- OK, you see, sometimes you leave things out, and then people don't understand you.
- I believe that what you meant is that function names are better than letter parameters, because the function name says what it does, and that you can use autocomplete with function names, but not with parameter letters.
- These are good arguments, I wish you'd expressed it like that.
- I don't use autocomplete, I do use hotstrings, and my proposal would work great with hotstrings. Generally, I think that hotstrings are better than autocomplete.
- The benefit of my idea also is that it's easier to modify one parameter, than to overwrite a function name.
Most common tools of editing support auto complete. It is a common concept thats used across almost every programming language.
On the other hand we have your special unique hotstring script. Guess what's more important.
I leave things out I consider common sense and I know to be common sense among developers. You are not a full fledged programmer yet, so you have problems understanding it.
- Are not commands/functions/methods/bound funcs/func objects, similar and related? If someone was incapable of seeing *that*, wouldn't that be the bigger problem? Luckily, both of us understand both concepts.
Of course on a macro layer there is the command and the function syntax. But on a micro layer all these programm elements are different and are used for different things.
You don't understand this micro layer. Of course it would be worse if someone doesn't even understand the macro layer. But that doesn't mean that not understanding the micro layer is that much better.
*You* said that the function might have readability issues, I don't think it would.
Well I think it would - you fail to provide any argument here. A word in front of the function name is more difficult to miss than a single seperate letter at the end.
- Adding multiple new functions to AHK, seems like a harder sell than extending the functionality of an existing one.
I don't know if the source code makes it easier for that, other than that I don't see any hindrance to do that.
Also, being able to always use InStr, and not having to overwrite the function name, is an advantage.
Thats just your preference
- My proposal is about as good as you can make it. But I post things partly to get other perspectives/ideas.
You can always make things better.
Gaining a different perspective is mostly done to learning. Explaining and argumenting about a different perspective is essentially teaching another person your perspective therefore what you have learned.
In something so theoretical as programming argumenting with something that has learned a lot less than you did is essentially pointless, unless you like teaching people.
However it's unrewarding to teach you everything if you basically choose to reject it every time you don't like something and request a reasoning that you can understand.
You should really learn another language or learn AHK completely before you make suggestions like these.