Functions / class methods - force-local mode Topic is solved

Propose new features and changes
just me

Functions / class methods - force-local mode

29 Jul 2015, 04:26

The docs wrote:Within a function, any dynamic variable reference such as Array%i% always resolves to a local variable unless no variable of that name exists, in which case a global is used if it exists. If neither exists and the usage requires the variable to be created, it is created as a local variable unless the assume-global mode is in effect. Consequently, a function can create a global array manually (by means such as Array%i% := A_Index) only if it has been defined as an assume-global function.

Common source of confusion: Any non-dynamic reference to a variable creates that variable the moment the script launches. For example, when used outside a function, MsgBox %Array1% creates Array1 as a global the moment the script launches. Conversely, when used inside a function MsgBox %Array1% creates Array1 as one of the function's locals the moment the script launches (unless assume-global is in effect), even if Array and Array0 are declared global.

Source
v2-changes - Variables wrote:Double-derefs and pseudo-arrays created by commands (if any remain?) are now consistent with variables resolved at load-time. That is, a dynamic variable reference will resolve to a (non-super) global only if the function is assume-global or the variable is declared as global in the function. (Important: this also applies to the vVariable option of Gui.)

Functions default to either assume-local or must-declare depending on the setting at the point the function is defined, but this can be overridden by using Global, Local or Static without a variable name.

Source
That's why I wish an assume/force-local mode to be implemented preventing dynamic variable references in functions from resolving to global vars. The word Local without a variable name in the first line of the function could be used without breaking existing scripts, because it raises an error in the current v1 implementation.

Related: local Vars in Funktionen
Last edited by just me on 23 May 2016, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.
just me

Re: Functions: Assume/force-local mode

27 Nov 2015, 09:52

Addition/modification/clarification:

Local should also prevent warnings like 'local var name same as global' and create a local variable even if a super-global variable with the same name exists. The latter would provide an easy way to prevent conflicts with super-global variables for functions designed to be included in other scripts (UDFs).

Related
just me

Re: Functions / class methods - force-local mode

23 May 2016, 03:27

I'm still missing it! Am I the only one?
Gerdi

23 May 2016, 03:49

You are not the only one.
Win 10 Home (x64) and Win 11 Pro N
https://github.com/Grrdi/ZackZackOrdner/archive/master.zip --> get folders on the quick
just me

27 Aug 2016, 04:29

Any chance this will be implemented?

If you want to share functions / classes it's annoying to have to declare all local variables as 'Local' explicitly to avoid possible conflicts with super-globals defined in the user script.
Honestly, I'm too lazy to add all necessary 'Local' definitions to my existing scripts, but I'd add the new 'Local' statement asap.
just me

28 Aug 2016, 01:44

Thanks, I am waiting.
Elgin

19 Aug 2017, 11:34

I second this request.
jeeswg

10 Dec 2017, 03:29

just me wrote:If you want to share functions / classes it's annoying to have to declare all local variables as 'Local' explicitly to avoid possible conflicts with super-globals defined in the user script.
Honestly, I'm too lazy to add all necessary 'Local' definitions to my existing scripts, but I'd add the new 'Local' statement asap.
- I 1000% agree with this.
- Furthermore, if I do some edits to a function, and add a new variable, but forget to add it to the list of local variables, or remove a ByRef variable from the parameter list, but keep it in the function, I could therefore unwittingly make a function's variable global.
- Thus the main (only?) reason for defining individual variables as local, to prevent variable conflicts, in practice, actually makes things worse.
- Also, if you choose to add a variable from the body of a function, to the parameter list, you then have to remove its definition as a local variable.
- Also, I am often frequently making small edits to functions, and sometimes I need to make the same small edit to multiple functions, and adding a variable to various lists of local variables can be a bit awkward.
- Also, maintaining a list of local variables can be a bit awkward, ideally, they are kept in alphabetical order, and listed together in the same line to save code lines. Plus, you have to omit any parameter or static variables.
- It's very difficult to check that all of the variables in all functions have either been defined as local or global or static or as a parameter.
- Plus, if I don't add the local definitions, this annoys users who use #Warn.
- I understand that handling dynamic variables could pose more problems, and am not asking for this to be changed.
- I view this as the most important feature that, in my opinion, AutoHotkey is in need of.
Wish List 2.0 - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... 13&t=36789
- Thanks for reading.

Some related threads:
replace text maintain case - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... 37#p171837
list functions and list local variables - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35006
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
lexikos

Re: Functions / class methods - force-local mode  Topic is solved

27 Dec 2017, 18:40

Shall this be marked solved as of v1.1.27.00?

I think the only part additional to the original request was:
[v1.1.27+]: Force-local mode can be combined with assume-static mode by specifying local and then static, as shown below. This allows the function to use force-local rules but create variables as static by default.

Code: Select all

global MyVar := "This is global"
DemonstrateForceStatic()

DemonstrateForceStatic()
{
    local
    static
    MyVar := "This is static"
    ListVars
    MsgBox
}
just me

28 Dec 2017, 03:24

Perfect addition! It shall be marked as solved.

Return to “Wish List”