Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Does coding improve one's formal logic?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic
derRaphael
  • Members
  • 872 posts
  • Last active: Mar 19 2013 04:42 PM

"Since all cats are mammals, and all mammals feed their babies with milk, I think cats are also mammals"

Oh boy. This is no good. No good at all. It's neither an example for conscious thinking, nor a sample for logical thinking. I bet you meant to deduce that cats feed their babies with milk, this what you'd call logic is a formal logic.

However, your question has been answered several times by different authors. They all agreed, that under certain conditions and with the proper tasks, programming will make you think more logical in general and especially better in formal logic thinking.

The ongoing debate about what logic actually is, and where one may find samples for logic of all kind of (sub|un)consciouss thinking, is part from a huge other debate. Many subjects of that issue, consciousness, subconsciousness, free will, arts, logics and so on are actually subjects which dont have a proper definition. Despite the fact that wiki may explain all terms i have mentioned here, this doesnt automatically mean, that the debate in general (not ours here) is over yet. Neither modern psychology, classic psychology nor philosophy of mind and affected schools thereof (like philosophy of cognition) have statements on any of these topics.

You described the mentioned pieces from Lennon and Yoko as "their music aswell as their art" - in this particular case, i'd say it was rather art than music.

All scripts, unless otherwise noted, are hereby released under CC-BY

Benny-D
  • Members
  • 1485 posts
  • Last active: Sep 27 2016 11:23 PM

Oh
boy. This is no good. No good at all. It's neither an example for
conscious thinking, nor a sample for logical thinking. I bet you meant
to deduce that cats feed their babies with milk, this what you'd call logic is a formal logic.

- You must've not gotten my point there. This example of a person who is making a

typical mistake in logic was deliberately chosen to show that he is aware of the pattern

he is consciously trying to apply, albeit he is not good at that yet, hence his mistake.

Why do you call it "not an example of conscious thinking"? He is conscious of the logical

deduction pattern he is trying to follow, however, he is not yet conscious about what kind

of mistake he is committing here. Once somebody points out this mistake to him and he

understands it - in other words, becomes conscious of what was right and what was wrong

in his deduction - he automatically becomes a bit better at logical thinking. So, in fact, it is

all about how many things pertaining to logic he is conscious about. The more such things

he has understood and consciously realized, the better he is at performing those things

in the future. So, it only supports my position, in which I insist that logical thinking, or better,

correct logical thinking, unlike in case with the arts (music included), has a great deal to do

with conscious thinking, i.e. being conscious about what and how you are thinking.     

Benny-D
  • Members
  • 1485 posts

"However, your question has been answered several times by different authors. They all

agreed, that under certain conditions and with the proper tasks, programming will make

you think more logical in general and especially better in formal logic thinking"

- Yes, and I am very thankful to all who have answered. It is just that some further

statements that have been made here kind of got me confused. I yet have one more

statement to address. I'll do it later.

derRaphael
  • Members
  • 872 posts

I'm silly. I mistook that sample as one of you own, not from 3rd person. Nontheless this as it has been pointed out earlier is called formal logic. It just a part of the entire subject logic, not THE ONE AND ONLY logic itself. As many stated here logic conclusions dont neccessary rely on conscious formulating a line of arguments.

Benny-D
  • Members
  • 1485 posts

"Nontheless this as it has been pointed out earlier is called formal logic. It just a

part of the entire subject logic, not THE ONE AND ONLY logic itself.

- Yes, and this is, in fact, something that I have learned in this thread.

When I was starting it, I knew nothing about the broader meaning of this word.

Benny-D
  • Members
  • 1485 posts

By the way, given this new insight (well, to me it was an insight) that I meant

solely formal logic in my original question for this thread, can anyone,

please, help me re-phrase its title now?

"Does writing more code make a person better at formal logical thinking?" sounds

kind of awkward to me.

None
  • Members
  • 3199 posts
  • Last active: Nov 05 2015 09:55 PM

You might want to read about Deductive and Inductive reasoning they are just about opposits.

http://en.wikipedia....ctive_reasoning

http://en.wikipedia....ctive_reasoning

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
  • Last active: Nov 19 2015 11:58 AM

- But my original question here was not about the existence of logic that
"underlies many things". Please read the title of this thread again:

"Does writing more code make a person better at logical thinking?"

If in my question I had been asking merely about that logic that underlies any
one's thinking, then my whole question would have been quite nonsensical
as the logic that you are talking about always underlies people's thinking and
it can't do it better or worse, it simply does it.

then what the hell are you talking about arts for? arts have no point in this discussion based on your topic question.

the issue here is that you want to make a point about how profound your artistry is and how its somehow better than logic. no one here is trying to claim the opposite but you've seemed to take offense and launch into 2+ pages offtopic of your own thread. thats not very logical.

but i guess thats what you "artists" do

Benny-D
  • Members
  • 1485 posts

then what the hell are you talking about arts for? arts have no point in this

discussion based on your topic question

- Please re-read this thread, at least the first page, and you will see

that the talk about arts was not started by me. One of the supporters,

toward whom I really have a lot of respect, in his answer used musicians

as an example, and I was a bit puzzled by that as I've always considered

musicians and artists to be from another world, so to say, having nothing

to do with what I meant here by "logical thinking". So, because I was

confused by that example, I asked that  supporter to explain that to me

(and by now I have already received some explanations). Did I not have

the right to do that?

Benny-D
  • Members
  • 1485 posts

the issue here is that you want to make a point about how profound

your artistry is and how its somehow better than logic.

- Not at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where did you get that?!!!!!!!!!!!!

My artistry is quite pathetic. As far as artistry is concerned, I only used to

be a musician, but not anymore. I have some experience in composing

music and I've never painted pictures. Besides, I've always loved and

appreciated logic - well, formal logic, I should say (see my recent talk to

derRaphael who clarified this to me) - and rest assured that I love logic

more than arts - otherwise I would've not opened this thread.

You are putting wrongful accusations on me. Please read

the whole thread.

derRaphael
  • Members
  • 872 posts

By the way, given this new insight (well, to me it was an insight) that I meant

solely formal logic in my original question for this thread, can anyone,

please, help me re-phrase its title now?

"Does writing more code make a person better at formal logical thinking?" sounds

kind of awkward to me.

Try with "Does coding improve one's way of thinking logically from A to B?" or "Does coding improve one's formal logic?"

then what the hell are you talking about arts for? arts have no point in this discussion based on your topic question.

Aside from the fact that this has been addressed by yourself, too, guest3456, stop trolling.

Benny-D
  • Members
  • 1485 posts

Try with "Does coding improve one's way of thinking logically from A to B?" or "Does coding improve one's formal logic?"

- I liked the second one. Just edited. Thanks.

derRaphael
  • Members
  • 872 posts

Programming (aka coding) may be compared to chess, which has numerous possible constellations and therefore requires you to think about at least a few moves ahead and its possible reactions while playing. This helps improving your formal thinking. 

Scripting (also known as coding), which - in this case - i understand more in a way of writing batch jobs, can be compared to solve sudokus. They help to a certain degree to think in formal logic terms, as most sudokus dont have a variety of possible solutions, but only one. As a consequence, solving sudokus, will help you improving in solving sudokus, but will hardly help you in improving formal logic beyond a certain degree.

The both of them help to train formal logical thinking. 

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
  • Last active: Nov 19 2015 11:58 AM

You are putting wrongful accusations on me. Please read
the whole thread.

if i have indeed wrongfully accused you, then my apologies. ive been a little stressed lately.

Benny-D
  • Members
  • 1485 posts

No problem at all and no hard feelings.