Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Tutorial rewrite

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Tutorial rewrite (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Should this replace the current official beginner tutorial?

1. Yes (9 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote
tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM

So long ago I made a tutorial that was supposed to replace the current (IMO, outdated) quickstart tutorial. It was going to be part of the website changes. I've been giving the link out on IRC for a while now but didn't want to make it public as I don't think it's 100% ready. I think some grammar and some examples could be fixed up a bit. And the page/layout could probably be prettier.

Anywho, it's meant to be a friendly and mildly fun tutorial, not a monotone bland piece of poo that's full of terms a noob has never heard without any explanation.

But I have given up on it a few times (lack of motivation. and I HATE GIT) and well, I guess it's time to release it.

So here are some links:

git pages: http://acorns.github.io/AHK_Tutorial/

the actual git thingy: https://github.com/acorns/AHK_Tutorial

trello card: https://trello.com/c/ui5Dfema

Ultimately, I would prefer this to replace the current tutorial as it has more samples and covers more topics. I would also like it to be part of the main AHK documentation github page as [1] I don't feel like maintaining it anymore [2] My git skills are next to 0 and every little thing takes me like 2 hours to figure out...and I don't plan on learning the junk. [3] It'd be more noticeable for actual git & ahk users to find, change, update, enhance.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

JnLLnd
  • Members
  • 193 posts
  • Last active: Jul 23 2015 02:15 AM

I'd like to help on this. English is my second language. So, I would'nt be the best one for grammar review. But I can remember easily how I felt trying to understand this language and I have some experience in writing technical/learning stuff. I use AHK for hotkeys scripting since 2007. And I use more advanced commands (Gui, Objects, etc.) to write more sophisticated scripts/applications since about one year.

How should I proceed? I'm not fully confortable with Git. Should I fork the https://github.com/acorns/AHK_Tutorial repo and submit my changes via pull requests?

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor

For now that's fine, I guess. But I'd prefer it if I wasn't the one doing all the merging/pulling/whatevering :p I'd prefer it to be on the main AHK Documentation GIT (Using Lexikos? Fincs? Maybe Polyethene has one to go with the new site?) It would probably get more attention and be better maintained, and less "oopsie, what did I click?"'s..

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*

G. Sperotto
  • Members
  • 539 posts
  • Last active: Jun 20 2015 04:54 PM

Count me in for a Brazilian-Portuguese translation wink.png

"What is a suitable automation? Whatever saves your day for the greater matters."
Barcoder - Create QR Codes and other Barcodes using only Autohotkey !!

JnLLnd
  • Members
  • 193 posts

I understand and agree with you that it would benefit from being part of the official doc GIT. If it can be managed in one of the repositories you mentionned, that's better. But, as I am getting more familiar with GIT, I could also manage this in my GitHub account. Let me know.

For now, I'll start reviewing it on my forked copy.

JnLLnd
  • Members
  • 193 posts

I think some grammar and some examples could be fixed up a bit.

I took a closer look to the tutorial. I like the style. And the content is very good.

However, I would do a liitle more than fixing scripts. For example, I would do some additions or moves to make sure that every command is explained where it is used for the first time in the examples. Also, I would prefer if the example in the video is synced with the first example of the tutorial. Things like this. But, still I would keep the friendly style. Are theses type of changes OK for you?

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor

Yup. I did originally plan to make all the commands have links to the doc pages, but that'd be a lot of manual labor or learning something else like JS to parse the page.

Do whatever you want :) Need someone fresh to add content, I'm all burnt out. add/explain/change/move stuff please :D

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*

JnLLnd
  • Members
  • 193 posts

Yup. I did originally plan to make all the commands have links to the doc pages, but that'd be a lot of manual labor.

Agree. That's a lot of job to do... and maintain. This is another reason why this would benefit from being integrated with the official doc.

I'd prefer it to be on the main AHK Documentation GIT (Using Lexikos? Fincs? Maybe Polyethene has one to go with the new site?)

No reply from these people yet? Before putting time on this, I'll just wait to see more comments on this project, just to figure out how it fits in the docs big picture.

And just another tought... Maybe this page should not be intended to replace the Tutorial for beginners in the official doc but to complement it? And be called "Step-by-step Tutorial" or something like this? Food for thought...

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor

Well, Lexikos and Fincs are members on the Trello board and this has been on there for 6 months and they haven't replied.

When I first started this maybe 1.5 years ago, Polyethene was still somewhat active and IIRC (don't quote me on this, it's what I remember) he said this was a great idea and the current tutorial should be updated/replaced with mine for when he updates the site (which has come-and-gone, just like his activity).

As for a  replacement', perhaps it could have its own page but keep the old one too. "Tutorial for beginners (new)" and "Tutorial for beginners (old)".

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*

AfterLemon
  • Moderators
  • 237 posts
  • Connoisseur of Boobs
  • Last active: Jan 04 2016 11:12 PM
I would like to offer my time managing the phrasing and descriptions of many of the very basic functions most come to AutoHotkey to do. I think this is one of the very essential portions of the language - the first impression of a language should be easy to find, easy to read, objective, and useful. Currently the most simple expressions that people come here for are explained, but never their workings, syntax, or other nuances that really give this language appeal to so many. I'd like to help change that image.