Linux AutoHotkey version

Propose new features and changes
ziii

Linux AutoHotkey version

13 Jan 2016, 04:26

Please, create AutoHotkey for Linux in Linux / Ubuntu
I like AutoHotkey, but AHK is the only utility lack in Linux
So I could not automate multiple key-press like:
1. press&hold mouse extra button 1, then press left mouse button - to shortkey {Ctrl + Shift + Page Up}
2. press&hold mouse extra button 1, then press right mouse button - to shortkey {Ctrl + Shift + Page Down}
3. press mouse extra button 1 only - to copy to clipboard {Ctrl + C}
4. press mouse extra button 2 only - to copy paste from clipboard {Ctrl + V}
5. press&hold left mouse button, then press mouse extra button 1 - to shortkey {Ctrl + T}
Thank you for great product!
tomoe_uehara

Re: Linux AutoHotkey version

14 Jan 2016, 17:15

We have IronAHK which is basically AutoHotkey for Linux.
But the development is stopped because we don't have enough man power to continue the project
Exaskryz

14 Jan 2016, 18:01

It's a shame that IronAHK had to stop development, given that AHK is one of the top two reasons I don't transition to linux. The other reason simply being software compatibility with school, but dualbooting to work on word as needed would be a suitable workaround. Given that I use AHK in everything and its purpose in just making computer navigation easier, dualbooting into windows when I want to use AHK is pointless as I'd only ever boot into windows.

I'll have to check out how far along IronAHK did come, as I don't think I have very many pieces to a script that are dependent on the newer versions of AHK and might be able to live without them.
ziii

18 Jan 2016, 08:57

I know about IronAHK, but as development is stopped a long time ago, so I could not use my scripts there.
Is there any other solution? May be alternative utilities or etc?
notalinuxuser

18 Jan 2016, 09:10

Just google autohotkey linux and you'll find various threads on superuser/stackoverflow and autohotkey which link to various utilities incl. autokey, xnee, xdo, xbindkeys, wmctrl, zenity, xclip, Devil's Pie, Xnee, x2x, xdpyinfo, xprop, xwininfo, xlsclients etc and many standard unix utilities for file management and manipulation

There is not one tool that does all what AutoHotkey can do so you will have to find the tool that fits the task for each situation. For abbreviations autokey seems to be the one to use.
ziii

18 Jan 2016, 09:24

I tried, but no one (or combination) of them could solve task I described in the first post)
notalinuxuser

18 Jan 2016, 10:36

When I google I find an article titled 'Bind keys with xbindkeys' which describes how to bind mousekeys to keyboard shortcuts*, the above might not exactly be possible but something close to it might be - I'm no linux user but surely you're not the first who wants to do this so it should be possible, perhaps ask on askubuntu people with linux experience might know how to help you.

-------
# Forward
"xte 'keydown Alt_L' 'key Right' 'keyup Alt_L'"
b:7
-------
ziii

19 Jan 2016, 03:26

notalinuxuser wrote:but something close
It is the point -
- it is not possible by xbindkeys or etc to process key-press like:
1. press&hold mouse extra button 1, then press left mouse button - to shortkey {Ctrl + Shift + Page Up}
2. press&hold mouse extra button 1, then press right mouse button - to shortkey {Ctrl + Shift + Page Down}
I read many articles about, including xbindkeys.

19 Sep 2018, 21:50

Please, please, please support Linux. (Mainly Debian, Ubuntu, Mint). Windows is getting worse as an OS and I plan on switching to Linux in the next few years and I have tons of AHK scripts I do not want to rewrite using another program that is similar to AutoHotKey on Linux. Heck even a open source, well supported version of AutoHotKey not made by the AutoHotKey team would be fine as long as it works for AHK files.
nnnik

20 Sep 2018, 05:52

Even if we would rewrite AHK to support Linux you would have to rewrite all your scripts since the syntax has to change for compatability reasons.
Recommends AHK Studio
burque505

20 Sep 2018, 18:14

People have had it working under wine in the past, although my own efforts with it have failed. I can get it to compile, but the executables crash. To be fair, I've been running it on a much newer distro (although it too is old, Linux Mint 17.1), but reports of problems with wine and 64-bit CPUs abound (which like most of us I have). Also, the version of AHK (if I recall, I can't find the link now) was 1.0.48, which you can of course still download. The wine version reported was 1.7.42 (also ancient), which I didn't try (or even find). I tried with newer versions of wine, compiling both 32-bit and 64-bit wine and doing the shenanigans necessary for 32-bit executables to run, but nothing worked. (I actually bought CrossOver from CodeWeaver in the hope it would work - epic fail.)

If you can get this to work you'll be a hero, at least in my book ;) .

The tinku99 github repository was updated 9 years ago. I don't know who tinku99 is, but from what I can tell that person isn't active on the forums any longer.

Quote from tester:
What works

Everything I used on Windows works now, even hotkeys work with recent wine.

Hotkeys, sending keys, mouse clicks, menus, tooltips, even ImageSearch works.
If you have any luck with this, I sure hope you'll post!
Regards,
burque505
SOTE

20 Sep 2018, 23:14

burque505 wrote:People have had it working under wine in the past, although my own efforts with it have failed. I can get it to compile, but the executables crash. To be fair, I've been running it on a much newer distro (although it too is old, Linux Mint 17.1), but reports of problems with wine and 64-bit CPUs abound (which like most of us I have). Also, the version of AHK (if I recall, I can't find the link now) was 1.0.48, which you can of course still download. The wine version reported was 1.7.42 (also ancient), which I didn't try (or even find). I tried with newer versions of wine, compiling both 32-bit and 64-bit wine and doing the shenanigans necessary for 32-bit executables to run, but nothing worked. (I actually bought CrossOver from CodeWeaver in the hope it would work - epic fail.)

If you can get this to work you'll be a hero, at least in my book ;) .

The tinku99 github repository was updated 9 years ago. I don't know who tinku99 is, but from what I can tell that person isn't active on the forums any longer.

Quote from tester:
What works

Everything I used on Windows works now, even hotkeys work with recent wine.

Hotkeys, sending keys, mouse clicks, menus, tooltips, even ImageSearch works.
If you have any luck with this, I sure hope you'll post!
Regards,
burque505
Wondering if a fork of IronAHK or something new based on the idea using Mono or .Net. It looks like Mono can work on Linux, and .NET or Mono is used by Xamarin, which can be used to develop apps for Android, Mac, and iOS. Looks like Mono can be used presently for Linux, with Xamarin then used for Android, Mac, and iOS. Mono development looks quite active.

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/xamarin/
(Xamarin)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_(software)
(Mono)

With Microsoft seeming to eventually use .Net Core to be cross platform over the next couple of years starting with .Net Core 3.0, but that looks to be someways off, while Xamarin and Mono are here now.

Return to “Wish List”