Inconsistency with Comma (multi-statement) expressions

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Sam_

Inconsistency with Comma (multi-statement) expressions

25 Apr 2018, 14:23

[Moderator's note: Topic moved from Bug Reports.]

Every time I have reported a bug, it has turned out to be a misconception on my part about the expected behavior of the code, and not a real bug. That being said, I am confused about the current behavior of Comma (multi-statement) expressions.

Code: Select all

i:="1 1", i+=0
MsgBox "%i%"

i:="1 1"
i+=0
MsgBox "%i%"
I expected both of these to produce the same value (1), but the first produces a blank string ("") while the second produces 1. Why is that? I'm using AHK v1.1.28.02.
TheDewd

Re: Inconsistency with Comma (multi-statement) expressions

25 Apr 2018, 15:07

In your first example, you're attempting to add a numerical value to a text string. The data formats are not consistent. It's like trying to add 2 + "Banana" = ??

In your second example, I believe that it's only "working" due to some strange luck, however it only appears to be capturing the first digit before the space.
Sam_

25 Apr 2018, 15:56

I understand that adding a number to a string is a nonsensical thing to do, but as it happens this is the single most efficient way of retrieving the first number from a string of numbers delimited by non-digits. It works with negative numbers too. I have the gut feeling this behavior was in the documentation somewhere long ago, but I haven't been able to find it now.
gregster

25 Apr 2018, 16:11

The docs (https://autohotkey.com/docs/Variables.htm#Operators) say:
Operators in Expressions wrote:Known limitations caused by backward compatibility (these may be resolved in a future release):
[...]
3) The operators +=, -=, and *= treat blank variables as zero, but only when they are alone on a line; for example, y:=1, x+=1 and MsgBox % x-=3 both produce a blank result when x is blank.
Thus,

y:=1, x+=1	; x treated as blank
msgbox % x	; blank
y:=1 
x+=1		; x treated as zero
msgbox % x	; 1
Your i:="1 1" is considered an error in a mathematical operation and is therefore treated as blank, but only when on the same line with the operation. Who knew??? : :ugeek:

So, if x+=1 is alone on a line, it is one of the exceptions mentioned at the beginning of the 'Operators in Expressions' section:
https://autohotkey.com/docs/Variables.htm#Operators wrote:Except where noted below, any blank value (empty string) or non-numeric value involved in a math operation is not assumed to be zero. Instead, it is treated as an error, which causes that part of the expression to evaluate to an empty string.
But this is still true for the (your) same-line case.

So, not a bug but some unfortunate backward compatibility issue... as far as I understand it :?
joefiesta

27 Apr 2018, 08:48

Sam,

As to reporting what you might think is a bug: just voice your problem in the ask for help forum. Then, if you learn it really is a bug, you should report it in the BUGS forum. (that saves the moderators the effort of now moving your issue OUT OF the bugs forum.)
jeeswg

02 May 2018, 15:07

- This is *not* simply the 'strings treated as zero' issue.
- I got some very surprising results (see my example script below), in line with these comments:
Sam_ wrote:retrieving the first number from a string of numbers delimited by non-digits. It works with negative numbers too.
- Were *any* other users aware of this?
- Also, is this documented anywhere? If not, then perhaps this thread should be moved back to Bug Reports.
- Note: in AHK v2, you get blank strings for both examples. Cheers.

q::
vNum := "3abc"
vNum += 1
MsgBox, % vNum ;4

vNum := "-3abc"
vNum -= 1
MsgBox, % vNum ;-4
return
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
lexikos

05 May 2018, 01:18

Unless it is embedded within another expression, vName += 1 is literally a call to EnvAdd.
EnvAdd
Sets a variable to the sum of itself plus the given value (can also add or subtract time from a date-time value). Synonymous with: var += value.

EnvAdd, Var, Value [, TimeUnits]
Var += Value [, TimeUnits]
Var++
If either Var or Value is blank or does not start with a number, it is considered to be 0 for the purpose of the calculation (except when used internally in an expression and except when using the TimeUnits parameter).
There are many cases in v1 (built-in functions and commands) where numeric strings are converted to pure numbers without first verifying that the entire value is truly numeric. In that case, the C string-to-number conversion functions parse as much of the string as possible and return the result even if there is a non-numeric suffix. v2 performs more validation.
jeeswg

05 May 2018, 05:08

@lexikos: Thanks very much for the info.
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
joefiesta

05 May 2018, 08:48

Then, surely
In that case, the C string-to-number conversion functions parse as much of the string as possible and return the result even if there is a non-numeric suffix.
should be added to the documentation somewhere.
Sam_

06 May 2018, 19:37

@lexikos, Thank you very much for the explanation.

Does
lexikos wrote:Unless it is embedded within another expression, vName += 1 is literally a call to EnvAdd.
mean that using EnvAdd would be faster than using vName += 1?
lexikos

07 May 2018, 06:22

:eh:

No.

By "x is literally y", I mean that x and y are the same thing. That thing can't be faster than itself.

Look:

a += 1
EnvAdd b, 2
c++
++d
ListLines
Pause
Result:

001: a += 1
002: b += 2
003: c += 1
004: d += 1
Sam_

07 May 2018, 12:32

Sam_ wrote:
lexikos wrote:Unless it is embedded within another expression, vName += 1 is literally a call to EnvAdd.
mean that using EnvAdd would be faster than using vName += 1?
lexikos wrote::eh:

No.

By "x is literally y", I mean that x and y are the same thing. That thing can't be faster than itself.
You stated that vName += 1 calls the command EnvAdd. That implies that using EnvAdd directly might be slightly faster than using +=, as it presumably involves one less layer of interpretation before the underlying AHK source code to perform the addition is called.
lexikos wrote: Look:

a += 1
EnvAdd b, 2
c++
++d
ListLines
Pause
Result:

001: a += 1
002: b += 2
003: c += 1
004: d += 1
This on the other hand implies the different syntaxes all get translated into/interpreted as +=. One would think, then, that using += directly would be the fastest, but previous analysis indicates otherwise:
jNizM wrote:100.000.000 Loops

A + B   7.822086
A - B   7.793425

A + 1   7.647965
A - 1   7.629782

A++     6.906725
A--     6.837371

++A     7.220017
--A	    7.273083
My current round of testing supports these previous findings:

Results:=""

Loop, 1000
	{
	A:=1
	tic:=QPC(1)
	Loop, 1000000
		A:=A+1
	toc:=(QPC(1)-tic)
	Results.="A=A+1	" toc "`r`n"

Loop, 1000000
		A+=1
	Results.="A+=1	" toc "`r`n"

Loop, 1000000
		A++
	Results.="A++	" toc "`r`n"

Loop, 1000000
		++A
	Results.="++A	" toc "`r`n"

Loop, 1000000
		EnvAdd, A, 1
	Results.="EnvAdd, A, 1	" toc "`r`n"
	}

FileAppend, %Results%, %A_ScriptDir%\BenchResults.txt

ExitApp

QPC(R:=0){ ; By SKAN, http://goo.gl/nf7O4G, CD:01/Sep/2014 | MD:01/Sep/2014
  Static P:=0, F:=0, Q:=DllCall("QueryPerformanceFrequency","Int64P",F)
  Return !DllCall("QueryPerformanceCounter","Int64P",Q)+(R?(P:=Q)/F:(Q-P)/F) 
}
which after some averaging shows:

A++              0.143022241
++A              0.14322938
EnvAdd, A, 1     0.143281911
A+=1             0.144320881
A=A+1            0.196662157
This is getting a bit OT, tho.
lexikos

08 May 2018, 03:12

Sam_ wrote:[That implies that using EnvAdd directly might be slightly faster than using +=,
No, it doesn't. EnvAdd var, 1 also calls EnvAdd. EnvAdd itself is a command, just as

myfunction(n) {  ;  This is a function definition, not a function call.
}
myfunction(1)  ; This is a function call, not the function itself.
One would think, then, that using += directly would be the fastest,
Why? ListLines shows they're all the same thing. The translation is done when the script loads, before it executes. The translation of the text "a += 1" to an action type and parameters is no different to the translation of the text "EnvAdd a, 1" to the same.

The text "a += 1, Days" on a line of its own is also translated to an EnvAdd call, but "a += 1, b += 2" is translated to a postfix expression (a series of instructions that the program can execute in order). This is the source of the inconsistency, the reason being that EnvAdd can only perform addition once per call (but its parameter can be an expression which is evaluated separately).

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”