Installer error

Report problems with documented functionality
geek

Installer error

04 Apr 2015, 18:42

Many people are reporting on IRC that when they run the latest installer that all they get is a window that says "ERROR" with the title "7-zip Error".

lexikos

Re: Installer error

04 Apr 2015, 21:29

Perhaps their download was corrupted. The main EXE is an automatic 7-zip self-extractor. Once it extracts and launches setup, 7-zip plays no part in anything. The main download link currently points to GitHub, but the installer can also be found in the archives. I've just tested both (v1.1.21.02, 2,792,308 bytes) and they are both fine.
geek

04 Apr 2015, 21:34

Three people individually reported the error. The copy of the installer I have worked fine for me. I did not, unfortunately, get a hash from any of them.
lexikos

05 Apr 2015, 18:14

If they are also getting warnings from their antivirus or are using avast, I would suggest they upload the file to virustotal.com to verify it is clean and then report it as a false positive to the AV vendor.
QuantumSingular

28 Apr 2015, 10:23

I get the same 7zip installer error that prevents installation. I'm able to work around the problem by extracting manually with 7zip and running setup.exe.
geek

30 May 2015, 14:00

Just wanted to note that people are still getting this error with the latest installer
lexikos

30 May 2015, 19:28

I need more information. OS? AV? Is the file intact?

If they are getting the message "ERROR", the error is not one of the following:
"Can't create temp folder"
"can not open input file"
"Can't find 7z archive"
"Duplicate file"
"Can't open output file"
"Can't write output file"
"There is no file to execute"
"Decoder doesn't support this archive"
"Can't allocate required memory"
"CRC error"
It is not clear what can cause "ERROR". One possible cause is failure to launch setup.exe from the temporary directory, but I don't see why it would fail if extracting and manually running it works.

I have updated the version of the 7-zip self-extractor; maybe that will help.
QuantumSingular

30 May 2015, 19:35

Windows XP, Kaspersky AV, and I suspect it may be restricted user permissions set by IT that may be at fault. I can try reinstalling on Monday and see if it's now successful.
lexikos

30 May 2015, 19:55

Thanks.

I don't see what restricted permissions could cause this. If they restricted permission to the Temp directory (which would be ridiculous), you should get "Can't create temp folder" or "Can't open/write output file", not "ERROR". If they blocked the main installer executable, you wouldn't even get "ERROR". If they blocked the internal setup.exe, you wouldn't be able to run it after extracting manually.
QuantumSingular

01 Jun 2015, 19:34

Sorry to say but the issue persists.

I tried to determine which update this began to occur so I attemped installion of every install executable from the download folder (http://ahkscript.org/download/1.1/) but oddly they all gave the same error. I do occasionally let a few months pass between updates but I don't recall previously having this issue several months ago.

I checked the temp folder permissions at USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp, C:\Temp, and C:\Windows\Temp. I have full read/write/modify access. Also, I confirmed the environmental variable for the temp directory was in fact set to C:\Windows\Temp

With the ERROR message open I did a folder search of "7z" for the self extracting 7-Zip installation folder 7zNNNNNNNN. Nothing found, so it appears the temp folder is never created or it's created and destroyed faster than the temp folder can refresh its contents.

One thing I did notice that may be of some importance is that after manually extracting the files and running setup I'm prompted to run the program as a user other than myself. (This does not occur with other generic executable files.) The setup executable must be defaulting to this because it knows I do not have admin permissions. If I let it use the default choice it then displays a message, "Unable to log on: Logon failure: unknown username or bad password". This may be a stretch but perhaps it's defaulting the installation to an administrator account and is erroring out since it can't run the setup as an admin.
geek

01 Jun 2015, 19:46

I tried running it as a non-admin account on my pc before, didn't seem to cause any trouble
lexikos

01 Jun 2015, 22:10

but oddly they all gave the same error.
I don't find it odd. The main executable is just a self-extracting 7-zip archive; only the content of the 7-zip archive differs between versions.

The temp folder is deleted before the error message is shown. If it failed to create the temp folder, the message should be "Can't create temp folder".

The self-extractor does not use the TEMP variable. I think it uses GetTempPath().
One thing I did notice that may be of some importance is that after manually extracting the files and running setup I'm prompted to run the program as a user other than myself.
Does this not happen when you run the main executable, without extracting?
The setup executable must be defaulting to this because it knows I do not have admin permissions.
The setup executable knows nothing about user accounts or privileges. It is simply marked so that Windows (Vista and later) will attempt to run as admin by default. (Edit: Actually, the internal setup.exe checks A_IsAdmin, but that is after Windows tries to elevate the process; I don't think it's getting that far. I don't think the scripted part is even running.)
QuantumSingular

02 Jun 2015, 09:28

Does this not happen when you run the main executable, without extracting?
No, the main executable does not prompt to run as an admin- only when I manually extract and then run setup.
It is simply marked so that Windows (Vista and later) will attempt to run as admin by default.
Granted I'm on XP, but could the error possibly be caused from the attempt to run as admin by default?
lexikos

02 Jun 2015, 17:07

No. It does not affect XP.

Setup tries to re-launch itself as admin, but only if A_OSVersion is not WIN_2003, WIN_XP or WIN_2000.

I tested on XP with a limited user account, and confirmed that if you run setup.exe, Windows XP will detect that it is an installer and therefore offer to run as a different user. If you rename the file, it will not do this. If I run the main installer package, it launches just fine (and by design, gives a warning that I'm running as a limited user).
lexikos

03 Jun 2015, 06:17

Can anyone who gets the 7-Zip Error please run AutoHotkey112202_Install_test.exe and post the result?

I modified the self-extractor to show "Error N" if it fails to launch setup.exe, where N is a Win32 error number. If you still get "ERROR", either you're not running the file above, or it's failing at a different point.

If you see anyone posting here or on IRC about this error, please point them to this post.
JeffreySmith

03 Jun 2015, 16:05

I've suddenly started having problems on the forum where it stopped recognizing my login credentials (and I saved them in a Password Manager).

Anyway, re: this request from Lexikos:
Can anyone who gets the 7-Zip Error please run AutoHotkey112202_Install_test.exe and post the result?

I modified the self-extractor to show "Error N" if it fails to launch setup.exe, where N is a Win32 error number. If you still get "ERROR", either you're not running the file above, or it's failing at a different point.

If you see anyone posting here or on IRC about this error, please point them to this post.
I ran this test version and had NO errors (after previously getting the generic "7-zip Error"). It has apparently installed correctly (W7 32-bit, MSE A/V at the moment)

Jeff
QuantumSingular

03 Jun 2015, 16:45

I tried the installer test but got a message saying it is not a valid Win32 application. 64bit maybe? I downloaded the file and tried again just to make sure it wasn't a corrupt download.
img.png
lexikos

03 Jun 2015, 17:02

@JeffreySmith:
Does AutoHotkey112202_Install_test2.exe work? If so, please try AutoHotkey112202_Install.exe again. (This is a direct download from ahkscript.org, whereas the main download link redirects to GitHub/Amazon AWS.)

The only difference between these two installers is that the original uses a 7-zip binary (7zS2.sfx) distributed by the developers of 7-zip, whereas the test2 version uses a binary I compiled from their source code using Visual C++ 2013.

About your login credentials - are you registered on this forum? It's separate to autohotkey.com. As you've found, you can post without registering.

@QuantumSingular: Sorry, this version does not support Windows XP (because of Visual C++ 2013). I'll see if I can fix this soon.
rommmcek

04 Jun 2015, 04:09

Hi every one!

May be will help order of precedence.
If I run AutoHotkey112202_Install_test.exe or AutoHotkey112202_Install_test2.exe first appears antivirus popup then setup.exe window.
After ca 10 sec setup.exe window disappears, antivirus reports no problems and AutoHotkey Setup window appears properly.
However if I abort antivirus soon after it appears, I get 7-Zip Error 5.
So I usually disable antivirus before installing AutoHotkey and I have absolute no problems at all!

bye!
Attachments
First Pic.png
Sec Pic.png
7-Zip Error.png
7-Zip Error.png (4.04 KiB) Viewed 9657 times

Return to “Bug Reports”