[Archived, Locked] Suggestions on documentation improvements

Share your ideas as to how the documentation can be improved.
iPhilip

Re: Suggestions on documentation improvements

31 Jan 2017, 20:00

This part of the documentation about Objects states:
__Delete is not called for any object which has the key "__Class". Class objects have this key by default.
The example below shows that__Delete is also not called if the object contains a bound method:

Code: Select all

counter := new SecondCounter
Msgbox, % counter.HasKey("__Class") "`n" SecondCounter.HasKey("__Class")
counter.Start()
Sleep 5000
counter.Stop()
Sleep 2000
counter =   ; I would expect a ToolTip to show up as a result of this operation
Sleep 2000
Return

; From https://autohotkey.com/docs/commands/SetTimer.htm#ExampleClass

class SecondCounter {
   __New() {
     this.interval := 1000
     this.count := 0
     this.timer := ObjBindMethod(this, "Tick")   ; of this.Tick.Bind(this)
   }
   Start() {
      timer := this.timer
      SetTimer % timer, % this.interval
      ToolTip % "Counter started"
   }
   Stop() {
      timer := this.timer
      SetTimer % timer, Off
      ToolTip % "Counter stopped at " this.count
   }
   Tick() {
      ToolTip % ++this.count
   }
   ; This function is the only addition to the example
   __Delete() {
      ToolTip Deleting object ...
   }
}
I would recommend that the documentation be updated to reflect that, i.e.
__Delete is not called for any object which has the key "__Class" or contains a bound method. Class objects have this key by default.
Cheers!
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) - AutoHotkey v2.0+ (Unicode 64-bit)
Helgef

01 Feb 2017, 03:18

It was quite well explained by kon that the quote from the docs is not relevant for this example. However, it is not a bad idea to include this in the fourth example from SetTimer, to showcase relevant usage of SetTimer,f,delete. One could also link to such an extended example from the __delete() docs.

Finally, you bringing this up in the first place was very useful for me, so thanks, and

Cheers!
iPhilip

01 Feb 2017, 12:41

Hi Helgef,

I agree that the quote from the docs is not relevant. What I am trying to say is that the docs are incomplete. In my opinion, it would be useful to alert the user of a condition where __Delete is not called.

Cheers!
lexikos

01 Feb 2017, 19:20

__Delete is called when the object is being deleted. The object is not being deleted in this case, so there is no reason to think that __Delete should be called.

The documentation already covers the issues with circular references.
Helgef

01 Feb 2017, 19:34

iPhilip wrote:Hi Helgef,

I agree that the quote from the docs is not relevant. What I am trying to say is that the docs are incomplete. In my opinion, it would be useful to alert the user of a condition where __Delete is not called.

Cheers!
I understand your intentions. But it would be misplaced at your suggested location, and it is not exclusively related to bound funcs, consider,

class SecondCounter {
   __New() {
	;[...]
	ObjBindMethod(this, "Tick")
	this.that:=this			; Another self-reference that needs to be deleted before __delete() can be called	
   }
iPhilip

01 Feb 2017, 19:40

Hi lexikos,

I am confused by your statement:
lexikos wrote:... The object is not being deleted in this case, so there is no reason to think that __Delete should be called.
Doesn't the above line

counter =
delete the object?
guest3456

01 Feb 2017, 21:35

https://autohotkey.com/docs/Objects.htm ... ng_Objects

although i don't see any harm with docs being more verbose rather than concise. repetition is not a Bad Thing when it comes to docs. it just makes information easier to find and reinforces the learning of the reader, and as a result reduces help questions in the forum :)

iPhilip

02 Feb 2017, 02:38

guest3456 wrote:https://autohotkey.com/docs/Objects.htm ... ng_Objects

although i don't see any harm with docs being more verbose rather than concise. repetition is not a Bad Thing when it comes to docs. it just makes information easier to find and reinforces the learning of the reader, and as a result reduces help questions in the forum :)
Hi guest3456,

Could you clarify what you mean by the above? I am not sure if it's in reference to my posting.

Thank you.
kon

02 Feb 2017, 13:21

iPhilip wrote:Doesn't the above line

counter =
delete the object?
Only if that is the only reference to the object.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reference_counting

Consider the following.

Counter := []
Counter := ""
ListVars
MsgBox, % IsObject(Counter)

Counter := []
OtherVar := Counter
Counter := ""
ListVars
MsgBox, % IsObject(OtherVar)  ; Object is not freed because a reference still exists.
SetTimer stores a reference to the object internally. That is why you need to delete that reference, and all other references you have to the object, before it is freed.
guest3456

02 Feb 2017, 13:28

@iPhilip:
the link was for your reading pleasure

@kon:
SetTimer,, Delete ?

iPhilip

02 Feb 2017, 13:44

Thank you, kon! Your post really helped me understand the issue. More specifically, I learned that:
  1. Deleting an object requires freeing all its references (now I understand guest3456's reference to freeing objects)
  2. SetTimer stores a reference to objects internally and that reference is freed only with a SetTimer, Label, Delete command
Thank you all for your contribution to my learning.

Cheers!
iPhilip

03 Feb 2017, 19:54

Based on the above discussion, I would recommend the following clarification to the documentation language on the Objects page.
When an object is destroyed, including freeing all its references to release the object, __Delete is called. Note that, if the label name in a SetTimer command is a reference to a function object that is part of the object, the reference can only be freed with a SetTimer, Label, Delete command.
glycoversi

13 Feb 2017, 19:41

I've been browsing the AHK documentation pages alot and wondered how feasable it would be to have a collapsable comment section for each section of example code (or just one per page even).

I feel this would be an extremely efficient way to ask/answer questions on very specific areas of AHK and clarify the meaning of the scripts as well for all page visitors.

I know this is probably an enormous task, but just figured I'd throw it out there because I always have small questions that I'm sure could be very quickly answer with such a technology. Until then, I'll keep browsing the forums and documentation!
guest3456

13 Feb 2017, 21:26

glycoversi wrote:I've been browsing the AHK documentation pages alot and wondered how feasable it would be to have a collapsable comment section for each section of example code (or just one per page even).

I feel this would be an extremely efficient way to ask/answer questions on very specific areas of AHK and clarify the meaning of the scripts as well for all page visitors.

I know this is probably an enormous task, but just figured I'd throw it out there because I always have small questions that I'm sure could be very quickly answer with such a technology. Until then, I'll keep browsing the forums and documentation!
This is a great idea, and something that PHP does. At the bottom of all of their online docs pages, users can add their own comments, and quirks, and gotcha's. Actually now that I think of it, even MSDN has this

glycoversi

14 Feb 2017, 01:09

guest3456 wrote:
glycoversi wrote:I've been browsing the AHK documentation pages alot and wondered how feasable it would be to have a collapsable comment section for each section of example code (or just one per page even).

This is a great idea, and something that PHP does. At the bottom of all of their online docs pages, users can add their own comments, and quirks, and gotcha's. Actually now that I think of it, even MSDN has this
No way! What websites? Don't know ant PHP but would love to see the implementation.
guest3456

14 Feb 2017, 08:55

glycoversi wrote:No way! What websites? Don't know ant PHP but would love to see the implementation.
http://php.net/manual/en/control-structures.elseif.php

iPhilip

21 Feb 2017, 13:13

What does the `s escape sequence generate?
guest3456

21 Feb 2017, 13:15

Shit, I thought it generated A_Space, but apparently not. But I'm certain I saw it listed somehwere in the docs..

here:

https://autohotkey.com/docs/commands/_IfWinActive.htm
The escape sequences `s and `t may be used if leading or trailing spaces/tabs are needed in one of #IfWin's parameters.
maybe it only works for that command...?

joedf

21 Feb 2017, 14:33

I think you might be right... It seems `s is only valid for that command.
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

Return to “Suggestions on Documentation Improvements”