Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

What version of Windows will you use in 2014

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Windows version (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Windows OS do you plan to use in 2014?

1. Win XP (4 votes [9.76%])

Percentage of vote: 9.76%

2. Vista (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Win 7 (28 votes [68.29%])

Percentage of vote: 68.29%

4. Win 8 (6 votes [14.63%])

Percentage of vote: 14.63%

5. I've had it with Windows and will use something else (3 votes [7.32%])

Percentage of vote: 7.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote
joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: Nov 02 2019 08:38 PM

wow, ... now thats what you call a Beast... :p

Why ahkscript.org? - autohotkey.com is outdated

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
  • Last active: Nov 19 2015 11:58 AM

please change my vote from Win7 to Win8 if its not already set

Took me a couple hours to adjust to Win 8 but it's a lot nicer than 7.

^^ same for me, i just upgraded and Win 8 is very well done. the new Start screen Metro interface is not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. and the people complaining are those who havent even tried it. i actually like it. its much preferable to look at a full screen app, its easier on the eyes. if you've used a smartphone at all the interface is just easy and intuitive. 

From my own experiences, Win8 provides many power user benefits to Win7; including increased performance (RAM usage was cut down to nearly half)

same for me

hybrid shutdown (which makes the startup process WAY quicker)

Windows 8 boots up in less than 5 seconds from power button to desktop. its amazing.

the power user menu (right click on bottom left corner and you'll see regedit, msconfig, disk management and many others)

shortcut: WinKey + X
i end up using this shortcut as a replacement for the Start Menu

I found the new Start Screen easy to get used to and familiar (and this is coming from somebody who used to be scared of it)

Start button is gone, but what did you actually use the Start button for? in Win7, it was such a hassle to try to navigate thru the Start Menu to find a program, that you ended up just searching in the box. well in Win 8, you can Search just the same.

heres a few more tips:

- to close an 'app' from the Metro interface, just grab it at the top of the screen (click drag) and drop it at the bottom of the screen

- quick way to shutdown is to press Alt + F4 on the desktop

None
  • Members
  • 3199 posts
  • Last active: Nov 05 2015 09:55 PM

My opinion is that the the start menu of Windows 8 Is great for a handheld touch screen computer like the Smartphones it is based off.

A desktop computer is not a Smartphone however and being forced to use two square inch buttons when using a mouse that can be easily piloted to 1/16 of a square inch is a waste of space.

I also Hate the new driver signing enforcement, before you got a warning and could do it anyway now the computer just says NO, unless you go through a ten step procedure that takes a few minutes and involves rebooting the computer to be allowed to use your driver.

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts

My opinion is that the the start menu of Windows 8 Is great for a handheld touch screen computer like the Smartphones it is based off.
A desktop computer is not a Smartphone however and being forced to use two square inch buttons when using a mouse that can be easily piloted to 1/16 of a square inch is a waste of space.

so 'pin' your favorite programs to the desktop taskbar and you have the same thing.

you are not forced to use the Start Screen at all. there is a big ****ing 'Desktop' button to get you out

None
  • Members
  • 3199 posts
  • Last active: Nov 05 2015 09:55 PM

If you pin more than a half dozen programs you'll use much of the bar and you can have hundreds in a windows 7 or XP Start menu without any clutter and I don't find it a hassle to use.

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
if you have hundreds of start menu programs, its certainly faster to just type in the name of the program into the search box at the bottom of the windows 7 start menu

anyway w/e use what you want