Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

What is happening with this site?

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

Poll: What is happening with this site? (81 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Poly get another person on board

1. Yes (80 votes [98.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 98.77%

2. No (1 votes [1.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.23%

Vote Guests cannot vote
rbrtryn
  • Members
  • 1177 posts
  • Last active: Sep 11 2013 08:04 PM

Ah ok!

I was very sad because all my threads did have 0 views sad.png

This is one of worst forum bugs, it makes people think that no one cares about their posts. I am sure this drives many potential users away, with great detriment to the community.

This is especially detrimental to the Help forum. Having a help request sit for a week with no views probably causes some potential users to just give up.

My Scripts are written for the latest released version of AutoHotkey.

Need a secure, accessible place to backup your stuff? Use Dropbox!

Andromon
  • Members
  • 129 posts
  • Last active: Jun 08 2014 12:09 PM

This is one of worst forum bugs, it makes people think that no one cares about their posts. I am sure this drives many potential users away, with great detriment to the community.

This is especially detrimental to the Help forum. Having a help request sit for a week with no views probably causes some potential users to just give up.

Yes I was in fact if I'm honest thinking of changing of language because that, I thought, nobody here has interest I what I'm asking or trying to do, but first I decided to not because AHK it's, by itself, such a great language, for certain things (for example for doing Maths Matlab code you can't beat, but for automation, this program should be by far one of the best) that I decided to keep, even w/o all the support I expected, and then if I see this I understand it better.

Spanish and just learning AHK, please be patient with me! Thank you.

Bugz000
  • Members
  • 155 posts
  • Last active: Oct 14 2015 01:03 PM

not only this - people assume the forums aren't getting any visitors so they head to the IRC for support which puts more pressure on the users in IRC making assisting people more of a chore than a helping hand in good will - it's becoming a service rather than a favour

just been speaking to a friend and he says only users and mods can see warning points- which idealy should be publically viewable so people can see if the person has got any offences - kind of a humiliation aspect

i, personally have been affected by the issues of the forum also -

i have posted a new script but i can't update the link to point to a more up to date copy of the program - neither can i edit it at all! it just states "you cannot use that image format on the forums" - even if i edit, dont change anything and click apply

??????????????

also for ages my avatar wouldn't show - turns out this was because a change in the forum meant tall avatars were no longer allowed-  there was no indication of this - it took me ~3 months to work out that was the issue.

right now as i'm typing this - i'm having issues where i can't set some text to align left and just the "please vote" to middle- it's just setting the whole thing to middle [fixed by tidbit]

what the f is going on??

PLEASE VOTE!

n39peTm.jpg
Hire me to write your code! (join IRC or PM me for details)

Bugz000
  • Members
  • 155 posts

i just tried editing that post again - and this isn't isolated to me - my friend just got the same error - there's not even any images on that post :/ sVtHYBw.jpg

n39peTm.jpg

Bugz000
  • Members
  • 155 posts

i, personally have been affected by the issues of the forum also -

i have posted a new script but i can't update the link to point to a more up to date copy of the program - neither can i edit it at all! it just states "you cannot use that image format on the forums" - even if i edit, dont change anything and click apply

PLEASE VOTE!

Turns out the issue is that the server doesn't allow PNG images yet the emoticons are in PNG format-  SERIOUSLY? this is like 1st grader mistakes

n39peTm.jpg

rbrtryn
  • Members
  • 1177 posts
  • Last active: Sep 11 2013 08:04 PM

Trouble is, polyethene isn't going to read these posts. When was the last time anyone saw him in the forums? There is a reason why he has his last active status set to private; he is never here as far as I can tell.

We may have reached a point were evolution is no longer effective. Revolution may be the only answer.

My Scripts are written for the latest released version of AutoHotkey.

Need a secure, accessible place to backup your stuff? Use Dropbox!

Bugz000
  • Members
  • 155 posts

Lexikos is active on the forums though - i guess that's our doorway into the administration

which it shouldn't be-  surely the administration should be "on the shop floor" (for a better term) -  easy to access/communicate with and active in their community no?

PLEASE VOTE!

n39peTm.jpg

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: Apr 19 2019 05:49 PM

Lexikos has made itclear in a number of such discussions the past. he has no interest in the politics. further more he couldn't do anything Poly doesn't want him to do any how. Poly has made it clear things are exactly as he intends them to be

Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
  • Last active: Nov 19 2015 11:58 AM
seriously, this stuff has been complained about for 6+ months.

do you really expect this post to make any difference?

Bugz000
  • Members
  • 155 posts

seriously, this stuff has been complained about for 6+ months.

do you really expect this post to make any difference?

there's no reason why this one can't

n39peTm.jpg

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: Apr 19 2019 05:49 PM

yes there is Poly is the reason

and its been going on for longer than 6 months alot longer

Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

Andromon
  • Members
  • 129 posts
  • Last active: Jun 08 2014 12:09 PM

But I don't understand all of this.

Isn't the difference btw AutoHotkey and AutoIt that the first one is open source and the second not?

Why we keep waiting that "God" Poly is this program is suppoused to be community based?

Spanish and just learning AHK, please be patient with me! Thank you.

hoppfrosch
  • Members
  • 399 posts
  • Last active: Feb 26 2016 05:31 AM

It's due to histrorical reasons - these is a quite lengthy story.

I'll summarize with my own words - as far as I know/remember/understood the history:
In the beginning Chris Mallet created AutHotkey - the AHK world was happy and unified. Later on Chris lost his motivation on further developing AHK - but the created world turned on. A few derivates of AutoHotkey arose, as there have been AHK_L by Lexikos and a few more variants - this led to a more or less splitted community with fiercy battles between AHK and AHK_L for example. Chris continued to retire from AutoHotkey, but as the creator of AutoHotkey, he still was the "highest" authority (as he maintained for example the domain www.autohotkey.com ...). Chris once realized that it's time to pass on the baton to keep the things going on. He took a look at the community to get appropriate successors (experience, reliability, activity ...) and presented candidates to the community and asked for volunteers. The end of the story was that Polyethene (yes - he had a good reputation within AHK community - and yes, he once was relieable and active ...)  and a second person were chosen to be the successors. The main goal in the beginning was a reunification of the splitted AHK/AHK_L community and a modernization of the forum. But the two successors had different ideas of the way how to do it. After a while Polyethene decided - without consulting anybody (?)) - that it's time to show some activity. With a hush-hush operation he introduced the new forum software (as it is now) and proclaimed classic AHK as the one and only AHK, letting AHK_L just being a subordinate variant. Therefore the second nominated successor lost all his influence and was practically closed out with this coup - at last consequence he lost his motivation and retired completly from AHK (BTW: Has anybody heard anything from him lately?) Especially declaring classic AHK as successor of classic AHK led to some resistance among enthusiastic AHK-forum members, as classic AHK was a dead development with a few quirks, whilst AHK_L was a vivid development implementing some new ideas based on Lexikos and community ideas. An open letter was written to Polyethene which caused Poly to accept AHK_L as official successor of AHK ... Since then, Polyethene seems to be gone.

That's the current situation:
* Polyethene is the owner of the domain (autohotkey.com)
* Polyethene sponsors the domain
* Polyethene has bought and installed the current forum software
* Chris should know about the situation here within the forum, as he has contact to a few people here and is on the forum once a time. As he is "the AHK authority" and he does/can(?) not influence/stop (has no interest/possibilty (?)) Polyethene, the situation is as it is ...
* Lexikos does not have interest in this politics, he's interested in developing AHK (AHK_L) ...

* The community still struggles with the consequences of the historical split of AHK and AHK_L ..

AutoHotkey is theoretically community based. Practically AHK_L is open sourced and maintained by Lexikos, with very little community participation.

AutoHotkey forum isn't community based: domain and forum software are owned by Polyethene ... The forum lives from it's community - but community has no influence on forum design and so on ...

nnnik
  • Members
  • 1625 posts
  • Last active: Jan 24 2019 02:19 PM

I would add that he moved the working German Forum here.

There was now announcement in the German Forum until IsNull noticed it.

Visit the new forum ahkscript.org.

http://ahkscript.org

faqbot
  • Members
  • 997 posts
  • Last active:
On the positive side: hardly any spam gets through so Poly (and Mods) did/do a good job there. Most of the forum bugs are minor annoyances which will be fixed at some point no doubt so don't give up hope yet. There is no point in complaining about something that is free (both the AutoHotkey program and this forum). :-)