Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Nexus 7 tablet

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic
dmg
  • Members
  • 2395 posts
  • Last active: Nov 04 2015 06:46 AM

The Nexus 7 should operate much like an Android phone. In this case, I can use M-USB to drag and drop content from my hard drive to my phone. This is 10million times faster than downloading 1 by 1 or via blue tooth. This data connection is also why the power recharging is slower while hooked to pc.

So, that is a tentative yes to transferring files by USB?

So i imagine any content you have on this shared drive and be put into the google drive in some way. Failing that, in most cases, any device that is in a workstation will have access to the file system and network. which is why most companies frown on you plugging things in at work.

Sorry to be obtuse, but does this mean yay or nay on accessing drives over a network?

Yet another question:
The thin silver 'frame' around the bezel, is it actually made of metal, or is it plastic as one reviewer claims?

Sorry to be so much trouble. I really have no experience with all this and tend to be a bit obsessive sometimes. :)

Thank you again for trying to answer my questions. If there are any you just aren't sure about feel free to put them off till you actually have a device to examine.
"My dear Mr Gyrth, I am never more serious than when I am joking."
~Albert Campion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Website | Demo scripts | Blog | External contact

dmg
  • Members
  • 2395 posts
This review is VERY extensive and well written:
<!-- m -->http://arstechnica.c... ... 00-tablet/<!-- m -->
One issue it mentions at the end of page two is that there is a minor problem with image ghosting/burn in. This is the only article I have seen that mentions this.
~Albert Campion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fragman
  • Members
  • 1591 posts
  • Last active: Nov 12 2012 08:51 PM
Of course you can access files from the network. Just use a file explorer that supports it. This goes for any Android device.

reigouki
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Jul 20 2012 07:19 PM
Hi, excuse the intrusion. Google found this thread while I was looking for something else, but I'd thought I'd chime in seeing such nice people posting.

1. I know that the Nexus 7 forces portrait view for its 'home' screens, but does it also force third party apps to stay in portrait mode? I am particularly concerned with the browser (Chrome), does it not have the ability to work in landscape view?

Chrome will function in landscape. The auto-rotate is initially locked, but the icon to unlock is conveniently located in the top-middle of the notification drop down.

2. I know it is a Google device and so is heavily branded by them, but Does the device REQUIRE a Google account to function, as in “I do not have one so my Nexus 7 is an expensive paperweight”? Or can it work as a simple internet enabled tablet even if no Google account is currently signed into? (I actually do have a Google account but I have not used it much due primarily to privacy concerns.

I managed to get to the home screen accidentally without putting in a valid Google account. I was in a bit of a hurry, but managed to tap on something which promptly complained that I needed a valid Google account for it to function. That said, I don't think Chrome actually needs one to run, but does use one to at least share tabs, bookmarks, and other little things via a subset of their cloud, which would be what will stop you from using it without a Google account if it ties into the core function a little tightly. If you are able to get apps/apk files on another computer and port it in via microUSB, you should be able to get some better functionality out of the Nexus 7. You'd have to go into settings and allow installation from non-Google Play locations in order to run the apk files (essentially what the Apple people call "jailbreaking", just it's a tick box on 'droids)

On a side note, Google wrote the Android OS. The services preinstalled on it are typically also on other, non-Nexus products, though the manufacturers usually have variants that show up more prominently the designed specifically for their product. It technically has the least amount of bloatware as a result of the "purity" of the Android OS.

1. It seems the micro USB port can be used to charge it through the included wall adapter or by plugging into another device, though charging in general sounds buggy. My question is, can the micro USB port be used to transfer files to and from the Nexus when plugged into a Windows PC? This is hinted at in a couple of articles but never explicitly stated.

I have yet to try with the Nexus 7 (and have little reason to which I'll point out later), but have done so with my Samsung Galaxy S2. It should be noted that I plugged it into an XP computer and that I installed Samsung Kies beforehand, which took care of all the drivers so cannot attest to whether Windows will have any issues with getting drivers.

And yes charging via a USB port for data is gimped. The last time I looked, the power supplied was 300mA for the first gen, then they upped it to 500mA. I think I remember some years back, Toshiba promoted/sold a laptop that had one of its USB ports modified to output 700mA or higher to better charge your device. Also read recently somewhere that a modern smartphone will not charge while plugged into a computer's USB port unless it was in sleep mode. Anyway, the few devices I do have, their power adaptors with the USB port on the back that you plug into the mains outputs 2A, or 2000mA, to charge the devices.

2. Can the Nexus access a shared drive, folder or partition over a network for streaming files and media (particularly a Windows drive)? It would be nice to have a network drive set up to keep files on so they don't have to be stored on the device.

Yes. But to do so involves installing an app. I just noticed there doesn't appear to be a preinstalled file browser on it, but as I favoured one on Google Play on my other 'droids, I just installed that one without a second thought. It's ES File Explorer. You can access computers on the same network by tapping the button "Local" in the corner and selecting "LAN" then either put in the details of the drive/folder you've setup or (and it's news to me as I started using it before it had this ability) tell it to scan for shared folders on the network. You can further bookmark them so you needn't scan for it every time you restart the file browser.

I've yet to try, but on my other 'droids, streaming video was not well supported natively, stuttering very badly, so I ran MX Player using the Software Decoder setting to stream videos, which it does quite well. I'm half testing another streaming player on the rise called MoboPlayer which seems to do just as well. Only difference, as far as I can tell is MX streams (low bandwidth usage), while Mobo downloads it (high bandwidth usage), playing and deleting as it goes.

EDIT: typos

dmg
  • Members
  • 2395 posts
Wow, thanks reigouki! As you figure things out feel free to post back with your observations. I would be very interested. :D

I have been finding references to several minor hardware issues. Two reviewers mention what sounds to me like defective batteries, one says they observed some screen "burn in" (where if an image was stationary for a few minutes it would leave an after image on the screen for a while), and there are several reports of units with screens that start to pop off (probably because screws were not properly tightened at the factory).

I am still thinking about Getting a Nexus 7 but I am at least waiting for some of these issues to be ironed out first. :?
~Albert Campion

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2015 06:39 AM
My friend is very proud of his Nexus 7 but I still prefer my ipad.

autohotkey.com/net Site Manager

Contact me by email (polyethene at autohotkey.net) or message tidbit

dmg
  • Members
  • 2395 posts
Now there are reports of backlight 'leakage':
<!-- m -->http://pocketnow.com... ... ing-issues<!-- m -->
And touch screen malfunction:
<!-- m -->http://www.pocketabl... ... oblem.html<!-- m -->
:shock: :? :cry:

I may wait and see what the "iPad Mini" looks like in a few months. By then Google may have worked the bugs out of the Nexus 7 too.
~Albert Campion

Carcophan
  • Members
  • 1578 posts
  • Last active: Nov 27 2013 06:46 PM

Now there are reports of backlight 'leakage':
<!-- m -->http://pocketnow.com... ... ing-issues<!-- m -->
And touch screen malfunction:
<!-- m -->http://www.pocketabl... ... oblem.html<!-- m -->
:shock: :? :cry:

I may wait and see what the "iPad Mini" looks like in a few months. By then Google may have worked the bugs out of the Nexus 7 too.

I was just about to post this :(
http://www.tomsguide...news-15966.html

Sadface. Hope factory_run_2 is a little better

TheDewd
  • Members
  • 842 posts
  • Last active: Jun 10 2016 06:55 PM
I currently own a rooted Kindle Fire, running the Ice Cream Sandwich Android OS. I'm tempted to buy the 16GB version of the new Nexus 7 tablet due to it's more powerful hardware, and extras (camera, USB storage (once rooted), front-facing camera, Bluetooth, etc.).

I've read a lot of articles online about flaws in the Nexus 7's design -- loose screens, ghosting images, etc. I don't want to regret the decision.

dmg
  • Members
  • 2395 posts
@TheDewd:
I suggest you do as Carcophan and I are doing and wait a while for Google to iron out the kinks. From what I have read most if not all of these issues are the result of poor manufacturing oversight, not poor design. The design and hardware are sound, and given some time Google should be able to minimize the current problems.

And Apple is supposed to be releasing several new devices this fall, including the 'iPad mini', so you will also have more choices if you wait a while. Just a thought. :)
~Albert Campion

TheDewd
  • Members
  • 842 posts

@TheDewd:
I suggest you do as Carcophan and I are doing and wait a while for Google to iron out the kinks. From what I have read most if not all of these issues are the result of poor manufacturing oversight, not poor design. The design and hardware are sound, and given some time Google should be able to minimize the current problems.

And Apple is supposed to be releasing several new devices this fall, including the 'iPad mini', so you will also have more choices if you wait a while. Just a thought. :)

I would rather have the Nexus 7 instead of the Apple products due to the fact that I'm am Android fanboy. ;-)

Do you really think that Google is going to have the issues fixed? Has there been an official announcement yet? That would be great news if true. I'm definitely going to wait a while because there's just too many issues right now. Screen Separation, Ghosting image effect, Charging problem, Touch Detection horrible when hot (gaming, etc.), Dead Microphone...

dmg
  • Members
  • 2395 posts

Do you really think that Google is going to have the issues fixed? Has there been an official announcement yet? That would be great news if true. I'm definitely going to wait a while because there's just too many issues right now. Screen Separation, Ghosting image effect, Charging problem, Touch Detection horrible when hot (gaming, etc.), Dead Microphone...

No official announcement yet that I am aware of, but they will certainly be working to improve production values. Google is not a fly by night company. They intend to make money with the Nexus 7 but they can only do that if people WANT to buy and use them. This was the initial release of a new product, and some problems were inevitable. Besides, while the number of issues may be alarming, I think it likely that only a small percentage of units are having trouble.

Give them a few months to smooth out production and release some software updates. It just makes sense. 8-)
~Albert Campion

• Guests
  • Last active:
Most important question for me:
Does ahk work on the nexus? - Since it's a mini laptop i believe programs can be installed, right?

TheDewd
  • Members
  • 842 posts

Does ahk work on the nexus? - Since it's a mini laptop i believe programs can be installed, right?

The new Nexus 7 is Google's first tablet, utilizing a 7-inch screen, a Tegra 3 quad-core processor running on the latest Android Jelly Bean OS. AHK will not run on an Android tablet, and even if it did there would be no use without Android specific actions to perform.

• Guests
  • Last active:

The new Nexus 7 is Google's first tablet, utilizing a 7-inch screen, a Tegra 3 quad-core processor running on the latest Android Jelly Bean OS. AHK will not run on an Android tablet, and even if it did there would be no use without Android specific actions to perform.

So it just for watching and reading media and using google's apps..?

What about other tablets, I am looking for a little replacement for my PCs because working with a little smaller advice than a PC is more comfortable and you can add,remove,modify your projects easier.