Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Can AHK Be Used for a Simple Backup Program?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
BSquared18
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Last active: Sep 12 2013 03:51 AM

Hi,

I'm new to AHK. I'm looking for a way to automate a simple backup process I now do manually: In Windows Explorer, I copy the filename of a file I've worked on, go to my external hard drive duplicate file list in Win Explorer, and paste the file into the list, replacing the previous version.

Simple. It's mostly for document files. I have an image file that includes all the program files. Besides, if I need to start over from scratch, I prefer to rebuild from scratch instead of using an image whose registry has started to degrade over time.

Is there a way to create a script in AHK to do that simple copy/paste process? Or does anyone know of a program someone has written to do that? Maybe pressing a hotkey after highlighting the name of the file I'm updating? I assume some kind of search would need to be included to find the file on the external hard drive. Too long of a process?

Thanks,

Bill

jNizM
  • Members
  • 928 posts
  • Last active: Jan 12 2018 09:23 AM
use robocopy
http://ss64.com/nt/robocopy.html
[AHK] 1.1.27.04 x64 Unicode | [WIN] 10 Pro (Version 1709)
My GitHub Profile | Donations are appreciated if I could help you

BSquared18
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Bill

BSquared18
  • Members
  • 4 posts

I'm glad I learned about AutoHotKey; I will no doubt have use for it in the future. Thanks for the info.

However, for my purpose mentioned at the start of this thread, I've discovered the perfect program: SyncBackFree. It does everything I had envisioned.

Bill