Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

What is happening with this site?

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

Poll: What is happening with this site? (81 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Poly get another person on board

1. Yes (80 votes [98.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 98.77%

2. No (1 votes [1.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.23%

Vote Guests cannot vote
hoppfrosch
  • Members
  • 399 posts
  • Last active: Feb 26 2016 05:31 AM

... which will be fixed at some point no doubt so don't give up hope yet. There is no point in complaining about something that is free (both the AutoHotkey program and this forum). :-)

"Yet" is blasphemic in my eyes. How long lasts the state of Poly not reacting and not beeing visible? I've given up my hope here after waiting for a real long time.

As long as there are complaints you see it's an active community, which cares about future of AHK and this forum. I would be really scared if there would be no critical/complaining voices anymore.

faqbot
  • Members
  • 997 posts
  • Last active:
I'm not saying you are not allowed to complain, just saying there is little point in going on about - Poly will no doubt appear online at some point and fix a few things and you will be happy again :-)

SnowFlake_FlowSnake
  • Members
  • 845 posts
  • Last active: Jan 24 2016 05:24 PM
polyethene Latest Post: 23 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

Last Posted Time:

The duration is 89 days, 6 hours, 56 minutes and 55 seconds

Or 2 months, 30 days, 6 hours, 56 minutes, 55 seconds

no offense but

Is this Acceptable for an Admin?

• Download link of my scripts on Autohotkey.com 2/10/2015 [DOWNLAND]
  • Contact Info:  https://github.com/floowsnaake //  FloowSnaake(A)gmail.com
  • IF you need Help send me a PM,Email or Post on Github

• Quote by tank  Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:14 PM

• "Eventually i will find a way to convert the DB back to PHPBB3. but i dont have the bandwidth right now. No one that has tried has had success. It is the Only way i can keep this open is if i could successfully convert it."

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: Apr 19 2019 05:49 PM

you know faqbot hardly any spam got thru before either. its just not a valid arguement

Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation

Snowflake. you seem to be under the impression that anyone within this community has some sort of power over Poly. they dont. 

Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

faqbot
  • Members
  • 997 posts
  • Last active:
@tank: not entirely true - shortly after both forum upgrades (1st to phpbb3, 2nd to IP) the forum suffered from (a lot of) spam - few weeks(?) after the 2nd upgrade addition measures seem to have been taken as the initial wave of daily spam seems to have stopped. Either that or the moderators are online 24/7 deleting all spam before it is seen :-) So there is progress however slow.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation

i count everything after phpbb2 as a series of missteps. None of it was helpful or necessary. no problems were addressed

Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

Bugz000
  • Members
  • 155 posts
  • Last active: Oct 14 2015 01:03 PM

Snowflake. you seem to be under the impression that anyone within this community has some sort of power over Poly. they dont. 

poly has no power over the community - that's the key here.

PLEASE VOTE!

n39peTm.jpg
Hire me to write your code! (join IRC or PM me for details)

Bugz000
  • Members
  • 155 posts

polyethene Latest Post: 23 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

Last Posted Time:

The duration is 89 days, 6 hours, 56 minutes and 55 seconds

Or 2 months, 30 days, 6 hours, 56 minutes, 55 seconds

no offense but

Is this Acceptable for an Admin?

absolutely not - we need a bigger administration team - spread the word of this thread - put links to it in your sigs!

Let's also remember-  we're not after Polyethene LEAVING! he's done some good things in the past - but at the moment he's slacking and needs some ASSISTANCE! - let's not forget the motive of this thread- to get polyethene to get ONE other person on board!

HE owns the domain

HE owns the forum

HE DOES NOT own AHK or AHK_L

HE DOES NOT own the community

Without the community behind him - he's powerless

we're only here for AHK_L and AHK which can both be moved away as with the community and i think if things don't start moving - we could always try and move things ourselves and the threat of yet another void in the community may get the admins to buck up their ideas

we are a community, in a community driven environment - with a "dictator" which doesn't listen to the community?

as for him seeing this- just keep this thread going - just keep the votes coming in and i will catch him on IRC at some point and get him to look at this thread.
he comes in about once every 4-6 months or so

We could also PM him to get him to look at this thread and demand a response from him

Thankyou all for your support on this matter.

n39peTm.jpg

SnowFlake_FlowSnake
  • Members
  • 845 posts
  • Last active: Jan 24 2016 05:24 PM

over 20 People can't be wrong!

The forum poll have spoken happy.png

WE NEED AT LEAST ONE OR MORE ADMINISTRATORS!

Wir brauchen mindestens einen oder mehrere Administratoren!

• Download link of my scripts on Autohotkey.com 2/10/2015 [DOWNLAND]
  • Contact Info:  https://github.com/floowsnaake //  FloowSnaake(A)gmail.com
  • IF you need Help send me a PM,Email or Post on Github

• Quote by tank  Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:14 PM

• "Eventually i will find a way to convert the DB back to PHPBB3. but i dont have the bandwidth right now. No one that has tried has had success. It is the Only way i can keep this open is if i could successfully convert it."

Andromon
  • Members
  • 129 posts
  • Last active: Jun 08 2014 12:09 PM
Should Poly get another person on board
  1. Yes (21 votes [100.00%] - View)

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

C'mon, Poly, are you not even going to vote for yourself?

21-0

Spanish and just learning AHK, please be patient with me! Thank you.

Bugz000
  • Members
  • 155 posts

the pressure got too much for some it seems - i hear we lost a highly experienced OP on the IRC possibly/partially (some say exclusively) due to the overwhelming pressure of the new surge of people looking for assistance in the IRC rather than the forums sad.png

he's left the OP team and only comes on momentarily - i've not seen him on since he left sad.png

n39peTm.jpg

ErrorOnLine1
  • Members
  • 230 posts
  • Last active: Oct 05 2015 02:46 PM
The 'sad.png' doesn't display for me. grin.png

(can you see the smiley.png?)

Are you sad because the OP left IRC or because of the new surge of people looking for assistance in IRC rather than the forums, or both?

I'm wondering because, AFAIK, solutions to problems posted on IRC do not find their way to forum pages nor do they show up in google site search. Those solutions are lost to people, like myself, searching solutions to the same or similar problems. 

Let IRC provide a chat room and a VIP Lounge, but all requests for assistance should be posted in the Support Thread on the AHK Forum.

Just my 2 cents.

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts
  • Last active: Dec 05 2016 10:14 PM

The main goal in the beginning was a reunification of the splitted AHK/AHK_L community and a modernization of the forum. But the two successors had different ideas of the way how to do it. After a while Polyethene decided - without consulting anybody (?)) - that it's time to show some activity. With a hush-hush operation he introduced the new forum software (as it is now) and proclaimed classic AHK as the one and only AHK, letting AHK_L just being a subordinate variant. Therefore the second nominated successor lost all his influence and was practically closed out with this coup - at last consequence he lost his motivation and retired completly from AHK (BTW: Has anybody heard anything from him lately?) Especially declaring classic AHK as successor of classic AHK led to some resistance among enthusiastic AHK-forum members, as classic AHK was a dead development with a few quirks, whilst AHK_L was a vivid development implementing some new ideas based on Lexikos and community ideas. An open letter was written to Polyethene which caused Poly to accept AHK_L as official successor of AHK ... Since then, Polyethene seems to be gone.

That's more or less accurate. I'm not dead, but I've been doing other things and mostly dropped engagement in AutoHotkey. Seems I've been gone so long someone forgot my nick? happy.png

I did have a resurge in interest causing me to organize the open letter to Polyethene because I didn't want to leave the community in a state where the site owner had not acknowledged any of the concerns of the community. Once most of the concerns were met by Polyethene (sure, there was a forum upgrade that many now think was a bad move, but bugs would be fixed back then) I felt I could retire from the role as community manager with a somewhat good conscience. I occasionally code some AHK, check the forums (which seem to be quite inactive nowadays?), or hang out in the IRC. A quite funny thing is that a few times I've had the "WHAT? Are you THE sumon!?" asked when I log on to the IRC.

I haven't heard from Polyethene or anyone else lately, but then again, that might as well have to do with me being active. I do think Polyethene could very well want to manage the site in the way he planned to (ie. mostly by himself) if he dedicated his time to it, but he does not, so he can not. Therefore it might be a good idea to appoint someone else and get some things moving again.

Besides, a community/software is so much more than just the site. Sure, the documentation may be from the Classic version and the forum may have a few glitches, but a community can thrive regardless of that. So I don't think it's fair to make Polyethene a scapegoat, and I don't think appointing another site administrator would solve everything.

Bugz000
  • Members
  • 155 posts

Besides, a community/software is so much more than just the site. Sure, the documentation may be from the Classic version and the forum may have a few glitches, but a community can thrive regardless of that. So I don't think it's fair to make Polyethene a scapegoat, and I don't think appointing another site administrator would solve everything.

very true,  though Polyethene isn't a scapegoat-  he's the one with the power to change things for the better - perhaps another administrator wouldn't help, the key here is simply for polyethene to loosen his grip on the administration a bit, let the more active users develop the site assuming you consider the current administration team adequate?

We're not after destruction here- we're after change because what's currently in place isn't working

it may seem extreme at the moment but i'm seeing this situation rapidly declining and i'm trying to make a change before it's too late as oh so many administrators fail to do.

by the time they're motivated enough to DO something about the issue- the community has moved on because people will only put up with bulls**t for so long

people throughout this thread have been saying this topic has come up again and again over the past 6 months and nothing changed...

WHY?

if the community clearly wants something to change- why is it not changing?

there's a thread there about forum bugs and glitches - listing the bugs is great! but none of them are being FIXED!

it seems as though it's there as a red herring for people to vent their frustration and for no action to be taken on it

we want ACTION to be made becuase there's just no movement!

we need someone to go through -fix the site up 100% and from then it can be administrated easilly and half the problems the AHK community are experiencing will be solved

i understand the admins aren't being paid and it's a free service etc but when the community is rapidly declining - it becomes a "FIX ASAP!" scenario

n39peTm.jpg