Link missing in documentation

Report problems with documented functionality
JoeWinograd

Link missing in documentation

14 Dec 2016, 02:19

I don't know if the Bug Reports forum is the right place for a documentation issue, but I didn't find anything else that looked better for it, so here goes.

The issue is in the Assign section of:
https://autohotkey.com/docs/Variables.h ... ence_order

There are many assignment operators in the left frame of that section and a line in the text that says, "For a description of what the other operators do, see their related entries in this table." I'm guessing that "this table" should be a link to a table with the descriptions — or maybe it means that the descriptions should be right there in that table. It does talk a bit about := and a few others, but not all of them. For example, a search for >>= and <<= on that page shows only one occurrence of each — i.e., there's no description of either. Where is the table that has the descriptions for all of the assignment operators? Thanks, Joe
lexikos

Re: Link missing in documentation

14 Dec 2016, 03:13

It's talking about the table of operators which contains the text that you are reading.
For a description of what the other operators do, see their related entries in this table. For example, Var //= 2 performs floor division to divide Var by 2, then stores the result back in Var.
Source: Variables and Expressions
The example shows you that the "related entry" for //= is // (floor division).

The descriptions it refers to are descriptions of the related operators, not descriptions of the compound assignment operators. Why would you need the latter?

<<= is a combination of << and :=
>>= is a combination of >> and :=
+= is a combination of + and :=
That should be obvious. Describing them in full, including what the constituent operators do, would be quite redundant.
JoeWinograd

Re: Link missing in documentation

14 Dec 2016, 16:59

That should be obvious.
I did not find it obvious, but that's probably because I never use "abbreviated" assignment operators. I don't know if "abbreviated" is the correct term, but I always write code like var:=var+1 rather than var+=1 (having a strong preference for clarity over brevity in my code).
Describing them in full, including what the constituent operators do, would be quite redundant.
True, now that the obvious is obvious to me. :)

Return to “Bug Reports”