Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

AutoHotkey_L v1.1.08

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic
amnesiac
  • Members
  • 124 posts
  • Last active: May 01 2014 03:04 AM
Should "Script File Codepage" section in the help be updated?

Click to download Chinese resource for AutoHotkey.

Recommended: AutoHotkey_L My code is based on it or similar versions, e.g. AutoHotkey_H.
Together with AutoHotkey, we grow and march forward. No matter how the future will be, this period of days is still epic.

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
  • Last active: Nov 19 2015 11:58 AM
very nice looking installer.. is the source for that available too?

i do agree that those top two buttons should NOT have arrows, very misleading. i too was expecting more options. same for the "standard installation", "repair", and "uninstall" buttons. the arrows lead one to believe that there is more to choose before the final changes are written to disk.

theres another visual bug on the first page, the middle button (upgrade to 1.18 x64) changes width when the mouse is hovered over it, or when the mouse is hovered over the third button. the top button seems to have no effect on it

JSLover
  • Members
  • 920 posts
  • Last active: Nov 02 2012 09:54 PM

is the source for that available too?

...I thought the answer was gonna be simple, but then...

AutoHotkey_L has a brand new installer, written in AutoHotkey.

...then why does ResHacker say there's no source in it?...RCDATA\>AUTOHOTKEY SCRIPT< is not present in AutoHotkey_L_Install.exe

Is the source to the installer buried somewhere on GitHub?...but also, as above, why is the source not in the resulting installer file? (if it's, indeed, "written in AutoHotkey", the source should be there, right?)
Useful forum links: New content since: Last visitPast weekPast 2 weeks (links will show YOUR posts, not mine)

OMFG, the AutoHotkey forum is IP.board now (yuck!)...I may not be able to continue coming here (& I love AutoHotkey)...I liked phpBB, but not this...ugh...

Note...
I may not reply to any topics (specifically ones I was previously involved in), mostly cuz I can't find the ones I replied to, to continue helping, but also just cuz I can't stand the new forum...phpBB was soo perfect. This is 100% the opposite of "perfect".

I also semi-plan to start my own, phpBB-based AutoHotkey forum (or take over the old one, if he'll let me)
PM me if you're interested in a new phpBB-based forum (I need to know if anyone would use it)
How (or why) did they create the Neil Armstrong memorial site (neilarmstronginfo.com) BEFORE he died?

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts
  • Last active:

Do you have a suggestion for eliminating this confusion? Simply remove the arrows?

That would probably be the easiest way to fix it. Also (if I may), using "Repair," "Modify" and "Uninstall" may better resemble Windows options, but they're not overly descriptive to an unfamiliar user. Perhaps with the extra button space you could add some additional descriptors?

If it says the file was in use, the file was in use.

But wouldn't I have been prevented from renaming it if it was in use?

Anyway, I decided to uninstall and attempt to replicate the problem; should there still be residual exes left over after uninstallation? I found AutoHotkey.exe and AutoHotkeyU64.exe were left in my 64-bit directory after uninstalling.

I've been unable to replicate my previous error but am now receiving a new error:

Error installing file "AutoHotkey.exe"

Specifically: Access is denied.

Click Abort to stop the installation,
Retry to try again, or
Ignore to skip this file.

This error has occurred for both AutoHotkey.exe and AutoHotkeyU64.exe, although it typically resolves itself after a few retries.

I had forgotten to mention previously that when these error messages occur and I choose to Abort the installer GUI still remains running instead of closing.

What would you do that for?

I figured the best way to test the new installer would be to use it exactly how I used the old installer.

• Guests
  • Last active:

very nice looking installer.. is the source for that available too?

Yes it is called Installer.ahk and installed in your AutoHotkey folder. First place I'd look

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:
[VxE]: Thanks, I assumed the ShellNew folder would always exist. I believe it does on Vista and later, as it seems to contain a Windows Journal file by default.

amnesiac: Script File Codepage was updated about two months ago in preparation for this release, and should be accurate. See commit 576bd21.

guest3456: The button changing width appears to be a side-effect of using the :hover or :active CSS pseudo-class to change the border-color. There is no way that should happen, but it does, and I haven't tried working around it yet.

JSLover: The install.exe is a 7-zip self-extracting archive containing the installation files. It also includes a compiled version of Installer.ahk (setup.exe), which is simply there to be run by the self-extractor.

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:

That would probably be the easiest way to fix it.

I think it looks odd with nothing there, but since I won't be looking at it often I can live with that.

Also (if I may), using "Repair," "Modify" and "Uninstall" may better resemble Windows options, but they're not overly descriptive to an unfamiliar user.

What more do they need to say?

But wouldn't I have been prevented from renaming it if it was in use?

No - files which are in use can generally be renamed but not moved or deleted. Update.ahk currently relies on this.

should there still be residual exes left over after uninstallation?

No, but it does not detect when FileDelete fails. I think this is consistent with the old NSIS-based uninstaller, which would "set the error flag" but do nothing about it. However, the old uninstaller shows a message if the AutoHotkey folder still exists at the end. (That isn't feasible with the method I am currently using to self-delete AutoHotkey.exe.)

I had forgotten to mention previously that when these error messages occur and I choose to Abort the installer GUI still remains running instead of closing.

That was intentional, but I don't remember the reason for it. I will change it to ExitApp.

I figured the best way to test the new installer would be to use it exactly how I used the old installer.

That doesn't really answer my question, but TBH I don't really care. I see no reason for the problems you are having. The new installer should work just as well or as poorly as the old installer in your situation. Neither installer is really designed to do what you want, since by nature, AutoHotkey installations are mutually-exclusive.

If you merely need each flavour of AutoHotkey.exe, the new installer gives you all of the AutoHotkey_L binaries in a single installation. You get nothing more by installing in multiple directories.

Perhaps you can try reproducing the problems you're having with a simple FileCopy script, since that's pretty much all the installer does.

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:
Installer updated:
Remove >> marker from some buttons to avoid confusion
Tweak CSS to fix weird button-width-on-hover bug
Create %A_WinDir%\ShellNew if it doesn't exist
Always ExitApp on Abort
Add SetRegView to command index and AHKL_Features

amnesiac
  • Members
  • 124 posts

Source files for compiled scripts must be encoded as UTF-8 or contain only ASCII characters.

Many beginners are confused for compiling scripts. They often ask why a compiled script doesn't behave correctly while its origin counterpart works. Can you update Ahk2Exe to support other encodings so that it would behave like current AutoHotkey.exe?

Recommended: AutoHotkey_L My code is based on it or similar versions, e.g. AutoHotkey_H.
Together with AutoHotkey, we grow and march forward. No matter how the future will be, this period of days is still epic.

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
  • Last active: Nov 19 2015 11:58 AM

Source files for compiled scripts must be encoded as UTF-8 or contain only ASCII characters.

Many beginners are confused for compiling scripts. They often ask why a compiled script doesn't behave correctly while its origin counterpart works. Can you update Ahk2Exe to support other encodings so that it behaves like current AutoHotkey.exe?

actually I'm confused as well... so when running an .ahk file directly, the .ahk has to be encoded as ANSI, but when compiling, you have to first change the encoding to UTF8?

fincs
  • Moderators
  • 1662 posts
  • Last active:

Can you update Ahk2Exe to support other encodings so that it behaves like current AutoHotkey.exe?

That bit of information has not been updated apparently. Latest Ahk2Exe accepts ANSI text by default. Also, I've been in charge of the compiler for a while now :)

EDIT: pull request.

jmt
  • Guests
  • Last active:
If AutoHotkey.exe or AutoHotkey folder is renamed or does not exist the installer assume that current type is ANSI. The Custom Installation could be the only offered option if AutoHotkey.exe does not exist (or if its version number differ from the last installed version) so that type, compiler and other options are selected correctly. Maybe the installed type could be get from the registry in these cases.

amnesiac
  • Members
  • 124 posts

Can you update Ahk2Exe to support other encodings so that it behaves like current AutoHotkey.exe?

That bit of information has not been updated apparently. Latest Ahk2Exe accepts ANSI text by default. Also, I've been in charge of the compiler for a while now :)...

Thank you very much for your work.

To Lexikos:
The new installer is good and impress me. Will you add a new option for other language's help (maybe just a link) to it later so that those users could click their link to download?

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:
<!-- m -->http://l.autohotkey....toHotkey_Lw.zip<!-- m --> does not work for me.

Error 404
The page or resource you requested does not exist.

If you followed a link from the forums, please notify whoever posted the link.

Lexikos can be reached via the AutoHotkey forums.

• Guests
  • Last active:

http://l.autohotkey.net/AutoHotkey_Lw.zip does not work for me.

AutoHotkey.net seems to have some problems <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.autohotkey.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=89124">viewtopic.php?f=5&t=89124</a><!-- l -->