[Archived, Locked] Suggestions on documentation improvements

Share your ideas as to how the documentation can be improved.
joefiesta

Re: Suggestions on documentation improvements

28 Dec 2017, 16:37

thanks, i'll update to 1.1.27 and check it out
joefiesta

28 Dec 2017, 16:47

I updated to 1.1.27. I opened up the help, and I searched for "concepts".

1. The search DID NOT FIND the section "concepts and conventions".

2. I thoroughly dislike that the scroll bar now disappears from the sidebar. How am I to know the data is a field is scrollable if I have no scrollbar showing? Windows 10 does this sort of crap. I'll make Windows 7 work til I die.

3. I change the font size. When I close and reopen help, it's back to the default. Yuk!!! (Yes, it was that way in 1.1.24.) The problem is:

I use AHK to detect I have opened the HELP file. I have programmed AHK to then change the FONT size, using shortcuts from the old FILE menu. Those shortcuts, at VIEW --> FONTS, ARE NOW NOT SELECTABLE. why???

Yes, now, there is a button, but now I would have to hard-code the location of the button and hit it a INDEFINITE number of times (well, it might be a certain number and not indefinite--I guess it defaults back to the same magnification level all the time).

all this, after using your help for 5 minutes..... hmmm
TAC109

28 Dec 2017, 17:21

A general comment on the new help. It does not perform well when viewed on an iPad. (I find it quite handy to have the AHK help open on my iPad when writing scripts on my computer.)

Problems noted so far are:-
  • the main window does not scroll properly in the web browser.
    When scrolling, the text movement stops dead when the finger is lifted. This makes it difficult to scroll up and down rapidly.
    Also cannot scroll to top of text by touching the top of the screen.
  • The 'Command and Function list/index' is not shown as a table, rather each entry is shown as two lines with the top line giving the command and the second line giving the description.
I hope these problems can be corrected so that the new help works correctly (like the old help).
My scripts:-
XRef - Produces Cross Reference lists for scripts
ReClip - A Text Reformatting and Clip Management utility
ScriptGuard - Protects Compiled Scripts from Decompilation
I also maintain Ahk2Exe
joedf

29 Dec 2017, 14:26

Concepts and Conventions
Ooohhhh coool! I’ve never seen this before! :dance:
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
jeeswg

29 Dec 2017, 14:52

- @joedf: 3 new pages, all listed here:
AutoHotkey
https://autohotkey.com/docs/AutoHotkey.htm
- I know there's 3 because I decompiled and compared the file lists for the old/new chm files.
Using the Program
https://autohotkey.com/docs/Program.htm
Concepts and Conventions
https://autohotkey.com/docs/Concepts.htm
Scripting Language
https://autohotkey.com/docs/Language.htm

- [EDIT:] I've created an alternative to the help file using an AHK GUI and Internet Explorer, if 'Table of Contents.hhc' could be updated for the new help file, and made available somewhere, then the Contents list it uses could be made up-to-date.
HTML Help alternative via Internet Explorer - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... 13#p191613
- Even if the new HTML Help sidebar can be made to please everybody, I would still be interested in having the old version available by some relatively straightforward means.
- @Ragnar: The contributions you have made to the documentation, and to the side bar, have been excellent, so I would advise you to not be at all discouraged.
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
lexikos

30 Dec 2017, 01:02

@jeeswg: Why don't you use the same data that the help file itself uses? data_toc.js and data_index.js are probably even easier to parse.

If someone wants to generate the hhc from current files, they can use TOC_CreateHHC. It just needs minor updates, like replacing data.label with data[0] (and path/children with 1/2).

Compiling a help file with "classic" sidebar also requires reverting the line under [WINDOWS] in Project.hhp (or a copy of it) and editing or replacing content.js to disable the new sidebar/topbar.
jeeswg

30 Dec 2017, 01:48

@lexikos: You're right, I didn't realise that the 'docs' folder would contain the data, and so I had thought that the data was all in $FIftiMain, and was meaning to investigate that file further. Thanks.

[EDIT:] AFAIK, these aren't listed together in the documentation anywhere:
__Call, __Class, __Delete, __Get, __Init, __New, __Set, base, Next.
Last edited by jeeswg on 30 Dec 2017, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
joedf

30 Dec 2017, 09:01

@jeeswg thanks :+1:
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
geek

01 Jan 2018, 12:01

With the classic sidebar, the last-open tab was remembered between sessions. I always kept it open to "Index" so I could quickly launch the help and start typing for the page I wanted to look up. With this new sidebar (which looks great!) it always opens to "Content", which means Alt+n must be pressed before the page name can be filled in.

Is there a way to make it either remember which tab was last used (ideal) or force it to launch with a certain tab open? Or would it be best to retrain muscle memory? I'm open to any solution.
joedf

01 Jan 2018, 13:35

you could inject some js that remembers it with a cookie? Recompile the docs ?
joefiesta

01 Jan 2018, 16:03

Four other problems with the NEW HELP file (12-24-2017):

1. F6 should move focus from one panel to another in HELP. It did so in help for 1.1.24.03. It does not do so in version 1.1.27.00.

2. The up and down arrows no longer allow one to navigate entries in the navigation bar.

3. The VIEW ---> NAVIGATION TABS menu function does not show/hide the navigation bar. It does, however, quite incorrectly resize the help window.

20170104: Adding #4:

4. The VIEW menu does not work to change the navigation bar. One can not switch between CONTENTS, INDEX and SEARCH without USING THE MOUSE.
Last edited by joefiesta on 04 Jan 2018, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
jeeswg

01 Jan 2018, 16:31

@GeekDude: I misread your question, but I thought I'd share this anyway, in case people found it useful. It lets you navigate to a specify page with one button press. It requires the WBGet function.

Code: Select all

;[WBGet function]
;WBGet function - AutoHotkey Community
;https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39869

q:: ;HTML Help - navigate to specific page
WinGet, hWnd, ID, A
oWB := WBGet("ahk_id " hWnd)
;MsgBox, % oWB.document.url
vUrl := oWB.document.url
;vUrl := SubStr(vUrl, 1, InStr(vUrl, "::")+1) "/docs/AutoHotkey.htm"
vUrl := SubStr(vUrl, 1, InStr(vUrl, "::")+1) "/docs/commands/index.htm"
oWB.Navigate(vUrl)
oWB := ""
return
Ragnar

01 Jan 2018, 17:20

joefiesta wrote:1. The search DID NOT FIND the section "concepts and conventions".
This is because the search database has not been updated. I've opened this issue on Github.
joefiesta wrote:2. I thoroughly dislike that the scroll bar now disappears from the sidebar. How am I to know the data is a field is scrollable if I have no scrollbar showing? Windows 10 does this sort of crap. I'll make Windows 7 work til I die.
You seem to be a very emotional person, aren't you? ;) You'll know as soon as you hover the mouse over it. Shouldn't be too hard to understand.
joefiesta wrote:3. I change the font size. When I close and reopen help, it's back to the default.
GeekDude wrote:Is there a way to make it either remember which tab was last used (ideal) or force it to launch with a certain tab open?
Maybe I can provide a way to run the CHM file with custom settings, but I have to investigate further. However, this requires an additional js file with an object next to the CHM file. If you can live with that, I can implement it.
TAC109 wrote:It does not perform well when viewed on an iPad.
I'll try to look into it. Unfortunately, this will be difficult because I don't have an iPad available.
joefiesta wrote:1. F6 should move focus from one panel to another in HELP.
joefiesta wrote:2. The up and down arrows no longer allow one to navigate entries in the navigation bar.
Shouldn't be too hard to implement (unless there are any restrictions on the F keys).
lexikos

02 Jan 2018, 03:23

Ragnar wrote:You'll know as soon as you hover the mouse over it.
Unless you use a touchscreen...
joefiesta

02 Jan 2018, 13:52

Re: The SCROLL BAR in HELP

I would like to add more information I have discovered about the behavior of the SCROLL BARS in AHK 1.1.27 HELP (offline).

1. The Scroll Bar for the CONTENT section DOES APPEAR if the navigator bar exceeds a certain (unknown to me) width. (I previously reported it as non-existant.)
2. The Scroll Bar for the INDEX section is ALWAYS visible (irregardless of the width of the navigator bar)
3. The Scroll Bar for the SEARCH section is not visible until a search is performed (totally logical). At that point, it, like the INDEX scrollbar, is ALWAYS visible.
joefiesta

04 Jan 2018, 15:16

technical question about forum.

I just revised my entry (above) dated January 1, 2018. But, it did not become the most recent entry in this issue. So, I suspect that editing will go unnnoticed. I would expect the date change to move my entry to the top (or bottom as it were, depending how you sort issues).
derz00

05 Jan 2018, 10:40

Issues are best managed and tracked at Github. Here's the repo for the AHK docs: https://github.com/Lexikos/AutoHotkey_L-Docs/issues
If you click on "Pull Requests" you can see what Ragnar is doing to fix your issues.
try it and see
joedf

05 Jan 2018, 13:34

It's interesting... because I went back to check the results grading code for multi-term searches... I wanted to maybe improve it (now that I have some time due to holidays) ... but now I have no idea what I did... :crazy:

If anyone wants try
https://github.com/Lexikos/AutoHotkey_L ... nt.js#L432
original discussion: https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=5998
joefiesta

09 Jan 2018, 10:22

SETTITLEMATCH MODE

The doc for SetTitleMatchmode contains:
1: A window's title must start with the specified WinTitle to be a match.
2: A window's title can contain WinTitle anywhere inside it to be a match.
3: A window's title must exactly match WinTitle to be a match.

RegEx [v1.0.45+]: Changes WinTitle, WinText, ExcludeTitle, and ExcludeText to accept regular expressions. Do not enclose such expressions in quotes when using them with commands. For example: WinActivate Untitled.*Notepad.

Note:
•RegEx also applies to ahk_class and ahk_exe; for example, ahk_class IEFrame searches for any window whose class name contains IEFrame anywhere (this is because by default, regular expressions find a match anywhere in the target string).
•For WinTitle, each component is separate. For example, in i)^untitled ahk_class i)^notepad$ ahk_pid %mypid%, i)^untitled and i)^notepad$ are separate regex patterns and %mypid% is always compared numerically (it is not a regex pattern).
•For WinText, each text element (i.e. each control's text) is matched against the RegEx separately. Therefore, it is not possible to have a match span more than one text element.
1. I see no reason for the extra line between items 1. 2. and 3. above and RegEx. (yes, picayune, but these are all equals)

RegEx also applies to ahk_class and ahk_exe
This belongs with above with "RegEx:", not in a note. It is not SUBORDINATE to RegEx. That is, it is no different than WinTitle, Wintext etc. The note should probably more properly include something like "Regex is NOT APPLICABLE TO (OR may NOT be used with) ahk_pid, ahk_exe, and ahk_group". (I am assuming that. If that is incorrect, then that is another problem here.)

by default, regular expressions find a match anywhere in the target string
This alongs belongs with "RegEx:". It too is not subordinate and also applies to the subsequent notes.
stealzy

10 Jan 2018, 14:30

I have discover what GetKeyVK() and GetKeySC() search letter in autohotkey gui layout at the moment and return code of letter in this layout.
If character not exist in current ahk thread layout, 0 is returned. Character can return diferent code, depends on layout, if it is present in both.
This important detail is not mentioned in documentation.
Also, it would be great to have second optional parametr for these functions:

GetKeyVK(Key [, HKL])
HKL
Handle keyboard layout, input locale identifier for the thread. If parametr is omitted, the identifier of the current autohotkey thread layout is used.
To discover the HKL of active window use next code:
HKL := DllCall("GetKeyboardLayout", Ptr, PID:=DllCall("GetWindowThreadProcessId", Ptr, hWnd:=WinExist("A"), UInt, 0, Ptr), Ptr)
Examples

Code: Select all

GetKeyVK("A", US := 0x04090409) ; 0x41
GetKeyVK(";", FR_Belgium := 0xFFFFFFFFF01e080c) ; 0xBE == GetKeyVK(".", US)
GetKeySC("E", US_Dvorak := 0xFFFFFFFFF0020409) ; 0x20 == GetKeySC("D", US)
GetKeySC("vk45", US_Dvorak := 0xFFFFFFFFF0020409) ; 0x20 == GetKeySC("vk44", US)

Return to “Suggestions on Documentation Improvements”