nexus 7 forces portrait view for its 'home' screens, but does it also force third party apps to stay in portrait mode? I am particularly concerned with the browser (Chrome), does it not have the ability to work in landscape view?

2. I know it is a Google device and so is heavily branded by them, but Does the device REQUIRE a Google account to function, as in “I do not have one so my Nexus 7 is an expensive paperweight”? Or can it work as a simple internet enabled tablet even if no Google account is currently signed into? (I actually do have a Google account but I have not used it much due primarily to privacy concerns.)

Thanks in advance for your answers. 8-)
~Albert Campion

Carcophan
  • Members
  • 1578 posts

1. I know that the Nexus 7 forces portrait view for its 'home' screens, but does it also force third party apps to stay in portrait mode? I am particularly concerned with the browser (Chrome), does it not have the ability to work in landscape view?

The home screen is in fact forced into portrait, like most (all?) Android phones. However, most apps load to landscape mode by default. I think it really depends on the app. Angry Birds for example, always landscape with no portrait option... Cut The Rope, is portrait only, no landscape.

I would be beyond amazed, and entirely disappointed, if the browser did not work in landscape. I've seen screenshot of Chrome Browser in landscape, but cannot confirm through experience.

2. I know it is a Google device and so is heavily branded by them, but Does the device REQUIRE a Google account to function, as in “I do not have one so my Nexus 7 is an expensive paperweight”? Or can it work as a simple internet enabled tablet even if no Google account is currently signed into? (I actually do have a Google account but I have not used it much due primarily to privacy concerns.)

Google is basically taking a loss on selling these (maybe not technically from the hardware, but advertising and subsidies etc). They want more than anything for you to BUY content for the device through the Play store (googles app store). That said... everything i'v ever read included 'setting it up' with your gmail account, though i'v also NOT seen anything saying this is a requirement. My money is that this is a requirement. Like Microsoft and MSLive accounts.

Worst comes to worst, make a gmail that you never actually use, but is for the Nexus 7. (gmail isnt that bad anyway.)

dmg
  • Members
  • 2395 posts

I would be beyond amazed, and entirely disappointed, if the browser did not work in landscape. I've seen screenshot of Chrome Browser in landscape, but cannot confirm through experience.

I agree, it would not make sense to prevent the browser from working in Landscape view. I found this review which has a photo showing what looks like the browser in landscape view, but if you look close it also shows the system controls are in landscape mode:
<!-- m -->http://www.talkandro... ... 99-tablet/<!-- m -->
That particular picture might be of a modified device, one which is set to allow landscape.

I wonder if I could get a message to one of the many reviewers to ask about this issue. :?

Edit:
This review seems to indicate it can take around 7 hours to fully charge!
<!-- m -->http://pocketnow.com...nexus-7-review/<!-- m -->
If true that would be ridiculous. That sets the charge time at roughly equal to the use time. :shock: I am hoping this is an anomaly, but it seems a few other reviewers mention similar charging times. One indicates an hour of charging provides a 10 to 15% charge increase.
~Albert Campion

dmg
  • Members
  • 2395 posts
I have three more questions:

1. It seems the micro USB port can be used to charge it through the included wall adapter or by plugging into another device, though charging in general sounds buggy. My question is, can the micro USB port be used to transfer files to and from the Nexus when plugged into a Windows PC? This is hinted at in a couple of articles but never explicitly stated.

2. Can the Nexus access a shared drive, folder or partition over a network for streaming files and media (particularly a Windows drive)? It would be nice to have a network drive set up to keep files on so they don't have to be stored on the device.

3. And while the specs indicate built in Bluetooth for use with an ear piece, none of the reviews I have seen test this feature. And they certainly don't comment on whether the Bluetooth can be used for more than sound.

Oh, the questions, the questions! :)
~Albert Campion

Carcophan
  • Members
  • 1578 posts

1. It seems the micro USB port can be used to charge it through the included wall adapter or by plugging into another device, though charging in general sounds buggy. My question is, can the micro USB port be used to transfer files to and from the Nexus when plugged into a Windows PC? This is hinted at in a couple of articles but never explicitly stated.

Wall charging is different than charging via usb through a pc. I've always found that via PC is much slower than wall, so I don't know which the reviewer used, but that could be a factor. All large devices have long recharge times. Apple even recently admitted that the numbers that represent the charge value are faked to boost consumers feelings towards the recharge process.

The Nexus 7 should operate much like an Android phone. In this case, I can use M-USB to drag and drop content from my hard drive to my phone. This is 10million times faster than downloading 1 by 1 or via blue tooth. This data connection is also why the power recharging is slower while hooked to pc.

2. Can the Nexus access a shared drive, folder or partition over a network for streaming files and media (particularly a Windows drive)? It would be nice to have a network drive set up to keep files on so they don't have to be stored on the device.

This sort of defeats the purpose of 'the cloud' everyone is so hotly developing. The device has a good amount of storage, but there is something called 'Google Drive' which I am using more and more. G Drive is literally a folder on my desktop... i drag/drop anything i want into it and it uploads it to the Google servers. i can access that content (almost immediately in most cases) from my phone or any other device that has Google drive and stream the song/movie. it is rather fun. I have all of my music.

So i imagine any content you have on this shared drive and be put into the google drive in some way. Failing that, in most cases, any device that is in a workstation will have access to the file system and network. which is why most companies frown on you plugging things in at work.

3. And while the specs indicate built in Bluetooth for use with an ear piece, none of the reviews I have seen test this feature. And they certainly don't comment on whether the Bluetooth can be used for more than sound.

Bluetooth is bluetooth. They follow a standard and transmit in a particular bandwidth/frequency. it is typically up to the individual ear piece to determine quality, though exceptions apply to this. Since bluetooth is bluetooth, and the Nexus 7 (and all tablets really) are just glorified cell phones, i would have to assume that you can use the blue tooth however it is usable. why take 5 steps back when introducing your new flagship device? This functionality exists in most devices today, your iPhone dear can control a remote control helecopter, I'd set my Nexus 7 on fire if it couldn't do the same. 8-)

Carcophan
  • Members
  • 1578 posts
I guess if I can speak for Google or the developers of the tablet, that it was designed for those who love google and embrace all of the tools and services they offer. While still also being accessible and desirable to those who have zero google accounts.

The same way with the iPad being designed around iTunes in the begining.