Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Forum Improvements

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic
bahri
  • Members
  • 120 posts
  • Last active: Feb 12 2016 07:08 PM
Hi!
May I add my -- THANK YOU -- for the RSS feed addition.

bahri

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM
One major annoyance in phpBB is the BBCode editor. Mostly in Firefox, as I saw...
When I click on a tag button, it always add the code at the end of the message. Well, not exactly, if I selected some text, it is able to surround the selection with the starting and ending tags.

I finally took a look at the code, and was surprised to see rather low quality JavaScript. I thought that code in such popular open source software would have been much improved.

Another surprise, Mozilla/Firefox support is actually present, but the code to add the tags at the end of the message is actually deliberate if there is no selection... I find this counter intuitive and improductive.

So, I changed the code were needed, but I need some feedback before going further.

Do you think we should keep the current behavior (with minors fixes)?

Should we insert at caret position, but keep the two times tag insertion, ie. click once to insert the opening tag, changing the button, then click another time to close the tag?

Or, my preferred solution would be to insert both opening and closing tags at caret position on each click, moving the caret between the two tags.
This allows to easily add nested tags: click on B then on I, type a word, it will be bold and italic.
To add a bold sentence, just click on B and type, and go after the tag to continue in normal font.
To boldify a sentence, put the caret at the start, click B, Shift+Click after the ending tag and drag'n'drop it (or copy/paste it) at the end of the sentence.

Seems to be the more natural way of inputing data, but it can break some habits.

So, what do you think? The question is mainly aimed at Chris, since he is the guy that will patch phpBB with the code I will provide. But I suppose third party opinions might count too.

In all case, I will try and change this editor on the fly with GreaseMonkey, at least it might work in other forums...
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

Thalon
  • Members
  • 641 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2017 12:17 PM
Great! THX!!

Edit: My Browser (Mozilla Firefox) doesn't show any RSS-Symbol anywhere (even not in Adressbar).
Where could it be found?

Thalon

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
I can see the orange symbol on this very topic, on the right of the address bar (Firefox 1.5.0.4).
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

Thalon
  • Members
  • 641 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2017 12:17 PM
Thx PhiLho!
I have updated my Browser. Now I can Feed the Forum as well :)

Thalon

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2015 06:39 AM

I can see the orange symbol on this very topic, on the right of the address bar (Firefox 1.5.0.4).

Thats because of the application/rss+xml link type in the souce code. Like Chris said, all RSS aware browsers will display some kind of notification when they parse this.

autohotkey.com/net Site Manager

Contact me by email (polyethene at autohotkey.net) or message tidbit

AGU
  • Guests
  • Last active:
@PhiLho

Have you seen my recent post about GeSHi on the first page? What do you think about it?

btw. how do you reference a posting by URL?

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts

Have you seen my recent post about GeSHi on the first page? What do you think about it?

I haven't investigated it. It is to generated syntax highlighted code in HTML, no?

:?:

AGU
  • Guests
  • Last active:

I haven't investigated it. It is to generated syntax highlighted code in HTML, no?

I might have misunderstood your lines but I thought you're looking for a solution to implement some kind of code tags that show syntax highlighted code within this forum. Did I misunderstand this?

I thought GeSHi is a perfect solution to reach that goal as far as I understand it.

That was a question to all of you. I wanted to post an URL that jumps to a posting within a thread rather than opening the thread showing the first posting.
I know there was a solution some times ago with the combination of 'showposting.php?p=12345#12345'. But apparently there has been changed s.th. within this forum because I don't see showposting.php inside the URL anymore when opening a thread.
So I was asking for a solution to this problem. Does anybody know the correct syntax for an URL that directly jumps to a posting within a thread?

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Here's the method to jump directly to a post:
http://www.autohotke... ... 5022#65022
.. or (in the AHK forums only):
http://www.autohotke...5022.html#65022

One major annoyance in phpBB is the BBCode editor. Mostly in Firefox, as I saw...
When I click on a tag button, it always add the code at the end of the message. Well, not exactly, if I selected some text, it is able to surround the selection with the starting and ending tags.

It's my general preference not to modify the forum unless there's a compelling benefit. Reasons:[*:3pbnsvdp]It's likely to mess up visitors who are used to phpBB's editor (quirks and all).
[*:3pbnsvdp]Such modifications don't benefit from the extensive cross-browser testing that has been done on the standard phpBB software. So unless someone here is a JavaScript guru who knows all the quirks in old or alternate browsers, making JavaScript changes might introduce incompatibilities.
[*:3pbnsvdp]It's more work for me because I have to apply all such mods with every new release of phpBB (the list of mods is already getting pretty large). Fortunately, phpBB isn't being updated as often as it used to (apparently because all new developement effort is being put into the next major release of phpBB).

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
OK, so I will make my mods and try to apply them with GreaseMonkey (haven't made personal scripts yet).
For those with Firefox or having other means (Proxomitron, Proximodo, JunkBuster, Privoxy, WebCleaner...), I will provide my mods.

As for the way to reference a post, the easiest way is to right-click on the little page-like icon on the left of "Posting:", which is a link to this post.
Choose the menu item looking like: "Copy the address of this link" and you will get in the clipboard an URL like: http://www.autohotke... ... 4823#64823
As JSLover pointed out in the past, if you want to be nice, you can also add the topic number which is in the address bar:
http://www.autohotke... ... 2&start=15
so the final URL will be:
http://www.autohotke... ... 4823#64823

Note: I still have the auto-redirection in the preview, ie. if I preview this very message, Firefox will jump to the referenced topic. This is annoying, and since the preview page appears only briefly, I cannot see what in the source is making this problem.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts

Such modifications don't benefit from the extensive cross-browser testing that has been done on the standard phpBB software.

Uh! The brain dead broken JavaScript I see doesn't seem to have been finely tuned, at least to work on the Mozilla family...
Out of curiosity, I would like to know if your site is still having a lot of traffic from Netscape 4.5 or 4.7x, Mozilla up to 1.7, IE 4.0 to 5.5, etc.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

As for the way to reference a post, the easiest way is to right-click on the little page-like icon on the left of "Posting:", which is a link to this post.

Great tip! That icon is so tiny I'd never noticed it was a link.

I would like to know if your site is still having a lot of traffic from Netscape 4.5 or 4.7x, Mozilla up to 1.7, IE 4.0 to 5.5, etc.

MSIE old versions:
Msie 5.5 -- 0.4 %
Msie 5.0 -- 0.3 %
Msie 5.01 -- 0.1 %

Firefox old versions:
Firefox 1.0.7 -- 1.4 %
Firefox 1.0.6 -- 0.2 %

There's very little usage from old versions of Netscape. In fact, only 1% of visitors use any version of Netscape.

Overall percentages by browser:
MSIE -- 57.7 %
FIREFOX -- 25.6 %
OPERA -- 7.2 %
NETSCAPE -- 1 %

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:
Dear PhiLho, :)

Choose the menu item looking like: "Copy the address of this link" and you will get in the clipboard an URL like: http://www.autohotke... ... 4823#64823

I never knew this! Very useful information for me.

THANKS! :D

Regards, :)
kWo4Lk1.png

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
(this post was moved from another topic)

I haven't been developing much lately due to focusing on site issues and improvements, namely:
[*:1pzmzx50]The site's search form has been improved to include the forum. This makes it easier for casual visitors to find what they need (since there is now a wealth of relevant info in the forum, thanks to you all). In addition, the search is in some ways more powerful than the forum's own search because it sorts by relevancy and has an option for exact phrase.
[*:1pzmzx50]The ongoing fight against spam continues. The latest problem is bots that automatically register lots of usernames on the forum (I think I found some mods to block them).
[*:1pzmzx50]Although server reliability has improved lately, there are still problems. Since I'm commited to having the site on a stable server, I'll rehost the site again if it becomes necessary.

Ahh [the bigger Search results] explains the WTF-moment i had earlier today :). Would it cause much trouble to implement a "Search only in the Docs" option?

Good idea. Until it gets done, some of the other clickable templates on the Search form offer this option.

Thanks.