Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Disable/Enable Windows 7 Touch Functions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
Puzzled Greatly
  • Members
  • 612 posts
  • Last active: May 22 2017 11:15 PM
I know the steps to do this manually: 1. Click Start, search for Pen and Touch. 2. In Pen and Touch Click the Touch tab. 3. Uncheck Use your finger as an imput device. I'd like to be able to do this using AHK script. I need it to work on some non English Windows 7 systems (specifically Japanese). I need keyboard shortcuts to quickly enable and disable the touchscreen. Does anyone know how I might achieve this. Thanks.

lblb
  • Members
  • 120 posts
  • Last active: Dec 02 2015 08:05 AM
✓  Best Answer

Hi Puzzled Greatly,

The following should work in Win 7 (and I think Vista) but not Win 8:

RegRead, Touch_State, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software\Microsoft\Wisp\Touch, TouchGate
    If Touch_State = 1
        RegWrite, REG_DWORD, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software\Microsoft\Wisp\Touch, TouchGate, 0
    If Touch_State = 0
        RegWrite, REG_DWORD, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software\Microsoft\Wisp\Touch, TouchGate, 1
    SendMessage, 0x1a,,,, ahk_id 0xffff

Puzzled Greatly
  • Members
  • 612 posts
Thanks very much, that works. I hadn't thought about going directly to the registry. Do you know of a way to do something similar with Windows 8?

lblb
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Unfortunately, there is no universal solution to toggle touch input in Win 8. The solution above for Win 7 worked for the beta release of Win 8 but Microsoft decided to remove it (I guess they really want you to use touch in Win 8!) in the final release. So in Win 8 there is

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Wisp\Touch

but TouchGate isn't available anymore. The result of this is that if you disable touch through the normal Windows options, you have to log off/reboot in order for it to come into effect. That being said, there's been plenty of discussion about this and I would refer you to the TabletPC Review (TPCR) forum. For what I know, there are three different ways of approaching the problem:

1) You do it through the normal Windows options, but that necessitates a restart.

2) A solution that has proven to be quite successful on a variety of systems and that doesn't necessitate a reboot (unfortunately it doesn't work on all systems) is to disable the HID device for touch input. Several examples of this strategy are available where AHK is used in conjunction with Devcon or Devmanview. See for example:

http://forum.tabletp...rt-pc-500t.html

http://forum.tabletp...-slate-7-a.html

3) This one may be more limited and may only apply to (a limited number of?) art programs: This program called TGuard has come to be known as the Butimaru program on TPCR. I am not an artist so I've never used it but from what I remember (I may be wrong...) it doesn't actually disable touch but instead just blocks touch input everywhere except around the pen cursor. See:

http://butimaru.blogspot.com/

Puzzled Greatly
  • Members
  • 612 posts

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. One reason not to use my Win 8 upgrade.

aleder
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Dec 13 2014 03:09 AM

in win 8 you can disable touch from device manager

jaredbaszler
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Mar 27 2015 02:09 PM

I found in Windows 8.1 this registry key has just been moved to the "Local_Machine" folder.  You can find the same TouchGate key here: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Wisp\Touch

dBierman
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Nov 05 2015 06:28 PM

Hi I am using a windows 7 Panasonic ToughPad.  I would like to disable the touch screen using the windows registry.  Can you give me some advise on how to run this code?

RegRead, Touch_State, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software\Microsoft\Wisp\Touch, TouchGate
    If Touch_State = 1
        RegWrite, REG_DWORD, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software\Microsoft\Wisp\Touch, TouchGate, 0
    If Touch_State = 0
        RegWrite, REG_DWORD, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software\Microsoft\Wisp\Touch, TouchGate, 1
    SendMessage, 0x1a,,,, ahk_id 0xffff

I saved the file on a junk.reg  and ran it.  I got an error The specified file is not a registry script.  You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor

Could someone give me a tutorial on how to run this code?

Thanks,

lblb
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Hi dBierman,

Although the code is reading and writing the registry, the code is for a AutoHotkey script (which will have the .ahk file extension) and not a .reg file. So you need to first install AutoHotkey, then create a new script using the code, then launch that .ahk file by double-clicking on it. Hope this helps!