jeeswg's 3-item wish list (GUI class name+GUI no icon, A_ThisHwnd/A_ThisIfWinCriteria on hotkey launch, InputBox HFONT)

Propose new features and changes
just me

Re: jeeswg's 3-item wish list (GUI class name+GUI no icon, A_ThisHwnd/A_ThisIfWinCriteria on hotkey launch, InputBox HFO

26 Feb 2017, 03:17

Hi jeeswg,

IMO, all proposals related to 'automatic code conversion' are off-topic here.

Also, if v2 will ever become beta and if I will be still active and try to port my scripts to v2 I certainly won't use a converter script.
jeeswg

Re: jeeswg's 3-item wish list (GUI class name+GUI no icon, A_ThisHwnd/A_ThisIfWinCriteria on hotkey launch, InputBox HFO

21 Mar 2017, 17:22

Yes, I agree. I tried to avoid talking too much about AHK v2 here.

One should note, however, that features are being added to, and requested for, AHK v1, based on (one-way/two-way compatible) conversion to AHK v2.

This is a good place for conversion talk.
conversion logic, v1 = -> v1 := -> v2, two-way compatibility - Page 3 - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... 37&t=27069

I applaud your intention, to lovingly hand-convert your scripts line-by-line. If you ever want to convert any of your code, somewhat automatically, I and others will be glad to assist you, with code and tips.

I hope it does become beta (I sort of think it already is), and I hope you will still be active!
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
Flipeador

21 Mar 2017, 19:10

jeeswg wrote:I applaud your intention, to lovingly hand-convert your scripts line-by-line.
applaud?, why?.
Convert line by line I think is the right way to do it. Doing it with a converter indicates the lack of interest in your project. In addition, you could call it "rewrite", instead of "convert", taking advantage of adding new functions, see that it is no longer of interest in the code and give a complete review, that is what should be done. If you use a converter you run the risk of some small error, which may end up being a very serious error.
That is my humble opinion, and the truth, I would never AND NEVER let an automatic converter "touch" my code for me.

I think this is a total waste of time, just like wanting to make two-way compatibility scripts. Just make two versions of your scripts... and not "all in one".
jeeswg

21 Mar 2017, 19:42

Flipeador wrote:applaud?, why?.
Although I disagree with the 'conversion, no automation' approach, I like the boldness of the suggestion to not use it. Anyhow, if anyone would be good at converting scripts it would be just me.
Flipeador wrote:Doing it with a converter indicates the lack of interest in your project.
Sometimes converting 'var = text' to 'var := "text"', or StringReplace lines to StrReplace, in lines that adhere to a strict RegExMatch criteria, and that don't contain any awkward characters, has its advantages.
Flipeador wrote:If you use a converter you run the risk of some small error, which may end up being a very serious error.
I think this is a very valid point. I do actually read through every line, after conversion, in WinMerge. However, you see, I can do the conversion automatically, but the checking manually.
Flipeador wrote:I think this is a total waste of time, just like wanting to make two-way compatibility scripts. Just make two versions of your scripts... and not "all in one".
See:
conversion logic, v1 = -> v1 := -> v2, two-way compatibility - Page 3 - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... 65#p138565
I didn't insist on 'two-way compatibility' initially ...

Btw great profile pic.
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA

Return to “Wish List”