Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Forum Improvements

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic
foom
  • Members
  • 386 posts
  • Last active: Jul 04 2007 04:53 PM
Is it possible that the site remembers the templates one was using by cookies? I like the grey template the most but actually don't' use it because i'm to lazy to to load it every time.

Ohh and while you're at it. Can you please make the site remember the last site visited when logging in, because logging in is driving me mad slowly but surely :).

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM
foom, are you sure you are talking about this site?
In my profile, I only saw one template: subSilver.
And do you have trouble using the Log me on automatically each visit check box?
Actually, I don't even use this option, I have Firefox to remember my login name and password, or I use AutoHotkey to automatically enter them.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

foom
  • Members
  • 386 posts
Dear PhilHo, :)
The templates i am talking about are those on the search site.
Autologin is not an option since i nuke my cookies every browser restart automatically.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
Ah, I didn't tried it yet, it is nice... And actually, it seems, indeed, more powerful that the built-in forum search (with less options, like restricting to a section).

You wrote: "Is it possible that the site remembers the templates one was using by cookies?" but "i nuke my cookies every browser restart automatically". Isn't it a bit contradictory?

Likewise, actually I don't understand "Can you please make the site remember the last site visited when logging in"... What last site? Logging in where? The search site doesn't have a login... I am confused.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

foom
  • Members
  • 386 posts
i'm not as often on the search site as on the forum thats why its not such a big deal when this setting gets nuked along with the cookies.

Likewise, actually I don't understand "Can you please make the site remember the last site visited when logging in"... What last site? Logging in where? The search site doesn't have a login... I am confused.

When i start the browser and go to the forums i don't login automatically since i don't reply every time im on the forum. But if i find a thread i want to reply to i find it a little annoying to have to search the thread i was reading after logging in.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
Aha, so it is "make the site remember the last topic visited when logging in". I understand better.
You mixed both sites, that's why I was confused. :-)
And even if I always log in before reading messages, of course I think this is a good idea. Now, I don't know if it is so easy to hack.

foom
  • Members
  • 386 posts
Sorry for confusing you it should really be:"Can you please make the forum remember the last thread visited when logging in".

Now, I don't know if it is so easy to hack.

With this MOD it should be:Smart Log In Redirect

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Thanks for the smart-redirect mod. I'll look into adding it.

As for remembering your favorite search template, that would definitely be nice. But cookies aren't my strong point, so I don't think it will get done anytime soon (unless the phpDig's author includes that feature in a future version).

Thanks.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts

Pre-focused fields on the following forms: Reply, New-Topic, Private Message, and Search. This cuts down on the number of mouse clicks you have to do before typing.

Suggestion: add this to the Login page, please. :-)
[EDIT] (Silently) Done... Thanks.

MsgBox
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Hello Chris

Would it be possible to add a button above posted code in the forum that will select the code and possibly copy it to the clipboard?

Some scripts that are posted are quite long and it becomes a drag (excuse the pun) to select the code at the top of the page and drag the cursor to the end.

Thanks

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
I doubt it. What to do when you have several code tags?
And some browsers (Mozilla family) restricts copying to clipboard by a script (security reason), needing a complicated method to override this.

Here is a simple trick: select the first character (or line, etc.) of the code, scroll down to the end of the code (using the scrollbar, of course), Shift+click after the last character of the code. You have everything selected. The only drawback is that we loose the tabs (still in the message/database) when copying.

MsgBox
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Hello PhiLho

Oh well...I suppose that I was just being lazy. ;)

I doubt it. What to do when you have several code tags?

I mean't putting a button above each individual code box ie. ("Select Code" = button)

Code: "Select Code"

so clicking that button would select only that block of code.

Here is a simple trick: select the first character (or line, etc.) of the code, scroll down to the end of the code (using the scrollbar, of course), Shift+click after the last character of the code. You have everything selected.

IMHO thats just as bad (if not worse) as drag selecting, (again, lazy). :)

The only drawback is that we loose the tabs (still in the message/database) when copying.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. All tabs are removed from code??

Thanks

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
Why my method is worse than drag selecting?
Dragging is slower (you have to rely on the speed chosen by the browser to scroll while dragging) and less precise (you get bored and let the scrolling go too far, thus has to drag back), plus you have to wait with mouse button down, which is tiring (continuing on the lazy side...).
With my method, you go as fast as you can drag the scrollbar, you just have to aim and click to get your selection.

The tabs I mention are the tab chars (Chr(9)), which I use to indent lines. HTML doesn't handle them correctly, so phpBB converts them to three spaces, and that's what you get when you copy the code.

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2015 06:39 AM

HTML doesn't handle them correctly (tabs)

There are phpBB mods that use pre blocks instead of spans so tabs are be displayed properly. I hope Chris looks into this.

autohotkey.com/net Site Manager

Contact me by email (polyethene at autohotkey.net) or message tidbit

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
Tabs in
 blocks are 8 space long (classical value), which is ugly. So that would not be a big improvement (but indeed, we would keep the tabs).