Help file crashing on windows 10?

Report problems with documented functionality
incubescence

Help file crashing on windows 10?

18 Feb 2016, 22:18

Hi everyone... I've been using AHK for several years now, and I recently got a laptop with windows 10 on it. It works just fine... but when I have it launch the help file... it hiccups badly. Sometimes it will lock up right away, sometimes it waits until I start typing in the search box, sometimes I actually get to the article I'm looking for. Eventually though, it always locks up and I have to kill the process. When I'm just editing scripts it works fine.
lexikos

Re: Help file crashing on windows 10?

19 Feb 2016, 00:03

The help file is not a program, and therefore cannot crash. It is just a collection of HTML and related files in a compressed archive.

HTML Help Viewer can crash. If someone can come up with a specific change to AutoHotkey.chm that prevents the viewer from crashing, I'd be happy to consider it. Otherwise, there's nothing I can do about a bug in Microsoft's program (except suggest that you use the online documentation).

Btw, I have never personally seen HTML Help Viewer crash on Windows 10. As far as I can recall, I have not seen it crash on 8.1, 7, Vista or XP either.
Helpy

19 Feb 2016, 16:41

You can try another viewer, if you google KchmViewer Portable you will find it on portableapps - one advantage it has over the windows standard viewer is that is has tabs.
nnnik

20 Feb 2016, 06:29

I'm having troubles when Scite calls it sometimes in Win 8.1.
Seems like that always happens when I have a Keyword selected that's not actually present in the helpfile.
Recommends AHK Studio
FlaviaMichael

22 Apr 2016, 03:30

After upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, my file explorer simply keeps crashing when navigating in folders.

Example:
I go to "This PC" and the window that pops up show all my drives but not how much storage they have/have left. When I try open a drive or folder the window and taskbar closes down and reopen after a few seconds.
I haven't had this problem even a single time before I upgraded to Windows 10 but now it happens almost every time I try open a folder.

Anyone who might got an idea on how to fix this?
I m an online marketing employe and working for "Sports Beam | Sports Information Hub" that is new experience in this field and hope the project will succesded in months
http://sportsbeem.com
metacognition

17 Jul 2016, 18:21

@FlaviaMichael - Do you even know where your are? Hahaha! aside from thread hijacking you seem to not know what forumn you are in.

@Lexikos and @Incubesence - I'm having this problem too! It's very annoying because I reference the help file constantly. Just switched all of my P

I found a couple links http://www.tenforums.com/general-suppor ... -page.html and https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... mentissues

Lexicos, How is the help file genereated? Adobe RoboHelp?
lexikos

17 Jul 2016, 21:50

The CHM file is generated by the standard HTML Help Compiler by Microsoft.
metacognition

18 Jul 2016, 00:34

Thanks,
Well as you've said this is not your problem as you don't control the help viewer.
It crashes on all 3 of my Windows 10 computer when I search Index in the chm. What I've just realized is that I am opening the help from SciTE4Autohotkey.
When I open it from Explorer there is no issue. So perhaps I will walk my complaint over fincs and see if there is any interest in fixing.

Return to “Bug Reports”