Selectable text in boxes with error reports - preferably by clicking a button

Propose new features and changes
A Keymaker

Selectable text in boxes with error reports - preferably by clicking a button

23 Jan 2023, 08:50

I think that whenever there is an error in the code and the window appears to inform user of it, the text of this message should be selectable, so that a user could copy it for whatever reason

Furthermore, to save time and clicks, aside from the OK button there should be another one: Copy & Close, which would copy the entire message [and then the OK should be renamed to Close
lmstearn

Re: Selectable text in boxes with error reports - preferably by clicking a button

24 Jan 2023, 22:09

Is this for V2? For syntax errors or run-time, or both?
In v1, for this program:

Code: Select all

This line does not contain a recognized action.
The popup message has a close box on it, and CTRL-C on it gets this message to the clipboard:
---------------------------
Test.ahk
Error at line 1.

Line Text: This line does not contain a recognized action.
Error: This line does not contain a recognized action.

The program will exit.
OK
A bit clunky, there's a thread where Lexikos explains the reasons for the convenience & low cost of the message box in errors, unable to locate it.
Related: Apply ErrorStdOut to run-time errors,Syntax Highlighting (GeSHi) and Codeboxes, use AHK.exe to parse scripts, Debugging.
:arrow: itros "ylbbub eht tuO kaerB" a ni kcuts m'I pleH
A Keymaker

Re: Selectable text in boxes with error reports - preferably by clicking a button

15 Feb 2023, 18:37

lmstearn wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 22:09
Is this for V2? For syntax errors or run-time, or both?
In v1, for this program:

Code: Select all

This line does not contain a recognized action.
The popup message has a close box on it, and CTRL-C on it gets this message to the clipboard:
[...]
And so it does to my surprise, in version 1.1.36.02. But as we can see on the example of me, the lack of being able to select the text is misleading to some users. I do not think I have ever used a program where I could not select a text in pop-up box but at the same time be able to click it, press CTRL+C and have its content added to clipboard. Or is this a default behavior in Windows and for years I was stupidly unaware of this basic feature? If not, i.e. this is just how AutoHotkey V1 hides its handy feature- then a lack of Copy button only adds to this hiding

As for version AutoHotkey 2.0.2: the text is selectable, thus eligible for full or partial coping - but the ability to just left click the box and press CTRL+C is gone. So we have a visual / informative step forward - and functional step backward. And the lack of Copy button forces the user to select the content by hand, requiring aiming and dragging selection area

Thus a question arises: why such duality and non-informative approach?
geek

16 Feb 2023, 12:47

A Keymaker wrote:
Or is this a default behavior in Windows and for years I was stupidly unaware of this basic feature? If not, i.e. this is just how AutoHotkey V1 hides its handy feature- then a lack of Copy button only adds to this hiding
The AHKv1 error dialog is a standard system message box such as is generated by a call to MessageBoxW. Indeed, the copying feature is a decades-old Windows feature not something AHK implemented.
A Keymaker wrote:
As for version AutoHotkey 2.0.2: the text is selectable, thus eligible for full or partial coping - but the ability to just left click the box and press CTRL+C is gone. So we have a visual / informative step forward - and functional step backward. And the lack of Copy button forces the user to select the content by hand, requiring aiming and dragging selection area
Just click the text and press control-a control-c. No reason to drag. Admittedly, the text control isn't in the tab order / cannot be tabbed to, so it does have somewhat reduced keyboard usability. On that note, a copy button would both give a very clear way to put the contents on the clipboard and it would fix the can't-tab problem.

Return to “Wish List”